Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2

My husband is getting a micro 4/3rd camera system soon, and he asked if I could figure out a way to allow him to use his Pilot as a camera bag. After I came up with a nice solution, I started to try it out in other TB bags, and was surprised at how well it works in everything I tried, so I thought I'd share. Warning - picture heavy!

In all these pics, the zippered lid for the insert is folded back to make it easy to access the equipment, but can be zippered up if more protection is desired.

I started off with an extra small Timbuk2 Snoop Camera Insert, which is 12"x7.9"x4.7". Here's what it looks like:
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-timbuk2-14-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-timbuk2-15-jpg

This insert is ideal for a 4/3rd's system with a camera and up to 4-5 lenses (unless you're carrying around that Olympus 40-150 f2.8 - then maybe just 2 or 3 lenses). I have used it for a DSLR with small lens attached, and for a pro DSLR with a small lens NOT attached, but it can't be cramped at all if those are in there.

Here it is in the Pilot, and it's a little crammed in there with a cache, an iPad, and with about 1.5" of files in two large OPs. Without the cache it fits with no problem.
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-pilottimbuk2-11-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-pilottimbuk2-12-jpg

Then I decided to have fun and see what else it could fit in.

Here's the CP - it's a PERFECT fit!
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-cptimbuk2-1-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-cptimbuk2-2-jpg

The DLBP is a snap, with plenty of room to access those two wonderful open pockets.
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-dlbptimbuk2-13-jpg

Please see Part 2 for a few more options.
    Last edited by Bijouxandbeads; 06-11-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Forum Member
    Part 2:
    DLBC? Gobs of room.
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-dlbctimbuk2-7-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-dlbctimbuk2-6-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-dlbctimbuk2-8-jpg

But the one I'm REALLY excited about - this insert fits just amazingly (like a glove!) into the PCSB.
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-pcsbtimbuk2-4-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-pcsbtimbuk2-3-jpgSetting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-pcsbtimbuk2-5-jpg

And finally (since he's been trying to hog in on my pics), the reason I have only one bag in cordura and why I probably won't keep it. Oh well, he's worth the sacrifice (especially because of the fur between his toes).
    Setting up a small camera bag using TB bags - Part 1 of 2-maatimbuk2-9-jpg

Forum Member
    This is awesome! Thanks so much for showing all the possibilities--it's given me a lot of ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Aubergine/Wasabi; Travel Tray, Wasabi; PCSB, Iberian

I like how it fits in the daylight backpack!! That's a great option for me. Thanks for posting these photos!
    Last edited by viewsnortheast; 06-11-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I can't spell

That picture in the DLBC makes me think about how great it would be to have an easy place for a water bottle to stand up and stay that way. I can get my water bottle to stand up in the DLBC when I have other things in there, but it seems that as soon as I take something out (e.g. SE), it falls over.
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

I'm not a photographer, but I can see the excitement! Since PCSBs are relatively inexpensive, having one dedicated for this would be great (I assume!)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Aw man! The PCSB really needs to come in Orange or Blue dyneema now. I have so many uses for it!