Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree470Likes

Thread: Uses of the Parental Unit

Uses of the Parental Unit

Okay, Bihnions. I rushed home as soon as my meetings ended. And there was my Aubergine PU. I play-packed and took some initial photos. (Notice that the tag is OFF. I'm keeping this baby!)

Part 1. As an EDC Bag

This was what I left the house with this morning -- Co-Pilot with contents as shown, and a Doggie lunch bag.

Name:  PU1.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  58.1 KB

This is everything (minus the Doggie bag, but including content) next to the Aubergine PU. I put the 2 OPs and a Clear Organizer Wallet into an Aubergine Side Effect, which I normally do not carry since it does not fit easily into the Co-Pilot.

Name:  PU2.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  56.9 KB

First, goes the iPhone into the foremost small outside pocket. Then in the front compartment, keys and hair brush into the left corner pocket, two OPs in the middle, and tissues, Pocket Pouch, Safety Whistle, etc into the right corner pocket.

Name:  PU3.jpg
Size:  73.6 KB

Into the middle and main compartment, go 2 medium pouches and my iPad. I tossed in a letter-sized padded envelope (containing a DVD) that came in today's mail so you can see the capacity of this large compartment.

Name:  PU4a.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  66.5 KB

In the back compartment are stainless steel travel coffee mug on the left, 3-cup lunch container with napkin and fork in the middle, and an Aubergine SIDE EFFECT on the right! The SE contains 2 POs and a Clear Organizer Wallet.

Name:  PU5.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  57.3 KB

More to follow in next post...

ETA: Sixth photo of PU packed and zipped as EDC, all loaded up with the contents shown above. Very comfortable on my shoulder and with plenty of room inside for even more.

Name:  PU6.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  42.3 KB
    Last edited by taminca; 12-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Uses of the Parental Unit -- Part 2

Part 2. As a Gym Bag

Here's the PU with the contents of what I would take to the Gym, assuming I cannot go home first to change.

Name:  PU7.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  51.2 KB

As always, iPhone goes into the foremost small outside pocket. Then into the front compartment are keys and hairbrush in the left pocket, water bottle in the middle, and tissues, pocket pouch and other odds and ends in the right pocket.

Name:  PU8.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  55.7 KB

Into the main compartment go the Side Effect (again with OPs and Clear Organizer Wallet) and running shoes.

Name:  PU9.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  67.1 KB

And in the back compartment are weight-lifting gloves on the left, workout clothes in the middle, and socks and accessories on the right.

Name:  PU10.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  73.6 KB

Here is the PU packed and zipped as a gym bag.

Name:  PU11.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  56.6 KB

Next... the PU as a camera bag...
    -- David Whyte

So awesome! I can't swing ordering a PU now, but this will definitely be my birthday present to me come the spring. Can't wait!!
    taminca likes this.
    Collections:
    EDC : SA (with cache) + SE
    Organisation: Large + Medium YSS, Small + Medium DOP, 3DCO, 3DMO, Small WFPC, TT, Q-Kit!
    Favorite TB colors: black dyneema, forest + conifer, wasabi, iberian, olive, burnt orange
    On my wish list: Large WFPC, DLBP, Q-Kits + Shop Bags

Fantabulous, @taminca! As usual. Loving your different usage pictures. How short does the strap get? Can it get as short as the straps on shop bags and the Swift?
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

I swear the label looks like my name is in the skyline. It really does have my name all over it.
    Soon it dies.
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Uses of the Parental Unit -- Part 3

3. As a Camera Bag

Here is the PU with a selection of gear from my Smart Alec camera bag.

Name:  PU12.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  67.9 KB

As is the previous 2 examples, iPhone goes into the foremost small outside pocket, and in the left and right pockets of the front compartment are keys and hair brush, and pocket pouch, tissues, etc... Into the middle pocket this time, I inserted the Side Effect (again, with 2 OPs and a Clear Organizer Wallet).

Name:  PU13.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  72.4 KB

In the main compartment, I put a Crumpler Haven camera insert containing my Nikon SLR with lens attached and a wide zoomed lens. Outside of the insert is a UV Dyneema Travel Stuff Sack with a telephoto zoom lens. So that's camera body and 3 lenses.

Name:  PU14.jpg
Size:  72.3 KB

In the back compartment are 3 small OPs containing odds and ends in the left pocket, a camera filter pouch in the middle, and a UV Fabric Organizer Cube on the right with cables and more accessories.

Name:  PU15.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  65.3 KB

And here is the PU in all its glory as a camera bag!

Name:  PU16.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  43.5 KB

Phew! I rushed to get these photos taken and uploaded, so hope the quality isn't too bad. Initial impression? I LOVE THE PARENTAL UNIT!!!!
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Wow! @taminca, I have so missed your fantastic photo reviews!

moriond

OMG I HAVE TO BUY ONE NOW!!!! Sorry, I'm just MORE THAN A LITTLE EXCITED!!! And thanks for putting together and shooting this so quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Fantabulous, @taminca! As usual. Loving your different usage pictures. How short does the strap get? Can it get as short as the straps on shop bags and the Swift?
    Strap is totally adjustable. I got the Absolute Shoulder Strap and it was the kind without snap hooks. So you can shorten it all the way down the the length of the padded portion that goes on your shoulder. I assume the Standard Shoulder Strap that comes with the PU would be similarly adjustable.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    OMG I HAVE TO BUY ONE NOW!!!! Sorry, I'm just MORE THAN A LITTLE EXCITED!!! And thanks for putting together and shooting this so quickly!
    Me too! I will get in soo much trouble if I do though... I will hold out a little longer to see if Aubergine gets paired with something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Soon it dies.
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Wow! @taminca, I have so missed your fantastic photo reviews!

moriond
    +1! I love all photo reviews, but @taminca is so talented!

Soon it dies.
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Now that the photos are posted, let me just add a couple of notes.

First, the ONLY thing I miss when using the Co-Pilot as my EDC is room to stash a Side Effect. That way, when I'm going out to lunch or for a walk and just want to bring the essentials (iPhone, hair brush, wallet, etc...) I can just grab the SE. Without the SE, I would have to put the iPhone, Clear Organizer Wallet and whatnots into pockets or carry them in my hands.

Second, as you can see from the photos (and the rush) I have yet to play with ALL the capabilities of the PU. For example, the main compartment can be divided into 4 smaller ones, which I have not utilized. And there's also the small zippered pocket on the "back" of the PU. I did not stash anything into it for my 3 test-packs. And without doubt, I could have packed even more into the PU -- that TARDIS thing again.

Third, I deliberately put the Side Effect into different pockets in the 3 compartments. The PU with its many compartments is soooo versatile. The only minor suggestion I have is for the flexibility of converting one of the outer front or back compartments into a single large compartment instead of just the 3 small ones that are currently there. Sort of like how the main compartment is in the A30 or the front compartment of the TriStar and Western Flyer -- or even how the main compartment is in the PU. In the Gym Bag example, I would have liked to put my running shoes into the back compartment but could not because of the pocket dividers.

Fourth, all kidding about the boat-shape aside, I really do like very much the non-boxy, non-squarish look of the PU. Very chic. It looks great on me! :)

I think I need another Parental Unit. In Black for more formal events. No, Navy to go with my TS. Perhaps, Steel since it's so classy. And then there's the new Verde...
    -- David Whyte

Aaah, I had talked myself out of this bag before review #3! Must persist with "steel" reserve.

But if anyone gets a ship notice for a backordered PU, please post. I might crack if I could get it in time for holiday travel to tote my camera gear.

Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote SE * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post

It looks great on me! :)
    Um, how about a picture of this?

Soon it dies.
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Um, how about a picture of this?
    Maybe tomorrow in daylight, so you'll get the full effect :)
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast