Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Daylight Briefcase -- Black Dyneema / Tri-Star - Black Dyneema/Iberian

Daylight Briefcase -- Black Dyneema / Tri-Star - Black Dyneema/Iberian

My first post --

Just received my Daylight Briefcase, in Black Dyneema. Added a Size 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina cache to the order. In short, fabulous compliment to the Checkpoint Flyer that I used for overnight trips (which for old-timers can easily fit some WF packing cubes or an Eagle Creek Travel Gear Pack-It Folder 18, plus the computer & gear). This bag will certainly replace the Checkpoint Flyer for day trips.

I must admit, I was shocked at the heft of the Black Dyneema. The cache within the bag really makes any additional padding redundant. Unless you are carrying lead, the shoulder strap included is fine. My only and I mean only minor issue is a personal preference for the Poron foam Handles. I would have paid more for those. Just a quick summary of how I used it this week traveling to and from the home to office and on a day trip from DFW to OAK on Spirit Airlines (yes - long but typical day and NO additional charges for luggage).

I can fit the following into it with room to spare:

13in MacBook Air
    Charger / with Battery Stick backup
    BEM HDMI Projector
    A day's worth of paperwork
    Two earbud headsets (Shure/Skullcandy in the case)
    RFID Blocking Passport Pouch
    Kindle
    Business Cards
    Padded Pouch for Magic Mouse & SD Cards

I will be waiting on the Tri-Star Black Dyneema/Iberian to arrive. When it does, I plan to show some pictures noting how the Daylight Briefcase [is going to] fit[s] perfectly in that middle section AND the cache system working without removing the Daylight Brief from the Tri-Star while keeping the computer in the Daylight Briefcase.

Thanks Tom and team for making my trips a bit easier.

@David_Galardi

Will be interested to see the photos. I have a laptop in a cache in a Cadet in a Tri-Star middle compartment. The cache is easy to pull out at checkpoints whilst keeping the Cadet inside the Tri-Star itself. Sounds similar to what you want to achieve.

Yep, that is about it. In my case, the cadet was an option, but I wanted something a bit lighter. We shall see how this works. One thing I do know, is that the Black Dyneema will be an excellent contracts to the Iberian interior of the TS.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Welcome, David!

So glad the DLBC is already serving you well. (We shared the feedback you posted on Facebook with the whole crew.) Can't wait to see your photos of the Tri-Star!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

DFW to OAK and back in a day? Wow. Heck of commute!

Looking forward to your photos.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The 1st Trip -- Tri-Star/DLBC combo!

Hello TB'ers

Just an update to my previous post -- The Tri-Star in Black Dyneema/Iberian is in hand (it even came with a nice hand-written noted from the team at TB). The bag is stellar -- color combination is outstanding, and quality is unmatched. As an example of the "sex appeal" of the bag I can state that in over 25 years of travel across the world (over 5 million miles) I have never had one person comment on the bag I was carrying until 12/2/2014 as I entered AA #2315 from DFW to ORD!

Gate Agent "Bee" complimented me on my "Soft Checkered" bag, Flight Attendant "Thomas" asked me where I got it and Pilot "Maverick" politely asked me "What does one of those run?", followed by "I am getting tired of lugging this black thing around" as he pointed to his industrial pilot-standard metal wheeled 22in carry-on. It did not stop there, "Fred" sitting next to me in 1A also commented as I slipped the DLBC out of the Tri-Star. Fred is a seasoned traveler, who appreciated the quality, style and weight of the bag. In short, the TB's passed the Sexy Test!

Now onto the real task -- getting me to my hotel without aggravation. This trip was a two-day (DFW/ORD/PHL/DFW), a combo on AA and US or the "New American". I took a few pictures to show you how these bags fit in the bag sizer used by American. Lucky enough to be sitting in 1st class all the way, but two of the four legs are in the bulkhead (i.e., no space for a Murse (as my wife is calling the DLBC)). I intentionally go through the normal TSA screening at DFW, pulling my MacBook Pro 13in Retina out of its new Cache nestled in the DLBC, which in turn is sitting in the middle section of the Tri-Star. I could not help but think of my 6 kids being born, as the Cache was pulled from the DLBC laying in the Tri-Star -- success a normal birth! I could not resist looking at the perplexed TSA agent that was standing ready to educate me on the procedure that I was supposed to use. There I was, through TSA at DFW in about 60 seconds.

Once I boarded, I pulled the DLBC from the Tri-Star, placed it on my lap -- pulled an iPad Mini from the front diagonal pocket and a Skull Candy earbud case from the horizontal outer pocket. I placed the Tri-Star into the overhead bin on its backside (with the backpack straps and a jacket on top. I was set, as the DLBC fit tucked next to me in the seat. No issues the rest of the way, as I reversed the order on the way out of the plane and carried the bag with an Absolute Shoulder Strap. The bag was heavy, but intentionally so-- it was my 1st trip with the combo.

A little glimpse as to what was in the Tri-Star:

Back compartment

In the back compartment (pictures included) I stuffed the following -- all neatly tucked away & NO WRINKLES!

1) Pack-It™ Garment Folder Medium 18in -- Packed with 5 High-end Dress Shirts & 2 pair of Wool Slacks
    2) Western Flyer Large, Steel Packing Cube - Packed with 1 pair of jeans, a Heavy Weight Ralph Lauren Wool Button-down and a Sport Coat made of Super 150 wool (wool does NOT wrinkle when packed well)

Middle compartment

1) The DLBC w/MacBook Pro 13in Retina & iPad Mini
    2) Travel Tray in Wasabi (loaded with all the requisite Apple gear)

Front compartment

1) Western Flyer Small, Steel packing cube -- Packed with 3 Tee-Shirts, 3 sets of Boxers and 3 pairs of dress socks & 1 pair of athletic socks
    2) Western Flyer Small (All Fabric), Steel -- Packed with one pair of Ferragamo Loafers Size 10 & and a pair of dress socks tucked inside
    3) Two toiletry packs (logged as PCMA) (this is why I like the WF Cube for the Tri-Star).

