Shop Tom Bihn
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    Forum Member
    The Dyneema A30 is home now and my first impressions are favorable. This definitely shares design elements with the NFTD (or is it vice versa). A couple of questions - does it come with a strap (mine didn't, and description mentions add-on Absolute (interestingly priced at 30 rather than 20 as it usually is for an add-on)). Has anybody here returned the A30 in favor of an A45? I ask because the main compartment looks fairly small (though I know I can pack Dyneema very generously and this bag probably will hold a lot). I can see that if I unzip the side panels I will get a lot of space. Is zipper wear an issue, as in shoulder-carry position, the main zips could clank on the ground (or I could zip 'em to the side)?

I initially thought I'd have to slide out the backpack webbing from the buckles each time I want to stash the straps, but the clip-in/clip-out buckles at the bottom are great and solve that problem easily! Looking forward to a cup of tea and poring over A30 reviews. Very glad I got this in Dyneema - looks sharp! But then they all do.

Apologies if all this has been covered already in other A30 posts; I haven't been keeping up with A30 reviews as this was a late-breaking decision for a trip on which I want to be hands-free.

P.S. Coyote keystrap *sigh*. Just missed it!

P.P.S. ETA: @Ineffable your color-coded item signature is great!

Forum Member
    near SFO
    The a30 does not come with a shoulder strap. I ordered an absolute strap for mine.

Forum Member
    Katy, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    In case @Marsha sees this (post above mine) - it would be great to hear how you use your duplicate bags based on the differences in material. This topic has popped up in a couple of other threads - the various uses of ballistic vs. Dyneema and how having duplicates can be helpful for business vs. personal travel, office gear vs. weekend gear, etc.
    So to answer your question....

For me, it really all comes down to matching my "look." :o

It's actually kind of embarrassing. I first bought the Co-Pilot and the Night Flight in Black to match my other TB Bags -- Western Flyer, Pilot and A30. Then I decided the Night Flight was just too cute in Black Dyneema, so I bought that. Well, once I did that I *had* to buy the Co-Pilot to match. Of course.

It isn't even really an issue of business v. pleasure travel for me, as I wouldn't typically carry the NF on a business trip -- my usual set up is either the Western Flyer or A30 plus the Black Pilot (with a black SE tucked inside as a carry alone, cross body purse). But I decided to get the NF as my carry on item for a 2 week trip to Italy I have coming up in October. Now I'll probably let a family member carry the Black NF while I carry the Black Dyneema NF and matching Co-Pilot because, well.... they just look so darn cute in the Dyneema.

Especially since I also bought the Black Dyneema SE to tuck inside.

My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Hi! First time poster, longtime lurker. Thanks for this wonderful review and great pictures. Do you happen to know any petite women (5 ft-5'2" or so) that you could take pictures of with the A30 vs 45? I have far too many bags already, but not a single TB and I would love an Aeronaut for my travels. I'm trying to move away from my Tumi two wheel international bag and want to start traveling lighter.

Early congrats on yer Forum anniversary tomorrow!

Shucks! Thanks @roarmouse. It's been a great year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    I got my Aeronaut 30 in Navy/Zest delivered yesterday! I've been wanting an A30 for about 6 months now, and I am so glad I finally own a Tom Bihn bag. I will be using it when I go on a 5-day trip to Montreal next week. As soon as I opened the package I was in awe. The workmanship and materials are superb! I did a trial pack for the trip. I am so amazed. This is my first time to try my hand at one-bag travel. All in all the weight came up to about 10 pounds!

I'm 5'4 and wear Small/XSmall

I have 2 EBags (small) which contain my clothing:
    2 leggings (1 for sleeping)
    6 tops (1 for sleeping)
    1 cotton dress
    1 ultralight down jacket (uniqlo - got this idea from Mr. Brown)
    7 underwear

Backpack for use during the day
    Ziplock bag filled with toiletries
    Toiletry bag filled with feminine items
    Makeup Bag
    Camera and charger (Samsung NX300 with 18-55mm lens)
    A pair of flats
    A pair of slippers (I am staying in a hostel and will need these for the bathroom)
    Travel towel
    Sunglasses (and case)
    Eyeglasses (and case)
    Large Moleskine notebook
    3 pens/1pencil

It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30-img_2358-jpg

GMT +1 Germany, North
    Hi ready.SET.go and welcome! What a great second post! I love how the yellow of your pouches pop against the navy of your Aeronout.

“Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member

Love your username. The weather has been very nice, but it's chilly in the evening.

Have a great time here in Montreal!