Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Cool My Nordic and Black 'special edition' travel trays are here!

My Nordic and Black 'special edition' travel trays are here!-closeup-jpg

I already have a Pilot and a Synapse 19 in Nordic, but this is my first Black dyneema item. It's very handsome...

...and Aggie the cat likes them as well. :)

My Nordic and Black 'special edition' travel trays are here!-aggie-travel-trays-jpg
    A45 CC K CQPC 3DCC QK TT MCB SCB TT CQPC PQBP QK LT SE TSS4 QK S19 TT P 3DCC TS PP BB LCB CP TT Ri QK NFTD A30 DLBC

You have me almost wishing I'd ordered a black one before they sold out - but I deliberately went for a "can't miss it whilst packing up to leave the hotel" wasabi :)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 + DLBC
    Leisure: SCBs, MCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, both with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

@scribe - I already have two Solar ones to fit that particular bill... one of which has saved my bacon on at least two occasions.
    A45 CC K CQPC 3DCC QK TT MCB SCB TT CQPC PQBP QK LT SE TSS4 QK S19 TT P 3DCC TS PP BB LCB CP TT Ri QK NFTD A30 DLBC

Forum Member
    @PaulT00
    How are you going to use the trays? Although it looks like your cat may already have plans to hijack them lol

@scribe
    I didn't bother with reason when I ordered mine lol, I'll admit that I succumbed to "Ooooh! Limited Edition!!!!" "Buy 1st, think later!"

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    @scribe
    I didn't bother with reason when I ordered mine lol, I'll admit that I succumbed to "Ooooh! Limited Edition!!!!" "Buy 1st, think later!"
    I was a bit like that with the black PCSB. I vaguely liked the idea of something bigger than a SE to use as a seat-back bag, and the limited edition black dyneema totally swung me in favour of getting one!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 + DLBC
    Leisure: SCBs, MCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, both with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

@PaulT00
    How are you going to use the trays? Although it looks like your cat may already have plans to hijack them lol
    I haven't decided yet. One of the Solar ones already lives in the end pocket of my Aeronaut on a permanent basis, the other Solar holds spare contact lenses and various gubbins and lives in my bedside table. Aggie may have plans - she usually does! - but they're MINE I TELL YOU! MINE!

@scribe
    Funnily enough... picture the scene: early hours of the morning, insomnia, browsing on my iPhone in bed, new post from Darcy... 5 minutes later I'd ordered two new Travel Trays in limited edition colours, without the faintest clue what I was going to use them for! :)

Forum Member
    Does anybody see a need for a simple travel tray that is more like a bowl without the extra material to close the tray? I find that an open brightly colored very simple tray like that would be useful.

Have you seen "if it fits, I sits"? Everything made by Tom Bihn and the Crew is an opportunity for a cat to try to fit itself into. They also love the boxes that transport the goodies intended for humans, and the tags on the goodies intended for humans. I find that my cat is attracted to Dyneema in particular. Perhaps we should do a formal experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Have you seen "if it fits, I sits"? Everything made by Tom Bihn and the Crew is an opportunity for a cat to try to fit itself into. They also love the boxes that transport the goodies intended for humans, and the tags on the goodies intended for humans. I find that my cat is attracted to Dyneema in particular. Perhaps we should do a formal experiment?
    Loved the video!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    So much to catch up!

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Does anybody see a need for a simple travel tray that is more like a bowl without the extra material to close the tray? I find that an open brightly colored very simple tray like that would be useful.
    We're in the same boat. The items I would put in the tray, I would never cinch the tray closed and go. The items would have to go back into my pants pockets and I would repack the tray before leaving the room to come back home. I too would prefer a bowl at a cheaper price.

Maybe a small travel or yarn sack ?

So much to catch up!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Maybe a small travel or yarn sack ?
    I tried and it could work, but the diameter is fairly narrow and the sides are not that stiff. I really like the width, reinforcement, and height of the TT but I don't need it to close, and I somehow prefer that the Dyneema be uniformly sewn (not alternating from inner to outer surface, you know what I mean, when it is not folded up). Just thinking out loud!

I tried and it could work, but the diameter is fairly narrow and the sides are not that stiff. I really like the width, reinforcement, and height of the TT but I don't need it to close, and I somehow prefer that the Dyneema be uniformly sewn (not alternating from inner to outer surface, you know what I mean, when it is not folded up). Just thinking out loud!
    I got it! The yarn sacks look wider and I have seen threads showing then as trays... I have ordered some to try... when I get mine I will try to make a taminca style photo session!

Last edited by eWalker; 05-14-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    So much to catch up!

I like the yarn sack. The clip on the outside is really handy. I can put all the stuff I'm carrying in it, cinch it down and clip it to my WF or TS. It then goes through airport security with no worries.

I also use it as a travel tray, it's a great catch all. I found the travel tray to be a little too structured for what I needed.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Forum Member
    The UPS guy brought Black Dyneema Goodness today!

My Nordic and Black 'special edition' travel trays are here!-black-tt-jpg