Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Packing List for Summer Hikes

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Or should Badger request for an eyelet/grommet like those found in the Pilot/Co-Pilots to be added to her DLBP?
    Ewwwwwww!
    (and - double Ewwwwwwwww! - that would only cater for one type of biological output.)
    Janine likes this.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Ewwwwwww!
    (and - double Ewwwwwwwww! - that would only cater for one type of biological output.)
    Er.... maybe a larger one so it can cater to both types?
    I just realized that eyelets will be required at the top as well, unless Badger plans to walk around with the DLBP open.
    Janine likes this.

As if becoming addicted to TB gear isn't enough, now y'all are making me addicted to hammocks and backpacking gear too! My wallet is crying out in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Is Mirazyme effective at deodorizing bags after one carries live animals? I'm pretty sure that with a DLBP full of marmots or piki or chinchilla, at least one of the little guys is going to feel the call of nature before the trip is complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Or should Badger request for an eyelet/grommet like those found in the Pilot/Co-Pilots to be added to her DLBP?
    Au contraire. No mirazyme or grommets needed if you wring the little guys out thoroughly before packing them. You're welcome.
    icebeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Au contraire. No mirazyme or grommets needed if you wring the little guys out thoroughly before packing them. You're welcome.
    That's one way to solve the problem. Diapers would be another.

Hey @Darcy, when can we expect Dyneema marmot diapers to be added to the product list? If I might make a small suggestion, you could follow the Flip diaper model and offer shells that marmot-carriers could fill with either disposable or washable liners.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

i think dyneema and parapak for ease of cleaning would be best for the marmots...maybe onesies?
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    That's one way to solve the problem. Diapers would be another.

Hey @Darcy, when can we expect Dyneema marmot diapers to be added to the product list? If I might make a small suggestion, you could follow the Flip diaper model and offer shells that marmot-carriers could fill with either disposable or washable liners.
    Of course if you have marmot diapers, you would need another TB bag (perhaps the fabled and long-awaited TB Diaper Bag) in which to store them when on a hike where marmot transportation in your backpack might be expected.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Of course if you have marmot diapers, you would need another TB bag (perhaps the fabled and long-awaited TB Diaper Bag) in which to store them when on a hike where marmot transportation in your backpack might be expected.
    And the diapers would have to be Hot Pink Dyneema, and the bag would have to match (or at least coordinate). This, my friends, is why the forum is not in charge of TB R&D. . . .

it's like cloud cookoo land in here...!

Quote Originally Posted by DubbySmurf View Post
    As if becoming addicted to TB gear isn't enough, now y'all are making me addicted to hammocks and backpacking gear too! My wallet is crying out in distress
    LoL@hammock addiction. Eviiiiiiil Enablers we are! Try backpackinglight.com gear forum for enabling in that realm, including wool layers we've been discussing in other threads here.

I've been sleeping in a hammock for 13 months now and have a couple awesome Brazilian hammocks. Of course, there are color choice dilemmas with these too, FYI. Check out ENO doublenest colors... just to get your anxiety ramped up.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @ClaireJ, based on your question about whether the Platypus hydration bladders will fit in the Daylight, I tried out both my Platypus 3L SL and my Platypus 2L LP, and they both fit in the Daylight without any problems. The 2L LP was my preferred model, since it easily fit in the lower pouch, felt stable and comfortable against my back, and allowed the option of putting something in the upper pouch since it did not encroach on that space too much. Note: I did attach a short key strap to both the O ring at the top of the pack and the small plastic bar at the top of the Platypus, as I suspect that otherwise the Platypus would tend to slouch and shift around as water was consumed. My 3L model is a slightly more narrow and thicker older version of the bladders, and while it did fit in the Daylight, its slightly more rounded shape felt less comfortable and had a tendency to shift more than the newer baffled LP version. I suspect that the 3L LP version would work well, but since it reaches nearly to the top of the Daylight pack, there is some lost space. Especially since one could easily throw in a small water filter like a Sawyer Mini in if one is going to be near a water source, I would be more tempted to use the 2L, depending on the hike. I hope that helps!
    Wow, thanks, super helpful! Now I'm wavering between the 2L and 3L... my current bladder is 3L, and I've loved having that much water, although I did recently purchase a 1L Platypus collapsible bottle and some purification tablets for camping and day hiking emergencies (the 30 minute wait time (4 hours if crypto is an issue) makes me hesitant about regular day hiking use), so that makes having less space in the bladder more feasible. It does look like the new LP 3L is a little shorter than the old Big Zip 3L though. Have you used the Sawyer Mini (or something like it) directly attached to one of your Platy bladders?

Also, all this talk of hammocks is definitely getting me intrigued... I have slept in hammocks before though and found it a not so comfortable experience, but that was more due to crowding, I think (hammocks set up too close together for everyone to get in a comfortable diagonal position, not to mention the hassle of getting up to pee in the middle of the night, trying not to wake up people in the hammocks next to you!). That Grand Trunk Ultralight (not the Nano, but the regular ultralight) would be a pretty affordable way to check it out again though!

How many marmots could sleep in a Doublenest, you reckon?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thanks--this was very helpful, and +1 on the suggestion of pika for a lightweight marmot alternative. I now feel ready to tackle whatever backwoods marmot-hauling situation I might encounter.
    @Badger, one advantage that the marmot has over the pika from a multipurpose perspective is that if you forget your whistle, they can sound the alarm with the whistling calls they emit, not to be confused with the pika's super cute "eep" noise, lol.

@ClaireJ, I have used the Sawyer Mini as a lightweight filtering alternative. It works great as long as you do not use it on trips where it will be below freezing, as the ceramic can be damaged in temperatures that low. I generally screw the filter onto another "dirty water" bag, then I squeeze the water through the filter into my clean water bag. While the Sawyer Minis come with bags, those are not as sturdy as some of the other ones one can buy like Evernew, etc. Something like @Darcy's Katadyn ceramic filter is a fantastic and extremely reliable option, and I use one of those if I am filtering for multiple people, but if I am going really lightweight, I appreciate just carrying a couple of ounces with the Sawyer.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-30-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0