Curved zipper pocket
    A billfold and Randolph Engineering Aviators

Three horizontal zippered pockets

WOW --
    Lower Pouch
    1) Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls
    2) Keys on a Key Strap

Middle Pouch
    1) RFID Blocking Passport Pouch
    2) NOOK Pouch w/ A Kindle inside

Top Pouch
    1) A FedEx Envelope
    2) The Folder I received from Tom Bihn back in 2010 after ordering a Checkpoint Flyer (still in mint condition)

A few things -- No Wrinkles, No rips -- the Dyneema can take a pounding and if you are a frequent 1st class traveler (upgrades or otherwise) the weight is worth its weight in gold, and most important NO AGGRAVATION -- NO CHECKED BAG, just smiles.

You can take a look at what I fit into the DLBC, but it included:

1) MacBook Pro 13in Retina
    2) Padded Pouch for Magic Mouse, with the Mouse inside
    3) iPad Mini, power cords,
    4) Anker® 2nd Gen Astro Mini 3200mAh Lipstick-Sized Portable External Battery Charger,
    5) WD 500GB Passport,
    6) Flip Video Camera,
    7) Shure Earbud set,
    8) another set of keys,
    9) TB Double Organizer Pouch with pens, pencils, SD cards and micro-clean wipes
    10) Prescription bottle
    11) A Candy Cane -- It is December

So all said, an excellent experience with my TB Combo set -- looking forward to heading out tomorrow on the DFW/LGA/ORD/DFW route -- this time I am out on Spirit and in on United. In closing, one cannot go wrong with a lightweight, well-made, Sexy set of bags in this Combo!

David
    Twitter @David_Galardi

Name:  IMG_0165.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  448.7 KBName:  IMG_0160.jpeg
Views: 916
Size:  266.8 KBName:  IMG_0161.jpeg
Views: 913
Size:  295.6 KBName:  IMG_0163.jpeg
Views: 927
Size:  312.1 KBName:  IMG_0164.jpeg
Views: 909
Size:  213.7 KBName:  IMG_0152.jpeg
Views: 924
Size:  462.7 KBName:  IMG_0153.jpeg
Views: 926
Size:  274.0 KBName:  IMG_0154.jpeg
Views: 912
Size:  299.8 KBName:  IMG_0155.jpeg
Views: 902
Size:  287.7 KBName:  IMG_0156.jpeg
Views: 899
Size:  365.2 KBName:  IMG_0157.jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  414.5 KBName:  IMG_0158.jpeg
Views: 895
Size:  330.9 KBName:  IMG_0159.jpeg
Views: 888
Size:  322.3 KBName:  IMG_0151.jpeg
Views: 896
Size:  454.9 KB

Great post - what did the weight end up for the TriStar and did you carry it with the shoulder strap or with the backpack straps? This is the same set-up that I use and my only problem is that I tend to make the pack pretty heavy since I am able to fit so much in the bags. ;)
    "I have wandered all my life, and I have also traveled; the difference between the two being this, that we wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment." - Hilarie Belloc (1870-1953)

However ..... “Not all those who wander are lost.” - J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

Fantastic post. This seals the deal on a DLBC for me. Now, what color to go with Aubergine and Nordic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Now, what color to go with Aubergine and Nordic...

How about grey, or maybe navy?

Daylight Briefcase -- Black Dyneema / Tri-Star - Black Dyneema/Iberian

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    How about grey, or maybe navy?
    Grey, dyneema, and linen are on my short list. But I sooooo want something in French Blue. Then there's olive. I think I'll start a new thread.

ETA: I'm getting a LS in Navy which is why it is not on my shortlist. When I first ordered (and cancelled) the DLBC, it was Navy.

Last edited by Pokilani; 12-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Thanks for your posting. I have been trying decide and it convinced me to get the TS and DLBC combo in Dyneema. Merry Christmas to me! I was wondering if it will be too heavy but I don't think I will regret my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Grey, dyneema, and linen are on my short list. But I sooooo want something in French Blue. Then there's olive. I think I'll start a new thread.

ETA: I'm getting a LS in Navy which is why it is not on my shortlist. When I first ordered (and cancelled) the DLBC, it was Navy.

(French blue.............)

Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Great post - what did the weight end up for the TriStar and did you carry it with the shoulder strap or with the backpack straps? This is the same set-up that I use and my only problem is that I tend to make the pack pretty heavy since I am able to fit so much in the bags. ;)
    I did not have a scale, but I am guessing the Tri-Star weighted about 15 lbs and the DLBC came in around 4 lbs. I packed this example as full as one could. That said, I just came back from the same trip (Sub out PHL for LGA)... less clothes, same gear -- light as a feather on the backpack, did find my shoulder was pulling using the Absolute Strap, but I was a pitcher, so almost everything hurts that shoulder!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberjill View Post
    Thanks for your posting. I have been trying decide and it convinced me to get the TS and DLBC combo in Dyneema. Merry Christmas to me! I was wondering if it will be too heavy but I don't think I will regret my decision.
    Great -- enjoy them -- you really cannot go wrong with these two, unless you swap the Cadet for the DLBC. That said, with the DLBC, it presents a minimalist a simple choice.

David

Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Thinking about 20b with the DLBC full too. it weight around 4lb. No issue what so ever. Used both Backpack and Absolute strap -- strap pulled a little at that weight, but I have a bum shoulder form baseball many years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast