Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    I've always been a little afraid of getting a big Ego... ;)
    i wonder sometimes how mine fits through the door!

keb
    You know what would probably be perfect for what I am talking about? A bag a little smaller than the ID, which seems like it might be a little large for what I would want to carry around on the weekends when I carry around my Empire Builder and which I doubt my wife would want to carry when I am not around, and larger than the Imago, which might fit the amateur photo/video stuff but prob not with much else. It would be configured like the Ego with the ability to put a water bottle on each end and front pockets to keep the cookie crumbs off the stuff in the main compartment, which would accommodate inserts to protect the $$$ stuff. So essentially an Ego in the 17-18 liter volume range-- maybe.... the Alter Ego...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    You know what would probably be perfect for what I am talking about? A bag a little smaller than the ID, which seems like it might be a little large for what I would want to carry around on the weekends when I carry around my Empire Builder and which I doubt my wife would want to carry when I am not around, and larger than the Imago, which might fit the amateur photo/video stuff but prob not with much else. It would be configured like the Ego with the ability to put a water bottle on each end and front pockets to keep the cookie crumbs off the stuff in the main compartment, which would accommodate inserts to protect the $$$ stuff. So essentially an Ego in the 17-18 liter volume range-- maybe.... the Alter Ego...
    so if i understand correctly, the alter ego would be designed like the ego, and be sized between the id and imago?

the imago's dimensions are 14.5" x 12.25" x 3.5."

the id's dimensions are 15.75 x 12 x 5.5."

the ego's dimensions are 15.3" x 13.3" x 6.3".

the super ego's dimensions are 17" x 14.5" x 6.75."

what i really like about the ego is the fact that its depth (is that what you would call it? - i'm talking about the 6.3"). this allows you to pack a lot of stuff into the ego.

since the super ego is bigger in that dimension - 6.75", i would like to see the alter ego not reduce too much in that dimension. i understand that the bag size needs to be proportionate, but making the alter ego sized between the id and image shouldn't take away too much in this dimension.

i understand the design of the ego and super ego is different than the imago and id.

let me see if i can do my math here. the alter ego could be 14.75" x 12.8" x 6" - multiplied the dimensions of the ego by 0.965 and rounded.

the design of the ego is different than the id, but the dimensions of the alter ego and id would not be too different.

tom, what do you think?

keb
    Making it unisex in size would be important. It shouldn't be large enough that I get in trouble if I tell my wife to bring it somewhere because I forgot it. I think the top of the main compartment would also have to have some kind of closure apparatus under the flap so that if it is being used as a photo/video bag nothing will fall out if the front is unclasped (I had an old Nikon camera bag that was like that and it was not good...) but that maybe could be folded in on itself and secured to use it as a true messenger bag. Having the ability to carry a water bottle on each end would be huge. You might even try to figure out a way to have straps to allow a horizontal bottle or umbrella on top in front of the handle...
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

keb
    Actually the Side Effect looks like a fantastic solution for extra batteries and memory cards and a cable or two. I can see it in one end of the main compartment, o-ring clipped to keep it from flopping around...

keb
    maverick-- somehow i missed your ruck's sack camera video. that was pretty cool. the cafe bags would not hold the larger DSLRs because of the depth problem, I see, and even if they did you would have the problem of having to pile the other stuff on top of your camera equipment. I should be getting the Domke lens wrap (15") and the zing medium pouch tomorrow, so by tomorrow night I should have some idea how the canon hf11 fits in the zing pouch. I think it will be perfect and allows for vertical placement within what ever bag I use, which means it only requires the space of a telephoto lens. as for your impressive lens collection, i hear the big nikon telezooms with the VR built in are unbelievable...

keb
    ok, just saw the large cafe camera equipment video... i apologize for being a little behind the times.... still like the alter ego concept as a streamlined one-bag overloaded dad solution....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0