Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Parental Unit as Gym Bag

Today was my PU's debut as gym bag and, for the most part, I liked it.

Pros:
    Aubergine is gorgeous (I know, duh! But I am still always bowled away by the color when I see it in person).
    Compact size makes it easier to lug around in partnership with my other bags (today a SCB as a PLO and S19 for latptop, etc.).
    So easy to organize! For the longest time, I treated my gym bag as a black hole and just threw everything in willy-nilly, meaning I had to search for stuff when getting ready at the gym.
    Did I mention it's pretty? :-)

Cons:
    There's really only one, which is that it's a little bit small. I was able to fit all my stuff (see pics below for the list), but it was tight. If I had to carry toiletries, it would not fit. And on those occasional days where I do two classes and thus need two outfits, I'm not sure I could manage it.

Pics:

On one side, I had (in the three side pockets) my workout gloves, microfiber towel (packs down super small), and ankle brace/flip belt.

In the middle compartment, my sneakers (in a size 4 TSS), workout pants/shirt/bra/socks/headband (all in a size 3 TSS) and water bottle). In the photo, you mostly just see the solar TSS.

In the other side pockets we have plastic bags (to carry home sweaty clothes), a mesh 3DOC with swim cap, swim goggles, headphones, and extra chonies.

Finally, attached to the little triangle thingee is a Q-kit with my heart rate monitor.

So, it seems as if it will mostly work and I am pretty sure I will keep it, figuring that if I decide it doesn't work as a gym bag, I can always use it for another purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brendabethman; 12-11-2014 at 06:02 PM.

Forum Member
    Looks good! I agree that the Aubergine is really amazing in person, I couldn't stop petting the Aubergine PU when I was at the TB store last week.
    Rambling On. . . . .

I have an aubergine SE and NFTD also, but somehow I still had forgotten. And I know some folks don't care for the wasabi but since purple and green is one of my favorite combos, it works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful pictures. Now I want to buy another Parental Unit just to have one in Aubergine :)

My Aubergine one arrives tomorrow! I love all the pictures.

I have always thought aubergine and solar would make a great combo and BAM! there you go providing the proof! Although the wasabi looks nice, the solar just pops against that beautiful purple. Does it look as good in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by mjmotal View Post
    I have always thought aubergine and solar would make a great combo and BAM! there you go providing the proof! Although the wasabi looks nice, the solar just pops against that beautiful purple. Does it look as good in real life?
    Yes, it does! That would make a lovely combo.

Awesome photos! My Aubergine PU has had quite a workout as an EDC, gym bag and photo bag since it arrived. The more I use it, the more I love its versatility, size and, of course, gorgeous colors! I think my Co-Pilots are getting quite jealous though, especially the Aubergine :)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Thanks for the detailed Pics and review. It's reviews and pictures like this that lead me to see the many uses and purposes this bag can have for someone like me who has no children. I ordered one in Coyote. It arrived last week. I haven't used it yet as I've been carrying my Synapse 25 but I'm impressed with the overall layout of the bag, and how much stuff it can hold. I plan to switch over next week when I won't need to use the backpack/will be hauling around smaller loads.

Forum Member
    brendabethman, how well does your size 4 TSS close around your sneakers? And are your sneakers particularly small? :)

I have an old extra-large yarn stuff sack that's 13" tall, and my sneakers would have too much room in it. I'm not sure they'd fit in a size 4 TSS, though. I'm wondering about a Tall YSS, and whether the width would be enough.

If there's a thread somewhere on stuff sacks for shoes, please point me at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    brendabethman, how well does your size 4 TSS close around your sneakers? And are your sneakers particularly small? :)

I have an old extra-large yarn stuff sack that's 13" tall, and my sneakers would have too much room in it. I'm not sure they'd fit in a size 4 TSS, though. I'm wondering about a Tall YSS, and whether the width would be enough.

If there's a thread somewhere on stuff sacks for shoes, please point me at it!
    It closes perfectly, as you can see:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423066026.548416.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  513.1 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423066043.319102.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  570.6 KB

The sneakers are a women's size 9, so not tiny. But not terribly bulky, either:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423066111.709452.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  474.1 KB

I also use stuff sacks to pack shoes when I travel and they work really well for all kinds of shoes, I've found.

I wear ladies size 10 and my sneakers also fit in a size 4 TSS without any problems.

Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Go Clemson!
    T1D

Forum Member
    Thank you both! That's good to know.

*goes and plans more ways to make the gym gear manageable*

Forum Member
    Next question: from the dimensions it looks like you could slip a couple of 10.75" Ultimate discs (frisbees) into the centre (if you weren't carrying cleats there). Do you think the actual build would do this well?

I don't imagine using it as an Ultimate bag often, but it'd be nice to know I could.

Next question: from the dimensions it looks like you could slip a couple of 10.75" Ultimate discs (frisbees) into the centre (if you weren't carrying cleats there). Do you think the actual build would do this well?

I don't imagine using it as an Ultimate bag often, but it'd be nice to know I could.
    I would think so (although it don't have any to test) but it would depend on what you have in the side pockets. Mine are pretty full which crowds the middle so it would be hard to get more than the shoes, stuff sack with workout outfit, and water bottle in there.