Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Small shop bag to the rescue

This is a short tale that brings together three of my favorite things: Tom Bihn bags, water bottles, and Ibex. As I was running Sunday errands today, I had a water bottle mishap transpire. I must have improperly closed my completely full Liberty Bottleworks bottle nestled in my S19’s unzipped water bottle pocket, as when I set my bag down the top flew off and water soaked the interior of that pocket and ran through to the lower compartment. Plus it made a pretty spectacular spill in the pet store. As a testament to the dyneema and parapack’s water resistant nature, there was probably at least an inch of water resting in the lower compartment when I unzipped it. I tried my best to shake the resting water out, but the bag needed time to dry.

Luckily, I had my trusty small shop bag in the Synapse’s dry main compartment, so I transferred my wallet and small DOP to the SSB and decided that this water bottle had recently had one spill too many. Which was the perfect excuse to go water bottle shopping at REI, since I had a gift card to use (note the use of self-enabling). And since REI has a big sale at the moment, I figured it was a good time to look. Lo and behold I spied a 18oz Hydroflask with a tethered twist off top that looked like it would fit the bill, and it was in one of my favorite colors. Even better, the size looked perfect to fit in the center compartment of the “new” Portable Culture steel dyneema co-pilot I just acquired, since my Liberty bottle is a bit tall. But I digress…

With my SSB relatively empty still with the addition of the Hydroflask, I decided to stop in to another local sports shop just in case there was anything interesting on sale. But wait…no…it couldn’t be…a huge selection of their winter Ibex items were on 50% off sale. And they had some left in my size!!!!! I completely splurged and found a Shak full zip, Shak spire, Zephyr zip, and Back bay tunic top, plus Energy free tights…all at half price. Kaboom! <Insert happy dance here> And when I was ready to make my purchases, my SSB readily fit the 5 folded Ibex items and a water bottle, no problem.

And while I did not spill my water bottle on purpose this morning, the sequence of events sure worked out! My small shop bags have come in handy on so many occasions, they are like reliable trusted companions. While they may not be the most flashy of the Bihn bags, they are one of my favorite and most used items. Just had to share...

Name:  SSB1.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  114.7 KBName:  SSB2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  139.2 KB
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Well, that is a happy ending and an excellent example of turning lemons into lemonade! Good for you! :)

Sounds like a good day! water leak notwithstanding.

Volunteer Moderator
    Great story, @NWHikergal, and you are so lucky to live in a city where you can not only drop into the Tom Bihn Store, but it's one of two cities that host an Ibex Store! I actually ordered from the Seattle Ibex store when one of the sale items in my size/color disappeared from availability on the web site before I could finish checking out -- I called them directly and found they had those items in their store at the sale price, so I had them send them to me. It's really good that the Ibex garments seem to run true to size -- more so than the Icebreaker garments that I've had, because I don't think there are many times I'll be able to test the sizing by going to either Boston and Seattle, and trying on nearly all items of (even remote) interest to check the fit and materials!

The Ibex web pricing on these items hasn't hit values as low as the ones you got yet. I did order a Wool Aire sweater in S at half price, but although it fits me and the Blue Violet color looks great, I've decided I'll return it, because the fit around the hips is snug (if I decide to wear heavier weight pants, or another item below it), but I'm pretty sure M would be too big for me. BTW, I've found everyone's comments about sizing (@haraya in the various Icebreaker and Ibex merino threads, @bchaplin's comments about Uniqlo garments, etc.) very helpful to read -- even if I'm not buying all of those items! Great colors (my Teal Ibex L/S Giro says, "Hi!" to your water bottle, Ibex kindred garments, and iPhone case), and I totally agree about the utility of the Small Shop Bag. That handsome fellow in Iberian is more than just a pretty face.

LOL

moriond

Forum Member
    @moriond, I have not made it to the Seattle Ibex store since their latest sale started, as that is just such temptation! Every time I have stopped in they are so helpful, and I have made some great and unexpected finds. I had instead wandered into a local store called Feathered Friends that makes down sleeping bags and carries high end mountaineering and hiking gear. They happened to be having an unadvertised in-store sale on some items, and I hit the Ibex jackpot. Luckily, they had a few items in small in stock still.

ETA: @moriond, I agree with you on the Ibex Wool Aire sizing. It has been a while since I tried one on, and while I normally wear small, I think the medium may have fit better for layering purposes, but perhaps the mid-section seemed a bit billowy when I sized up to medium. I happily agree that otherwise Ibex sizing tends to be consistent.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 02-15-2015 at 06:57 PM.
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Greetings NWhikergal,
    Great post. I just love your comment about self enabling! elisa

While I love all my TB bags, the shop bags are so versatile. I use them almost daily. I think my partner has warmed up to them too-- I didn't even get in trouble when I bought 6 more. Fortunately, I bought them before the bag ban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @moriond, I have not made it to the Seattle Ibex store since their latest sale started, as that is just such temptation! Every time I have stopped in they are so helpful, and I have made some great and unexpected finds. I had instead wandered into a local store called Feathered Friends that makes down sleeping bags and carries high end mountaineering and hiking gear. They happened to be having an unadvertised in-store sale on some items, and I hit the Ibex jackpot. Luckily, they had a few items in small in stock still.
    I love Feathered Friends! They have a nice selection of clothing, boots, and other gear, and I found my holy grail of hiking boots -- the Scarpa KAILASH GTX -- there. And, of course, the Ibex store is awesome. Everyone there is super friendly and it's overall very much a quality experience.

Sorry about your Liberty Bottle cap threading and subsequent leak issue, but glad everything else turned out okay! Way to rally!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Forum Member
    @Darcy, thanks for the good tip on the Scarpa boots. Whenever my Lowa Renegade GTX boots wear out, I will have to check those out!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @Darcy, thanks for the good tip on the Scarpa boots. Whenever my Lowa Renegade GTX boots wear out, I will have to check those out!
    Cool. I like them because they're fairly light in weight and narrow in the heel. Great tread, too. I've even had Dave Page resole a pair for me!

Do you have a non-Gortex lighter duty boot or shoe that you like? Trying to find a good pair.

And, hey, if this weather continues, it's going to be an early hiking season...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Cool. I like them because they're fairly light in weight and narrow in the heel. Great tread, too. I've even had Dave Page resole a pair for me!

Do you have a non-Gortex lighter duty boot or shoe that you like? Trying to find a good pair.

And, hey, if this weather continues, it's going to be an early hiking season...
    I like the Lowa boots since they offer a narrow option, so that is good to know that the Scarpas also have narrow heels. I usually hike in Gore-Tex boots, and I prefer that to eVent for boots, though I love, love, love my eVent rain gear. I have a couple pairs of Ahnu tennis shoes (not waterproof) with good tread that I love, as those are great for either an easy hike or around town, and the heel tends to run narrow. I have not tried the lighter Salewa boots, but I have heard good things about them and they run narrow too. I generally wear boots rather than tennis shoes for hiking though, just in case I have a klutzy moment.

Oh my gosh, I have never had anything resoled by Dave Page, but that is so cool! I drive by there all the time en route from PCC.