Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator

what's in your shop bag?

not a picture, but a little video of what the shop bag will hold...

-m
    Last edited by maverick; 01-02-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Great video... thanks for putting that together and sharing!

Karl

Volunteer Moderator

Great Demo of Shop Bag Contents

Hi Maverick,

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    not a picture, but a little video of what the shop bag will hold...

-m
    Very nice! As another fan of the Sapphire/White Dyneema combination, I'm glad to see you availed yourself of this combination while it was available:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to comment on the addition of the Sapphire/White combination to the color offerings on the Shop Bag page, but so far nobody has squeaked. Of course, I waited to include this in my order before posting.
    Just a few additional comments: The half gallon of milk is taken out of one of the side pockets -- one of the nice innovations that make it easier to carry loads evenly distributed and also that works to keep cold beverages thermally separated. Take a look at the picture in rabergnc's post with the Shop Bag turned inside out to see one of these pockets at the right side of the bag, then scroll up to read his comments about using the side pockets for heavy wine bottles. Another thing you can see in Maverick's video (when he picks up the second Shop Bag) is that the bag retains its shape well when used, despite being very light-weight and foldable (see e.g., the pictures of the Shop Bag in the blog). It's really this combination of features that makes the bag unique. Very light-weight bags of recyclable plastic sag when loaded with heavy items, while heavier canvas bags that maintain their shape can't be easily folded down into something you can carry in your pocket. This also makes the Shop Bag an extremely practical travel accessory.

When was the Sapphire/White color offered for the Shop Bag? I would definitely love to have one in that color.

BTW, maverick, nice video on what the Shop Bag holds!
    Last edited by amunoz83; 01-22-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by amunoz83 View Post
    When was the Sapphire/White color offered for the Shop Bag? I would definitely love to have one in that color.

BTW, maverick, nice video on what the Shop Bag holds!
    they were available for a little while, but there was a limited quantity of sapphire/white dyneema fabric left in supply.

it would be very cool to see more of this fabric in a variety of offerings!

-m

I think I need one. Dyneema is an amazing material. I have a GoLite daypack and it's amazingly light and strong.

Volunteer Moderator

rehosted

hi folks,

here is another link to the video. i am having a lot of issues with my service provider recently.

sorry for any inconvenience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The new link actually doesn't work for me, but the first does.

Thanks so much for uploading that video! I think I need to get a shop bag. I buy the cheap $1 bags they sell in the grocery store, and I have a canvas trader joe's bag, but I would love something more durable and lightweight. The $1 bags break down quickly and the straps aren't very comfortable. I do rather like my trader joe's bag, but canvas gets dirty so easily.

My only complaint about your video is that you have the bag in sapphire and it's so pretty and I want it but I can't have it! :D

Volunteer Moderator
    hi timarelay,

the handles of the shop bag are far more comfortable than any other reusable grocery store bag i have used!

maybe we can get someone with the solar or steel shop bag to post a video? :)

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay View Post
    The new link actually doesn't work for me, but the first does.

Thanks so much for uploading that video! I think I need to get a shop bag. I buy the cheap $1 bags they sell in the grocery store, and I have a canvas trader joe's bag, but I would love something more durable and lightweight. The $1 bags break down quickly and the straps aren't very comfortable. I do rather like my trader joe's bag, but canvas gets dirty so easily.

My only complaint about your video is that you have the bag in sapphire and it's so pretty and I want it but I can't have it! :D

Volunteer Moderator

great for trips to the bookstore or library!

the shop bag isn't just for groceries. it makes a great companion when you're picking up reading material at the bookstore or library!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alright, the more I go through this website the more I want to procure! However, I think maverick has convinced me with this one pic why I need a shop bag. I go to the bank, library, post office, grocery and even the coffee shop all in one outing since I live in a very walkable neighborhood of the emerald city. It's true the reusable grocery bags the stores provide dig into my shoulder and provide a bit of back pain for my efforts and it's starting to tick me off. I'll likely freecycle all but 1 of them. It would be nice to have on my travels as well since you bag yourself in Europe and I like to bag myself even here.

Wondering about the durability though. $30 is a bit steep for a grocery/library sack that won't hold up to my demands. I make toddlers look tame so I have been told!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by katiya View Post
    Alright, the more I go through this website the more I want to procure! However, I think maverick has convinced me with this one pic why I need a shop bag. I go to the bank, library, post office, grocery and even the coffee shop all in one outing since I live in a very walkable neighborhood of the emerald city. It's true the reusable grocery bags the stores provide dig into my shoulder and provide a bit of back pain for my efforts and it's starting to tick me off. I'll likely freecycle all but 1 of them. It would be nice to have on my travels as well since you bag yourself in Europe and I like to bag myself even here.

Wondering about the durability though. $30 is a bit steep for a grocery/library sack that won't hold up to my demands. I make toddlers look tame so I have been told!
    hi katiya,

welcome to the forum!

the shop bag is made of rip-stop dyneema fabric, which is pretty darned tough and ridiculously light in weight. even with the most demanding use, you shouldn't have any issues.

one of my favorite aspects about the shop bag is how nicely it folds up, making it easy to carry and pull out when you need it.

the poron padded handles make the shop bag very comfortable to carry. you appreciate how nice they are if you ever have to carry a regular reusable grocery bag after having carried the shop bag.

Thanks maverick for the testimonial and the sweet welcome. Sorry for the delay in replying.

I live about 2 blocks from my 2 nearest grocery stores so I walk over when I need to pick up items on smaller grocery trips. Sometimes I have eyes bigger than my grocery bag can hold mentality. I try not to do that so often but sometimes it's a necessity.

Yeah, I don't care for the shoulder aches after regular grocery bags have worked me over. That selling point alone just about has me picking up a few along with the folding the bag into my purse/bag until I need it at the market.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi,

According to the latest tweet from Tom Bihn, we should be seeing the larger Shop Bag introduced tomorrow. Amazing the planned timetable of a summer addition held up in the light of all the other new product releases. I'm looking forward to this. The current Shop Bag is very handy (especially to take along when traveling), but I sometimes want a larger bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The handles of the Shop Bag aren't quite as long as the handles on the Swift. The next batch of Shop Bags will have handles the same length as the Swift. We also plan to introduce a larger Shop Bag this summer.

Personally, the handle length of the Shop Bag works for me - I've been using the Shop Bag as my everyday bag (when I'm not carrying my laptop) since it came out. :)
    moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    moriond,

You were exactly right!

Note: the handles of the Small Shop Bag will remain the same length as they've always been while the Large Shop Bag will have longer handles - the same length as the handles of the Swift. At least for now.

We'll post pictures of the Large Shop Bag next week.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0