Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: All my blues, including Azure

All my blues, including Azure

Hi all, I always have a hard time decivering the colors. I tried to take some pictures of all the blues I have and it is beyond my ability I have to confess. I tried with the DSRL and then for comparison I took some with my iPhone. See the results.

Name:  Blue1.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  945.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0141.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  325.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0142.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  307.4 KB

As for the colors: Frensh Blue in the DLBC, Storm in the 3D-Clear Organizer Cube, Nordic in the Side Effect, Navy Balistic Pocket Pouch (the smallest Pouch), Navy Para Pack, Azure in the Small Caffe Bag and with the last Pouch (Double Organizer Pouch in medium) I am not sure. I think it is Sapphire?

What I do not own jet is Navy Cordura.

The Cordura Colors are so light-depending. And they have such a rich shine to them. Whenever I see a color for the first time in person I am delighted with how much MORE those colors are in person.

Ilkyway

Pretty! Of all the blues pictured, I think the one I like best is the storm colour. (which is not to say that I dislike the other blues; it just catches my eye more.)
    Ilkyway likes this.

thanks, Ilkyway! i love the color comparison shots--so helpful for understanding true colors. and i LOVE that new azure--sorry to have missed it. hope it will be back--a Daylight backpack maybe??
    Ilkyway likes this.

I love your comparison picture! Of course, blue is my favorite color. I think the pouch you are not sure about is indigo. I have a Brain Bag in Sapphire and an Aeronaut in Indigo, and your pouch looks more like the indigo to me.
    Hawaii and Ilkyway like this.

Radio bug: that can be true since thous colors where both gone when I found out about Tom Bihn I have no bags in them to compare.

luvdabags: but Azure is still there as a SCB, just on backorder, you did see that? Not that I would mind a Dayligher in that color too. But I have to find a scarf or some other assesuar in that color because it looks too "alone" on me without a matching color of some sort. Well I will go on too Weihnachtsmärkte this weekend maybe I'll find something.

i think ELSA from Frozen would like that bag, says my 5 yr old! that's it--i want one.
    dorayme and jess like this.

Had to look ELSA up because in Germany it is Die Eisprinzessin. Just that you know: Azure is quite a bit greenish. In a good bluish way, but more so than Elsas gown. On my screen the second picture is closest to the real Azure.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Had to look ELSA up because in Germany it is Die Eisprinzessin. Just that you know: Azure is quite a bit greenish. In a good bluish way, but more so than Elsas gown. On my screen the second picture is closest to the real Azure.

Ilkyway
    That helps so much!
    Is it teal?
    Gulfcoastgal. .....

ISO. Cork LS Did LS ever come in Indigo or sapphire or red?? Yes would love!
    ISO. Red LS / Swift. & Azalea Swift & INDIGO swift
    In my TB fleet:
    Swift: Turquoise ! /Cork/Black Dyneema
    LS:Turquoise ! /Azalea/black dyneema
    Shop bag: big : Black / Solar
    Shop bag Small: Black /Solar/UV
    PCSB: Iberian x2 /UV
    SE: solarx2/Black dyneema x2
    Aeronaut: cardinal in A-45. / Black Dyneema in A-30
    Field journal : plum

gulfcoastgal to answer you question I went into my home-office to fetch the bag. On my way bag into the living room I passed four different artifissal lights (daylight is long gone for today over here) and what can I say: it was four different shades from quite blue to very noticeably green.

When I saw it first I thought Caribbean see. Sorry that I can not do better. But I can say this: the color is GREAT and it is not a blueish green but a greenish blue. And it does what Darcy said it would do: Bring color to the winter-season.

Helpful? I say as a non-green-person: I love it. And if there is someone who things blue is too boyish but wants a cold color anyway: go for it.

Awesome photos, @Ilkyway! You have caused quite a conflict for me... I love French Blue and was about to order the DLBC in that color, then saw the Linen DLBC in @moriond's photo and decided I want that color. And now after seeing your collection with the gorgeous French Blue, I am flip-flopping back! Oh my...
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    @Ilkyway, Great comparison pictures of the colors, as usual. I agree that your pictures of the Azure/Navy SCB accurately capture the greener tones of this bag. On the question of Sapphire vs. Indigo, I'm going to ask you whether the texture of Cordura on that medium Double Organizer Pouch is the same as all the other Cordura fabrics in your picture. If the answer is yes, then I think that color is Indigo, as @Radio bug suggested. Although Sapphire was available in both 1000d Cordura and the finer texture 500d Cordura, and I also have (Cordura bags in both Sapphire and Indigo -- as well as travel bags in Indigo, which use Ballistic Nylon), I don't believe they have any 1000d Sapphire Cordura left. After they stopped offering Sapphire as a color option for bags like the Brain Bag, Buzz, Swift, etc. they continued to use 500d Sapphire Cordura as a lining option of bags, and for the Snake Charmer accessory. (People who have Azalea Cafe Bags will recognize the Sapphire 500d Cordura linings that were paired with this bag.). So I think that all Sapphire Double Organizer Pouches you may receive are 500d Cordura, while Indigo was only ever available in the standard 1000d weight of Cordura. At least, this is true for my pouches (now that I have received Sapphire Double Organizer pouches). Both colors have been available.

The Indigo vs. Sapphire color identification is difficult to make (in pictures, not in person -- if you see Indigo, you know it from its rich royal purple tones), and @adalangdon posted pictures of these in her Indigo vs. Sapphire; Conifer vs. Forest thread. I also think that at the time you got your DOPs, they did have some Indigo pouches coming through. My guess is that the Sapphire DOPs may have been made in a later batch, as @icebeng posted about his success in getting some Sapphire pouches as a result of the discussion in the Blues and reds in organizer pouches threads.

BTW, my post which included a not color accurate picture of all the colors I thought might currently be offered as Double Organizer Pouches did not include Sapphire, but only Indigo, because at the time I didn't think think they were making these pouches in Sapphire. There's a Sapphire DOP in my post (#33) in @Badger's Daylight Briefcase review thread:

Color combinations Plum FJN, French Blue folded DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect, Sapphire Double Organizer Pouch.

There's also a comparison picture of two Navy Cordura pouches (the backs of Clear Organizer Wallets, one all fabric and one with a Urethane window), on top of Navy Ballistic Nylon (back of Fourth of July pouch and a bag), the Navy Parapack lining of a Linen Small Cafe Bag 2 posts above that (#31) for @jmoz, but the colors are not as accurate as in your pictures (and there's lint on one pouch):

@gulfcoastgal, when I saw these Cafe Bags in person, I really thought your "Caribbean colors" comment describing these bags (over at Ravelry) was spot on. I think Azure is brighter than Teal.

@taminca French Blue is the same great color you know and love, but I also love the linen in different ways, and it really seems to go with everything. When @brendabethman was trying to decide on a Small Cafe Bag color, I took a picture of the samples she was considering on a linen Cafe Bag background:

A long time ago I tried to judge whether I would like linen by ordering a pouch, but I have to say the way linen works and shifts its colors in actual bags is more impressive than you can judge from the fabric sample.

@mangosteen, Your appreciation of Storm shows great subtlety. I think Storm combines with Aubergine and Steel, and other colors with gray tones better than French Blue, but by itself it tends to look more unassuming. @icebeng is a great fan of Storm.

Sorry this post is coming up so late -- I started composing it hours ago, but got distracted reading through other posts when I was copying and entering the links! Thanks again @Ilkyway for your great photo comparisons of these colors.

moriond

moriond, I went and fetched the pouch in question and a gray clear organizer wallet. The DOP has a finer grid and feels softer. And now as you have mentioned it, it has a slightly purple tint to its rich blue. Not to be seen in the picture sadly.

I tried and made a picture: Azure SCL, DOP in question, greay Wallet. I think you can see, that the grid is finer? So that means Sapphire? I love that pouch for its rich color, so it does not matter really but for comparisons I should have the name right. What do you think?

Name:  IMG_0151.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  806.2 KB

Ilkyway

@Ilkyway, your blue collection is awesome!
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

You know how fashionistas want to see that super special Vogue closet?

I want to see Ilkyway's closet. You have some beautiful bags!
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

And now I want an Azure SCB. Which I do not need. Four SCBs are plenty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast