Aeronaut Bag On UK Tour

As always, I managed to stuff an amazing amount of stuff into my Aeronaut. This trip involved a US>UK>Switzerland>UK>US itinerary. While in London, I lived out of the Aeronaut for 4 days plus 2 days in Cambridge. That's a total of 6 days (5 nights). I also carried a Brain Cell with 17"Powerbook as my travel computer.
    New Lessons Learned:
    1) Avoid London's Heathrow Airport as delays/cancellations are far more frequent than via London's Gatwick airport.
    2) The Aeronaut's hide-away backpack straps allow you to convert it from shoulder carry to back carry. This in turn allows it to better withstand Heathrow's legendary 2 hr Lines without the traveler developing severe shoulder and back pain.
    3) Avoid trying to lug anything that does not have wheels on travel.
    Picture below tells the story.
    Frame 1) - Serene wait at Washington Dulles Airport (IAD)
    Frame 2)- LON>GVA Cancelled, Line up to get re-ticketed (1.25 Hrs)
    Frame 3)- Earlier that evening- checking the Aeronaut's carry-on worthiness.
    Frame 4) - Second line for Hotel Vouchers (45Mins)
    Frame 5) - Line for the Hotel Bus (40Mins)
    Frame 6) - Airport Hotel
    Frame 7) - Free Dinner that was more insult than nutrition.
    Without access to luggage carts, I had to hand carry a huge box that I lugged along with me. I managed to rig a DIY carry handle for it but it was still very unwieldy. Were it not for the back-pack-ability of my Aeronaut, I would have never managed on this trip. To be able to pack 6 days of travel stuff makes the Aeronaut my Go-To Carry-On bag every time I travel. The Brain Cell was also a champ- taking a fair bit of abuse, as 50 fellow travelers and me jockeyed for good positioning in lines and to board/disembark the bus.
    I shared one Absolute strap between the Aeronaut and the Brain Cell.
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 07-13-2008 at 03:05 PM.

PS: To the Heathrow Security person that confiscated my Quince Jelly out of the Aeronaut...
    Damn Your Eyes!
    Hope you had a nice tea with it!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Awesome pictures and report, Zephyrnoid! Thank you!

Darn about the Quince Jelly! What DOES happen to those confiscated goodies?
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Uh, Darcy, if you really want to know, get on the 194 some day and go to Federal Way. Enough Customs/TSA agents will get on the bus at Sea-Tac for you to ask one if you're on for a shift change. Oh, it's depressing.....

Oh, Zephyrnoid: Love that sizer-box pic!
    Last edited by aiethabell; 07-23-2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    Uh, Darcy, if you really want to know, get on the 194 some day and go to Federal Way. Enough Customs/TSA agents will get on the bus at Sea-Tac for you to ask one if you're on for a shift change. Oh, it's depressing.....!
    Yikes!!

Hey, aiethabell -- you're local. Have you come by and been given a tour of our factory yet? If not and you'd like one, email me and we'll arrange something.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Well. Pocket knives, Multitools and the such, end up on e-bay and the proceeds are used to distribute raises to the airport staff ( tidy solution huh?). Quince Jelly (hard to find in USA) and other edible goodies, probably go straight into those greedy security people's tummies at Tea Time! Grrrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Awesome pictures and report, Zephyrnoid! Thank you!

Darn about the Quince Jelly! What DOES happen to those confiscated goodies?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 07-25-2008 at 06:12 AM.

Sorry 'bout the missing pics folks. Some nasty trolls have been chasing me around in the real worls, using my overly exposed Internet pics as a guide for 'whom to look for'. Sorry.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0