Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Co-Pilot as my new work and class EDC!

As many of the forum members know, I've been struggling for several weeks now about finding a new EDC that would also double as my Personal Items bag during flights to an upcoming trip to Southeast Asia. Although Hannah, via email, initially recommended a Pilot, CP or NFTD, I instead opted for a PU. During the time between getting my shipping notification for that PU and actually receiving it, I had already talked myself out of the PU for my needs. I realized it would be much bigger than I wanted, and although it has tons of built in organization I was already convinced it wouldn't work for me. So, back it went and the long wait for my return credit (I had paid with TB gift certificates) began. I finally ordered my CP after much planning, scheming, watching of videos, scouring of forums, writing of lists, and embarrassing sketches of what would go in which compartment.

I got the shipping delivery confirmation at around 11AM my time, and sadly couldn't get home to my box of retail happiness until 6!

But! I did eventually make it there, and gleefully opened my box and set about playing. I tried a few different setups and I'm sure I'll tweak things even more once I'm actually using my bag in application and not just theory.

I'm writing my posts on my computer first then going to Tapatalk to upload some pics, since my laptop doesn't always like to upload pics to the forums.

First, I set up my SE:

OUTSIDE POCKET
    Giftcards
    receipts for work.

INSIDE POCKET
    Post-it notes
    cash

INSIDE POCKET
    Gum
    loyalty cards

MAIN
    COW on 16" O-ring strap
    small Moleskine
    tissues
    lipstick
    pen

Initial thoughts: There is plenty of room for my iPhone 6+ if I want to slip it inside. The SE is actually a bit bigger than I would prefer, so I'm already kicking around the idea of using a 3DFOC as a wristlet style bag.

Next, I moved on to the CP. With the bag facing me, I loaded:

RIGHT FRONT
    Fountain pen
    Sharpie
    Mechanical Pencil
    tactical penlight
    PP (no key strap yet, this might get moved to main)
    Padded Pouch (for earbuds, no keystrap yet, also might move to main)
    Work keys
    car keys

BOTTLE
    27 ounce Kleen Kanteen (snug fit, due mostly to the bottle's height)

LEFT
    3D Mesh OC
    Doterra oils
    iPhone 6+
    Mini Q Kit (16" O-Ring keystrap, used for mini-first aid kit)

MAIN 1
    11" MBA (no cache, although it likely would fit snugly)
    larger paperback textbook
    MTN (left pocket)
    Kindle Paperwhite in case (right pocket)
    Large OP (snacks and teabags)

BACK POCKET
    Paperback text book.

MAIN2
    Book
    MTN (right pocket)
    Kindle (left pocket)
    SE
    Small YSS

MAIN3
    Book
    MTN (right pocket)
    Kindle (left pocket)
    SE
    letter size plastic folder
    (FJN)

MAIN3 is the setup I will likely use most often, with the addition of whichever texts I need that day. From what I can tell, I should still be able to slide my not-yet-shipped FJN into the main compartment. I may have to remove the SE in order to make that fit, but can always use it as a wristlet. I have a few days to play with the bag before I commit to an order of incidentals which include:

Coyote Mini Ballistic pouch (tea bags and other small snacks)
    Coyote 16# keystrap
    16" o-ring keystraps x2 for PP and Padded Pouch
    8" o-ring keystrap for COW...the 16" is already tangling up in everything else I have in my SE

I currently have my large Shop Bag jammed into my Small Q-Kit, but am undecided if that's how I will keep it. It's unnecessary for me to keep that inside my CP, however I could turn the QK into a small toiletries bag that can get tossed into the main compartment if need be. Actually, that with a wrist strap might be the right size wristlet...hm...

Sorry, realized two of the pics are upside down!
    Last edited by jennygoat; 04-16-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jennygoat View Post
    I currently have my large Shop Bag jammed into my Small Q-Kit, but am undecided if that's how I will keep it. It's unnecessary for me to keep that inside my CP, however I could turn the QK into a small toiletries bag that can get tossed into the main compartment if need be. Actually, that with a wrist strap might be the right size wristlet...hm...
    I tried this with my iphone 5C (in a hard case), COW, and coyote micro pouch. It's a squeeze for the 5C, but the small QK is actually a great wristlet-sized thingy if your phone is smaller. If I was still using the $50 Nokia phone that I had until last August, I would totally make the small QK my wristlet.

Kind of hope they'll release a reworked Kit someday with (among other things) an O ring to attach a wrist loop.

@jennygoat, great that you're enjoying your CP. I'm so glad, BTW, that they brought back the steel dyneema MOC <3
    Last edited by adalangdon; 04-17-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Fantastic post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    @adalangdon, I agree about the wrist strap! I'd have to hack the SQK in order to make it work with a wrist strap. My phone wouldn't fit, but I usually carry it or have it in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by jennygoat View Post
    @adalangdon, I agree about the wrist strap! I'd have to hack the SQK in order to make it work with a wrist strap. My phone wouldn't fit, but I usually carry it or have it in my pocket.
    The handle loop with O-ring doesn't work for you?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    The handle loop with O-ring doesn't work for you?
    I'm a morning dunce. Totally was looking at the wrist strap that I ordered with the SE and never checked to see if there was an O-Ring strap! That solves my dilemma. I'll add one on to my "incidentals" order.

Also, although I do like how the LSB fits inside the SQK, it actually creates a wider profile than if I were simply to have the LSB folded into itself. I think if the occasion were to arise that I needed the LSB in my CP, I'd just keep it folded and flat in the main compartment. In a Swift or maybe any of the backpacks it might be better condensed into the SQK.

I absolutely can't figure how you'd get a SB into the SQK. I folded mine into itself and it's pretty big.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    I absolutely can't figure how you'd get a SB into the SQK. I folded mine into itself and it's pretty big.
    Most of the SSB's fit into a SQK, but I just got a black SSB and realized it must be made out of 400d dyneema because it doesn't fit. For the others, lay flat (don't fold anything "up" or "in"), fold in thirds, and roll tight from the bottom up, then wrap the handles around tightly. It will be a tight fit but they DO fit. I'll do some photos later today.
    Last edited by Bijouxandbeads; 04-18-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    Most of the SSB's fit into a SQK, but I just got a black SSB and realized it must be made out of 400d dyneema because it doesn't fit. For the others, lay flat (don't fold anything "up" or "in"), fold in thirds, and roll tight from the bottom up, then wrap the handles around tightly. It will be a tight fit but they DO fit. I'll do some photos later today.
    Jennygoat - rather than bogart your thread, I'm going to start a new one to answer marytattoo's question. I did however want to say that your pics give me the best idea of why people like Coyote so much; it looks so rich and warm in your pics!

Nice choice with the Co-Pilot. An extremely capable bag.

Forum Member
    Initial thoughts on my setup: I think the SE is simply too big to keep inside the main compartment of the CP. Today I had my MTN, Kindle Paperwhite, plastic folder, paperback textbook, Large OP and SE in the main compartment and it just made it too tight to easily grab what I need out without tucking and rearranging. I think the bulkiness of the SE being that it is Ballistic is a contributing factor. I think I'm going to try downsizing into my SQK and see how that works out. If that is too small, I'll tag a 3DFOC and another COW or something along those lines to my next order. I think the smaller size of a 3DFOC plus the dyneema might give me the flex I need to make it work with my CP. also, a 3DFOC will fit in the front pockets as well.

In all honesty, I didn't/don't need to haul my MTN around with me. It's a standard size but not overly full (only one additional insert and the zip pouch). Since I do want to carry my FJN in the CP I think I'm going to have to leave the MTN at home once it's here.

Please - what is MTN? Also, I do use my SE in the CP, put in vertically.

Forum Member

Co-Pilot as my new work and class EDC!

MTN = Midori Traveler's Notebook. It's the item between my YSS and the MOC in the first pic of my first post, or the object in the left pocket in the pic below. And my SE does fit, it just takes up more room than I would like it to. Essentially, it crowds everything else I need to carry which is why I think downsizing that to a SQK or FOC will make the difference I need.

As you can see in this pic, the SE is in there vertically, next to my textbook.
    Last edited by jennygoat; 04-20-2015 at 02:22 PM.

I doubt I could get everything into a FOC, but as much as I've downsized to get things into a SE, who knows? But really doubt I could fit my essentials into a SQK. But I will admit that using the FOC means a wider color palette.

Forum Member
    I've been carrying my CP as a shoulder bag rather than crossbody. It fits more comfortably for me that way. I'm excited to get my FJN tomorrow and a Steel FOC that I'm hoping to downsize my SE into, which in turn should make my CP organization a bit more flexible.. The SE holds an amazing amount of stuff, though. I carried it on trips to Pittsburgh both the two past weekends, once as a wristlet and once crossbody. I just kept jamming more and more into it!

Anyway, I'll post more pics tomorrow!
    Last edited by jennygoat; 04-28-2015 at 02:19 PM.