Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Tri-Star and DLBCase

Tri-Star and DLBCase

I know a few others have commented that their DLBCase fits nicely inside their Tri-Star, however I haven't seen any photos highlighting this combination. Therefore I wanted to pass this along for others who were curious.

This first photo shows the front compartment of the Tri-Star fully un-zipped with the DLBCase on top. As you can see the there is a lot of room left. The DLBCase is slightly shorter then my 13 inch brain cell and I feel is a better overall fit.

Attachment 9839

This photo also shows that my iPad Air fits in the front pocket as well. The website only mentioned an iPad mini for this pocket so I was happy to see I had the option to using this pocket or the one on the other side.

Lastly the second photo shows the DLBCase inside the middle compartment where I normally stow it when I travel for work. Again plenty of room for a down coat or stuff sack.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420511758.611029.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  323.2 KB

Overall I feel the DLBCase is an upgrade to my brain cell which I was previously using when carrying my laptop on the road to client sites/work. It still remains very light and minimalistic yet allows for a bit more organization for chargers/papers.

Looks like the first attachment is corrupt. Posting again.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420514356.530127.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  348.6 KB

Quick Question for folks with a DLBC already.

Does anyone know if a horizontal freudian slip fits in it if more organization is desired? And if so, does it still comfortably fit in the middle compartment of the tristar?

Right now I one bag it with a brain cell in my tri-star but i've been completely sold on the brain cell. There just isnt any pockets to keep essentials... its just not a good enough briefcase for travel. I have an empire builder for my EDC to work, but I'd prefer not to take that with me on trips as it forces a 2 bag approach.

My only concern about replacing with the DLBC is if it will have enough org to meet my needs to make it worth paying the $$$ over what i already have.

Thanks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vaterp View Post
    Quick Question for folks with a DLBC already.

Does anyone know if a horizontal freudian slip fits in it if more organization is desired? And if so, does it still comfortably fit in the middle compartment of the tristar?

Right now I one bag it with a brain cell in my tri-star but i've been completely sold on the brain cell. There just isnt any pockets to keep essentials... its just not a good enough briefcase for travel. I have an empire builder for my EDC to work, but I'd prefer not to take that with me on trips as it forces a 2 bag approach.

My only concern about replacing with the DLBC is if it will have enough org to meet my needs to make it worth paying the $$$ over what i already have.

Thanks.
    No, the Horizontal Freudian Slip does not even fit inside bags that are larger than the DLBCase: for example, you could fit it into a Pilot, if that bag's compartment were mostly empty so it could be angled in, or if you didn't mind warping the top two corners. (I think one forum member might have shaved these down with a razor blade). It's also too big to fit into an Imago. The horizontal Freudian Slip does fit into the Cadet, which is larger (and also taller) than the Pilot, and you can also fit one into the Western Flyer. (Both the Cadet and the Pilot are bags that forum users carry inside the Tri-Star.). It may help to consider the way the DLBC evolved as a minimalist briefcase. For example, @jmoz wanted to carry his laptop to conferences, and said that the Packing Cube Shoulder bag was almost big enough to do this. It's difficult to design a minimalist briefcase and then have it fit in tons of stuff. The Emipire Builder (and smaller Zephyr), are definitely not minimalist briefcases, and accordingly weigh a lot more than the DLBC (or Cadet or Pilot), even when empty. You also need to consider whether the size of your laptop will fit in these bags. The DLBC is designed for laptops up to 13" in size, although @tpnl has been able to carry a 14" laptop. The Pilot has a little more leeway in size, since some users are using it with a 15" retina MacBook Pro. The Cadet can handle larger laptops that would not fit in the Pilot. The Founder's briefcase is another option for use in a Tri-Star, but I have no personal experience with this bag.

HTH

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    No, the Horizontal Freudian Slip does not even fit inside bags that are larger than the DLBCase: for example, you could fit it into a Pilot, if that bag's compartment were mostly empty so it could be angled in, or if you didn't mind warping the top two corners. (I think one forum member might have shaved these down with a razor blade). It's also too big to fit into an Imago. The horizontal Freudian Slip does fit into the Cadet, which is larger (and also taller) than the Pilot, and you can also fit one into the Western Flyer. (Both the Cadet and the Pilot are bags that forum users carry inside the Tri-Star.). It may help to consider the way the DLBC evolved as a minimalist briefcase. For example, @jmoz wanted to carry his laptop to conferences, and said that the Packing Cube Shoulder bag was almost big enough to do this. It's difficult to design a minimalist briefcase and then have it fit in tons of stuff. The Emipire Builder (and smaller Zephyr), are definitely not minimalist briefcases, and accordingly weigh a lot more than the DLBC (or Cadet or Pilot), even when empty. You also need to consider whether the size of your laptop will fit in these bags. The DLBC is designed for laptops up to 13" in size, although @tpnl has been able to carry a 14" laptop. The Pilot has a little more leeway in size, since some users are using it with a 15" retina MacBook Pro. The Cadet can handle larger laptops that would not fit in the Pilot. The Founder's briefcase is another option for use in a Tri-Star, but I have no personal experience with this bag.

HTH

moriond

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the information. I have a 14" dell (Latitude e7440) so i think it would fit in the DLBC just fine.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how much organization it has? I don't need it (or want it) to be heavy or anything either - i just like to have some individual "pockets" to keep myself semi sorted... Really I'd imagine I'd have a few usb gizmos, power brick, tablet, keys, biz cards -- that kind of stuff. I have more in my empire builder but i wouldn't need (or want) all that on travel.

I tried looking at the pics to get a feel for it - but I haven't seen any really good pics of the interior to tell how much organization it offers out of the box. Could someone - or does someone know of - a few nice interior pics (perferrably well lit as well)? That would be great!

I didnt realize a cadet would fit inside the tri-star, maybe i'll consider that too, actually come to think of it the labtop bag i got from DELL with the machine is very similiar to a cadet -- but i think the DLBC would make the tristar less heavy.

The main reason why I choose to go the Tom Bihn route over the Red Oxx route when i was making this choice 2 years ago or so was that I liked the organization...... Really I'm very happy with everything I've gotten except for the lack of any org in the horizontal brain cells. The protection is nice, but it just doesnt work as a biz bag for me.

As always, thanks for the conversation...!

Volunteer Moderator
    Take a look at The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review thread for pictures of the interior and comparisons with other bags. Maybe @tpnl will weigh in with some comments, since he is using this with a 14" laptop and also has the Empire Builder and many other similar bags (shown in his pictures in that long thread)

HTH

moriond

Moriond - thanks i just read the entire thread. The very last post sounds like exactly what my wish list would be as well. ;) Appreciate all those pictures.

I'm not sure what i'm gonna do - I might just leave well enough alone as it doesnt appear to have the org i was hoping for. Cheers - brian

@vaterp

I am in the same boat as you. I travel almost every week for work and use the Tri-Star/Horizontal brain cell for one bag travel. This was working out great, but I also felt the brain cell didn't quite have enough room for anything more then the computer itself. In theory this isn't bad because it forces you to carry less, which is the biggest part of one bag travel (reducing weight). But i wanted just a little it more room when arriving on site for work.

With that said I went ahead and got the DLBCase and I am glad that I did. First off even with the cache inside, and otherwise empty, the DLBCase isn't that much heavier then the very light brain cell. And now everything that I was carrying in the Tri-Star (cables, chargers, badges, mouse) now all fit in the DLBCase. This also keeps all of the items I need while on site in the same place. Before I would have to remember to take out cables and what not and attempt to stuff them in the brain cell or in my pockets before I left the hotel.

Back to weight - anything over 18 pounds for me becomes almost too much to carry on my back/shoulder for any length of time. The biggest contributors for me are my laptop and iPad. I know that sounds redundant but I prefer to have both. With that said its nice to be able to keep those heavier items together (and what ever else may fit) inside the DLBCase. This way I can always pull it out and carry it as a briefcase or over my shoulder. This really balances out things when walking long distances and is also helpful while on the plane when i need to get work done or use my iPad.

As far as overall storage - there is a ton. Below are a series of pictures that highlights this. You could easily overpack this thing and add more weight then you intended.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420668854.880354.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  334.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420668879.531711.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  426.0 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420668893.747764.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  320.8 KB

Here is the front pocket that is divided in the middle. The pockets are very deep and go down the entire bag.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420668951.867415.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  250.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420668963.287499.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  330.5 KB

@vaterp, your Dell E7440 will fit fine in the DLBC. In fact, I fit mine in a Thule laptop case and then into the DLBC to add protection. From an earlier post (in the thread @moriond linked to), I had some pictures of what I was able to carry:

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/bag-re...html#post82687

There is some neat storage organization that I have not found in my other TB bags. I really like that the front pocket is internally divided in two.
    The zippered vertical front slash pocket is really useful to slip your passport, receipts and phone. I put a pen in there that I can easily find if needed. Here is a picture of what I put into the front pockets:

Name:  DLBC - Front Pocket.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  359.2 KB

The main compartment has a separate open pocket that I can put papers in so it is separated from my laptop. There is no specific pen pocket so I just clip a few pens to the side of the open pocket. The fact that the back pocket is zippered is great to hold additional things securely. The only thing it does not have is a roller bag pass-through but given its small size, it should not get heavy enough to carry. The only concern I have read is that the Cordura version of the DLBC will collect pet hair. I do not have an issue with cleaning any of my cat's hair off the bag and I just do not leave the bag on the ground. However, the Dyneema version will not have this issue at all.

If needing a bit more room especially for a water bottle, the Pilot is an excellent alternative that also fits in the TriStar. The ballistic nylon really looks sharp in a business environment.
    The Cadet 13-15 also works very well but it is at the limit of what the TriStar can carry and works if you have a minimal amount of other items to carry. See the great post below by @jeffmac:
    http://www.tombihn.com/forums/tom-bi...html#post31207
    If the Cadet 11” version comes back, it works well – but I am not sure if it will fit our Dell E7440. See @UK-Limey’s post below:
    http://www.tombihn.com/forums/bag-re...-tri-star.html
    Some people have even fit a Founder’s Briefcase but it is a very tight fit IMHO – but I have no experience with this:
    http://www.tombihn.com/forums/questi...e-tristar.html
    I also found this thread to be good info too:
    http://www.tombihn.com/forums/questi...-tri-star.html
    My personal opinion is to get a DLBC or a Pilot depending on your carry needs. On a subjective note, what has amazed me most about the DLBC besides its carry capacity and “just enough” organization is that it is super light and tossable - making it effortless to carry and light enough to feel like a part of me and not something I need to always think about where it is or making sure it does not bump into things. The Pilot is similar but not as light- but the trade off is that you get more space and can get it in the ballistic nylon which I love. I use the Pilot as my EDC as I like how I can fit my Contigo coffee mug and breakfast in this bag in addition to everything else. But, if I want to go minimalize and just carry my work gear, the DLBC works perfectly.

The DLBC is my little Sumo bag - tough and strong!

Name:  DLBC - Sumo2.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  358.0 KB

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 01-08-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Hey guys -- Thanks for the detailed responses.... You've mostly swayed me :) (Though in fairness, I dont think it would be that hard to convince me to buy a TB bag:)).

@milpool - the problems you described with the brain cell's are exactly the same as my issues with it. So to hear this solved it in the way I'm looking for sounds great.

I suppose if I add enough pouches, etc it'll work just fine.

Ideally, that split pocket would have a few pen slots or biz card slots, etc... but it is what it is.

Thanks alot!

Hi gang - one more question - I'm thinking I could use a side effect to give me the additional organization I'd like. I'm just wondering, would a fully packed side effect fit in one of the two split halves in the front long pocket with a snake charmer in the other?

Basically i'm thinking of working it like this (Please let me know if i'm insane):

Back pocket: Any random papers I might need to take with me (I usually carry very little paper, so this could also just be for misc stuff - snack bars, whatever).
    Front diag pocket: 8.4" tablet (Samsung galaxy pro 8.4), maybe something like real small earbuds in a tom bihn padded organizer.
    One of the splits: Snake charmer with all my cables, usb sticks, power brick for labtop, maybe power converter when international
    Other split: Side effect packed up with pens, biz cards, etc....

I imagine everything would be fine... but would like confirmation that a snake charmer and side effect would fit in the splits and/or not make the bag so bulky/odd that I should can the idea and just 2 bag it with my empire builder....

Oh how I wish I lived in Seattle and could just pop in and play with stuff.

Thanks!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi gang - one more question - I'm thinking I could use a side effect to give me the additional organization I'd like. I'm just wondering, would a fully packed side effect fit in one of the two split halves in the front long pocket with a snake charmer in the other?

Basically i'm thinking of working it like this (Please let me know if i'm insane):

Back pocket: Any random papers I might need to take with me (I usually carry very little paper, so this could also just be for misc stuff - snack bars, whatever).
    Front diag pocket: 8.4" tablet (Samsung galaxy pro 8.4), maybe something like real small earbuds in a tom bihn padded organizer.
    One of the splits: Snake charmer with all my cables, usb sticks, power brick for labtop, maybe power converter when international
    Other split: Side effect packed up with pens, biz cards, etc....

I imagine everything would be fine... but would like confirmation that a snake charmer and side effect would fit in the splits and/or not make the bag so bulky/odd that I should can the idea and just 2 bag it with my empire builder....

Oh how I wish I lived in Seattle and could just pop in and play with stuff.

Thanks!!
    Hi @vaterp,

The Snake Charmer (Dimensions: 10.5" x 5.5" x 3.5" / 270 x 140 x 90 mm) at 10.5" is longer than 9.8" height of the DLBCase (Dimensions: 13.4 x 9.8 x 6.5 / 340 x 250 x 165 mm), so no, it will not fit vertically into either the split pocket or even into the main compartment of the DLBC unless you managed to scrunch it down, which you would not want to do with cables, etc. Note that a stuffed Snake Charmer would also be 5.5" wide, which is twice as thick as any Brain Cell I have ever used, and a large fraction of the 6.5" thickness of the DLBC. The total volume (3 liters) of just that Snake Charmer would be a quarter of the 12 liter volume of the DLBC.

The Side Effect is slightly too tall to fit easily into one side of the split front zipperedd pocket, but any 3D Organizer Cube (Dimensions: 7" x 4.3" x 2" / 180 x 110 x 50 mm, 1liter volume), such as @tpnl showed in his pictures, will fit here. The SE can fit into the front diagonal pocket, but not if you are using that pocket to hold your Samsung Galaxy Pro Tablet.

However, you can fit a Side Efect into the center compartment of your Tri-Star next to the DLBC. One advantage of using the DLBC in place of the Brain Cell with annex clips is that the bag does not have to be centered in the middle compartment of the Tri-Star, so you can use the remaining space more efficiently.

I think you can pack everything you want to carry if you can get used to the idea of reorganizing to make best use of the design of this bag, rather than trying to fit make the bag fit your existing packing arrangements. I can put an iPad tablet into the main compartment elastic pocket, beside my 13" MacBook Air in a cache. (I have the older full size iPad, so it doesn't fit into the front pocket like the slimmer iPad Air shown in @milpool's pictures).

I use the Side Effect with Double Carabiner Clips as a seat pocket bag on the airplane as shown in this post, however, there are also other ways of securing the Side Effect (including wrapping the shoulder strap around the tray table) described in this thread.

I think the DLBC is an improvement over using just the Brain Cell in the Tri-Star. I wouldn't give up on this idea just because I couldn't also pack 3 liters worth of additional cables and attachments beyond the power brick, tablet, and other papers that I couldn't carry with the Brain Cell.

One of the other features of the DLBC that I really like is how easy it is to zip/unzip the diagonal front pocket if I stow boarding passes and other items there. Even though I also have a Pilot (and a Cadet, and I used to own an Empire Builder), I have to say that this one-handed zipper operation is much easier on this bag.

HTH

moriond
    tpnl likes this.

Moriond,

Hi. Thanks for the reply... I think I could get this to work for me, at least with the snake charmer.... because when I say fully packed, I don't think its bulging at the seams -> I guess I mean it carries everything I want it to -- and there is plenty of free room, so i think I could 'smush' it down to fit.

I currently carry the snake charmer with my brain cell - and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid. It's a) unprofessional looking and b) a separate entity that would just about cripple me if i ever forgot it and left it behind. Just doesn't work all that well -- especially if going out for drinks after work.

I'll take a look at the 3D Org Cube - thx for suggestion. Also, I think it'd be reasonable to put the SE into the front diag pocket and put the tablet in the main area, maybe in the pocket (prob. meant for papers) in the main compartment too.

Just out of curiousity, what/how do you bring along biz cards? I know it sounds like a trivial concern, but I really wish there was some little pocket in there for this stuff, like the front part of the empire builder --> I could imagine a pen slot, a biz card slot, and maybe one or 2 other small ones would be perfect and remove need to get a lot of other pouches. Those don't take up room or weight if not used... personally I don't see the downside really. (I'm sure others would say just get a different bag, but i really like the idea of how small this is and how i could roll it up to stash somewhere else if necessary.)

I mean who doesn't carry biz cards and a pen or two - so the idea that it saves weight seems silly to me given those things will be in there anyway..... Alas perhaps it's just me.....

Tom Bihn Designers... if you're reading this...are there any plans or debates to do so???

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Moriond,

Hi. Thanks for the reply... I think I could get this to work for me, at least with the snake charmer.... because when I say fully packed, I don't think its bulging at the seams -> I guess I mean it carries everything I want it to -- and there is plenty of free room, so i think I could 'smush' it down to fit.

