Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Packing List for Summer Hikes

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Awesome post and pictures, Darcy! I too am interested in which of those items is your hammock, and what brand of hammock it is. I've been looking for a tiny ultralight hammock that would easily fit in my s19. Also, do you use a whoopie sling to hang your hammock, or some other method?

EDIT: Wait... is it the Grand Trunk Ultralight Nano? Amazon.com : Grand Trunk Nano-7 Hammock : Sports & Outdoors
    You might find help re lightweight hammocks @ www.hammockforums.net

Eno singlenest might be an option but weight is listed at 16oz, more than the hammock you linked to. I have a doublenest and it would fit into a small backpack easily. It wouldn't even fill my co-pilot.

Whoopies are safest for trees.

Fun to find other hammockers here! I'm a full-time hanger!
    Amy likes this.

@Claire, I have both the Platypus 2L and 3L Big zips, and I would be happy to check if either or both fit in the Daylight later today.

@Darcy, I have been hiking a fair amount in the Seattle and surrounding areas the past few years, and I may have some really good Mt Rainier recommendations after I hike the Wonderland Trail in August. In the meantime, a few nice Rainier area day hikes that I have done and can recommend are Spray Park, Summerland, Tolmie Peak, and Shriner Peak. As for Teanaway, there are some great scenic hikes in that area!

@NWhikergal, Perfect, thanks! Would be much appreciated! Also, I started a thread in "Not About Bags" for discussing hiking in the Seattle area, for whoever's interested Recommended Hikes in Seattle Area

@ClaireJ, based on your question about whether the Platypus hydration bladders will fit in the Daylight, I tried out both my Platypus 3L SL and my Platypus 2L LP, and they both fit in the Daylight without any problems. The 2L LP was my preferred model, since it easily fit in the lower pouch, felt stable and comfortable against my back, and allowed the option of putting something in the upper pouch since it did not encroach on that space too much. Note: I did attach a short key strap to both the O ring at the top of the pack and the small plastic bar at the top of the Platypus, as I suspect that otherwise the Platypus would tend to slouch and shift around as water was consumed. My 3L model is a slightly more narrow and thicker older version of the bladders, and while it did fit in the Daylight, its slightly more rounded shape felt less comfortable and had a tendency to shift more than the newer baffled LP version. I suspect that the 3L LP version would work well, but since it reaches nearly to the top of the Daylight pack, there is some lost space. Especially since one could easily throw in a small water filter like a Sawyer Mini in if one is going to be near a water source, I would be more tempted to use the 2L, depending on the hike. I hope that helps!

Name:  Platy1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  135.0 KBName:  Platy2.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  132.5 KBName:  Platy3.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  129.4 KBName:  Platy4.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  95.5 KB
    enjih and ClaireJ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Awesome post and pictures, Darcy! I too am interested in which of those items is your hammock, and what brand of hammock it is. I've been looking for a tiny ultralight hammock that would easily fit in my s19. Also, do you use a whoopie sling to hang your hammock, or some other method?

EDIT: Wait... is it the Grand Trunk Ultralight Nano? Amazon.com : Grand Trunk Nano-7 Hammock : Sports & Outdoors
    Here's another hammock: Exped Travel Hammock

***enter coupon code "GAMBLER" at checkout to save 25% on this item!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Here's another hammock: Exped Travel Hammock

***enter coupon code "GAMBLER" at checkout to save 25% on this item!
    Does anyone out there collect hammocks, and could personally compare both?
    The "grand trunk Vano" above is a few onces lighter than the "exped travel hammock"
    Any other pros, cons?
    Now I really want to add one to my hiking collection.

Daylight Backpack Packing List for Summer Hikes

I'm learning so much about hiking from this thread-love it. I haven't hiked much in ages and now I definitely want to get back into it. Good packing tips for snowshoeing too! Now this confirms that I actually NEED the DLBP! Is it bad to place my third order before even receiving my first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pokilani; 07-30-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Janine likes this.

Keep in mind that after u actually start using your Bihn Bags that there will be a forth order about the day after.
    So you may want to use a little restraint.
    ;-)

Good point, Trailhiker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Does anyone out there collect hammocks, and could personally compare both?
    The "grand trunk Vano" above is a few onces lighter than the "exped travel hammock"
    Any other pros, cons?
    Now I really want to add one to my hiking collection.
    I collect the indoor variety but probably the fastest way to get good info is to search hammockforums.net and then post a question if needed. The people there are hammock fanatics, extremely helpful and creative, and experiment with a lot of hammock gear with a focus on going lightweight.
    You will very likely get the suggestion to DIY a hammock by ordering fabric from Tablecloths, Chair Covers, Table Cloths, Linens, Runners, Tablecloth (20% off site-wide right now), gathering the ends and adding suspension. Easy peasy and customized to fit your body. Guidance provided in stickies and posts if you get stuck.
    Janine likes this.

D,
    Thanx for the tip,
    It's nice to know that there are creative hammock fanatics out there.

Opps, I guess that makes us bag fanatics.
    Guilty!
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 07-30-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    For balanced packing and load control, I would recommend carrying two marmots in the lower shingled back compartment pocket and for the upper, potentially five or six pika. If any additional marmot or pika need to be carried, your best bet would be moving up to the Synapse 19. However, care must be taken in selecting the marmots and pika for this application: sleepy ones are preferred, as wiggly marmot and pika can be a distraction.
    Thanks--this was very helpful, and +1 on the suggestion of pika for a lightweight marmot alternative. I now feel ready to tackle whatever backwoods marmot-hauling situation I might encounter.

This next question is slightly off-topic and pure vanity, but I was wondering: will the greenish undertones of Steel Parapack clash with the blueish undertones of my chinchillas (my collection of which is burgeoning rapidly)? If anyone can confirm with pics, I would be grateful!

Badger - have you been at the medication again, by any chance?
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thanks--this was very helpful, and +1 on the suggestion of pika for a lightweight marmot alternative. I now feel ready to tackle whatever backwoods marmot-hauling situation I might encounter.

This next question is slightly off-topic and pure vanity, but I was wondering: will the greenish undertones of Steel Parapack clash with the blueish undertones of my chinchillas (my collection of which is burgeoning rapidly)? If anyone can confirm with pics, I would be grateful!
    Is Mirazyme effective at deodorizing bags after one carries live animals? I'm pretty sure that with a DLBP full of marmots or piki or chinchilla, at least one of the little guys is going to feel the call of nature before the trip is complete.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Or should Badger request for an eyelet/grommet like those found in the Pilot/Co-Pilots to be added to her DLBP?
    Janine likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0