I currently carry the snake charmer with my brain cell - and that's exactly what I'd like to avoid. It's a) unprofessional looking and b) a separate entity that would just about cripple me if i ever forgot it and left it behind. Just doesn't work all that well -- especially if going out for drinks after work.

I'll take a look at the 3D Org Cube - thx for suggestion. Also, I think it'd be reasonable to put the SE into the front diag pocket and put the tablet in the main area, maybe in the pocket (prob. meant for papers) in the main compartment too.

Just out of curiousity, what/how do you bring along biz cards? I know it sounds like a trivial concern, but I really wish there was some little pocket in there for this stuff, like the front part of the empire builder --> I could imagine a pen slot, a biz card slot, and maybe one or 2 other small ones would be perfect and remove need to get a lot of other pouches. Those don't take up room or weight if not used... personally I don't see the downside really. (I'm sure others would say just get a different bag, but i really like the idea of how small this is and how i could roll it up to stash somewhere else if necessary.)

I mean who doesn't carry biz cards and a pen or two - so the idea that it saves weight seems silly to me given those things will be in there anyway..... Alas perhaps it's just me.....

Tom Bihn Designers... if you're reading this...are there any plans or debates to do so???

Thanks!
    Well, to answer your questions about whether there should be specific pockets for pens and business cards sewn into the DLBC, I'll make a few comments about this design that have nothing to do with saving weight. There's a whole set of threads over on Ravelry in the Tom Bihn Knitting Bags forum about using the DLBC as a small knitting bag. You can see @bunchgrass's posted picture In our own forum. Even someone who is using the DLBC for,laptop and Briefcase carry, such as a student, might be annoyed if instead of being able to fit in a Kindle/other eReader into the split pockets, or an iPad Mini, or a paperback book, this were suddenly sewn to enforce use of this space for pens and business cards. I can imagine an irate user stating that they could easily hook a pen over the edge of the inside pocket in the main compartment of the DLBC, so what's with stitching things down so that the space suddenly unusable for books, Kindle, or iPad Mini? And I doubt those folks would be carrying business cards. Also, at least one of the factors behind being able to easily roll up the DLBC is the lack of a lot of that extra stitching for small pen pockets, which would serve to stiffen things up.

I will remark that the front diagonally zipped pocket is designed to work better for flat objects (like tablets), so it doesn't accommodate bulgey items as well. I wouldn't put my fully loaded Side Effect in there (but then I usually carry an iPod Mini in its case and a Kindle among the items in my Side Effect, and if I were using the DLBC, those items would go into the divided front pockets, so the remaining Side Effect is much slimmer and would easily slip into that front pocket). The back pocket (the one you want to use for papers) is designed to billow out, even though it can be zipped closed, and that's one of the things I like about it compared to back pockets on earlier bags, including the recent Pilot.

@tpnl showed a 3D Fabric Organizer Pouch in Iberian Dyneema used for the front right pocket of the front divided (stitched) horizontal zippered pocket. At 1 liter it has 2/3 the volume of the 1.5 liter Side Effect, and is available in clear, fabric, and mesh versions. Dyneema and Parapack will slip most easily in and out. Clear is useful for seeing contents, but the current Urethane is a bit sticky, so the Clear 3D Organizer Cubes might not slip in and out as easily.

As for carrying business cards, do you ever read the Just For Registered members section of the forums? I think that the most recently updated thread in that section might have a workable suggestion for you. If that thread isn't on top, look for the one started by Darcy.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 01-08-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    tpnl likes this.

I understand your points and intelligent minds can disagree .... ;)

I suppose stitching can potentially hurt the ability to fold it all up... i get that... but a few very tiny pockets, unused can just have something put on them.... I dont see how that would stop someone from fitting anything else in there that they wanted.... With that said, you are correct in my myopic view of the world -- never occurred to me that a "briefcase" wouldn't be used in a business environment -- for those other use cases you mentioned i just assumed one of the other 20 bags would be better like a backpack or messenger bag... I mean students and the like i would think would want a nice spot for water bottles and this doesn't have that either....

But alas, given those pockets aren't there, I know i'm not gonna get this wish so the debate is mostly moot anyway... always fun to discuss it though!

Hey tom bihn - if you want to build a prototype with a few pockets, i'll gladly test it for you! :)

I didn't ever even notice there were registered only forums.... [running off to waste the rest of the day] --- my boss would be very mad at you if he knew you just told me this :)

Thanks again for the chat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast