• 1 Post By GoStanford
  • 1 Post By jmoz
  • 3 Post By atarango1
  • 1 Post By ykang2375
  • 3 Post By atarango1
  • 2 Post By backpack

Thread: Five days with Tristar

Five days with Tristar

So I'm taking my Tristar on it's inaugural run tomorrow. It's my first time doing wheel-less travel with a carryon and a personal item. I'm going to the mountains of North Carolina to visit an artist friend and to get out of the Texas heat for this week. She says it has been cool and rainy, which is mind boggling to me since it is furnace-like over here.

I packed
    1 light north face rain jacket
    1 pair of shorts
    2 capris
    4 t shirts
    1 light merino cardigan
    1 linen tunic (a gift for my friend)

I will be wearing a pair of light convertible hiking pants on the plane, a shirt, fleece hoodie and hiking shoes.

All that went in the large packing cube and in the back section of the bag. I used the straps to tie down the rain jacket.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  728.8 KB

In the middle is going a 1/2 eagle creek packing cube with my pajamas, 3 pairs of socks, underwear, 2 bras.

My hat. My travel tray with various chargers and stuff. My cosmetics bag, my 311 bag, my travel dryer and hair iron, also in an eagle creek cube, and my little random bag with hairties, vitamins, band aids, tums, etc.

Views: 887
Size:  528.1 KB

And in the front goes a pair of chaco sandals in an eagle creek shoe bag a bag of snacks and Sharky. He smashes in there, although he does create a bulge. And I folded my platypus bottle into a corner, for filling up once I get through security.

Views: 884
Size:  655.2 KB

(More next post...)

(Continued...)

It is all actually surprisingly light and the bag is nowhere near full. I think the fact that I have to carry this on my back made me more careful about what I put in it.

I don't have my Nightflight yet (boy did I wish I did) so inside my tote bag that will be my personal item is my double zipper pouch wuth my needlepoint mini projects, my side effect with my purse stuff, and yarn stuff sacks containing my latest two projects and a folder with patterns. I'm charging my kindle and iPad and those will either go in the tote or in the Tristar-- there is plenty of room.

Views: 872
Size:  602.8 KB

The tote is really bright, I'll admit it, I like really loud, cheery bags included the much maligned Vera Bradleys, but when I travel, I find that those bags get easily abused, so I got this Hadaki because it wipes clean easily. And it's easy to identify with the cracked out daisy design.

Views: 874
Size:  663.0 KB

It all feels conspicuously minimal traveling so light (I'm a bring something for every possible emergency kinda person) so we shall see how I take to it!

Nice packing job atarango1, smart to pack so light especially for a short trip. I've had my Tri-star for almost a year and used it on two trips to Thailand and over packed both times, around 14 or 15 pounds which was brutal even with the Absolute strap and backpack straps. I'm only 5' 6" and 140 pounds, I'm in good shape however after a 20+ hours of flying plus large international airport terminals, it was miserable. I think I've learned my lesson, I have a packing list and a digital scale. I've pre-packed my list and it weighed 10.5 pounds, I'm going to try to shave off .5 pounds. Nice pics and have fun on your trip!!

That's impressive. When traveling for work, I usually have a laptop, etc, meaning it's hard to get below 20lbs for a week, but on my recent trip, I decided the backpack straps are much more comfortable than the Absolute strap for any actual distance....

Just think, once you give your friend the linen tunic you will have room for shopping! Enjoy your travels.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    That's impressive. When traveling for work, I usually have a laptop, etc, meaning it's hard to get below 20lbs for a week, but on my recent trip, I decided the backpack straps are much more comfortable than the Absolute strap for any actual distance....
    Thanks jmoz, I appreciate it. Yeah, it's pretty hot in Thailand in December so most of my clothing will be shorts and t-shirt (synthetic fibers) which helps a lot with weight. I 100% agree with you, backpack straps all the way, I leaving my absolute strap at home to save more weight. I really would like to keep it more or less around 10 pounds, I want to be able to have my Tri-star and be able to walk through large international airport terminals without the assistance of those airport shopping carts.

With the backpack straps, I find the TS (at 10 kg or less) comfortable for up to 3-4 km of walking at a time....

Yeah I am thinking of not even bothering with the absolute strap and just carrying it with the backpack straps the entire way. I find it too big for the absolute strap (I'm a smallish person) anyway. With the backpack straps it is comfortable. It hurts my shoulder even with the absolute strap.

I'm also trying to pack light because my friend and I are the same size-- she said if I needed jeans or a sweatshirt that I could just borrow from her. And we will be spending the days just chilling. She's a potter, so she has to work (throw and fire pots for a show) when I am there, so I'll be doing a lot of sitting on her back porch, reading, knitting, and drinking wine while she works-- which is just what I need right now. I just finished up some super intense research with a student the summer and some writing and departmental assessment so I just wanna go somewhere and do nothing. That is the plan at least.

Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    Yeah I am thinking of not even bothering with the absolute strap and just carrying it with the backpack straps the entire way. I find it too big for the absolute strap (I'm a smallish person) anyway. With the backpack straps it is comfortable. It hurts my shoulder even with the absolute strap.

I'm also trying to pack light because my friend and I are the same size-- she said if I needed jeans or a sweatshirt that I could just borrow from her. And we will be spending the days just chilling. She's a potter, so she has to work (throw and fire pots for a show) when I am there, so I'll be doing a lot of sitting on her back porch, reading, knitting, and drinking wine while she works-- which is just what I need right now. I just finished up some super intense research with a student the summer and some writing and departmental assessment so I just wanna go somewhere and do nothing. That is the plan at least.
    Good idea, I love the Absolute Strap but it weighs a lot and I found that I kept putting it on and taking it off of my Tri-star several tines during my walks through airport terminals. Better to pack light and use the backpack straps. You may want to zip them up when you put your bag through the X-ray machine, you don't want the backpack straps getting caught in the rollers. Also, jeans weigh a lot too, mine wear 1.6 pounds just by themselves. You're dead on about borrowing your friend's or even wear a pair instead of adding it to your bag. Have fun!!
    ncb4 likes this.

Great job packing! I bet you will love traveling so light. And your trip sounds wonderfully relaxing. Enjoy!
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

So...

I am so glad I didn't bother with the absolute strap. I only ended up using the backpack straps. Plus I hit randomly chosen for TSA precheck so I sailed through security.

Things that were awesome: that I could move so easily. When I got out to curbside pickup at Charlotte I saw my friend's car up ahead and the police officer was yelling at her to move. I sprinted towards her, flagged her down, tossed the Tri Star in the backseat and plopped in the front while she got us out of there. I couldn't have done that with a roller bag. I didn't find the bag heavy to carry at all during the trip. Even when I came back with a few small pieces of pottery stuffed in there with the clothes (yup I did that. Nothing broke either!)

Things I had wish I had done: I wish I had packed one more long-sleeved something (maybe one of those fabled ice breakers that people keep talking about.) and swapped out the shorts for another pair of pants, or even leggings. And I shoulda packed some kind of slipper sock. It was cold there, really chilly In the house at night and I was sleeping in the basement with concrete floors. (That's where the futon was). In the end I was fine because my friend lent me a hoodie and an extra pair of of pants, but I underestimated how chilly I would be. But that was my packing mistake. The Tristar performed awesomly.

Next week I take it for a long weekend to visit my parents in California, where it is supposed to be almost as hot as Texas. And I have the Night Flight too, so I am gonna use that as my carry on bag. I liked the hadaki I used in this last trip but it's hard to carry with the backpack straps-- they get in the way and with the rolled handles I can't keep the bag on my shoulder. I'm hoping the Night Flight performs better.

Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    So...

I am so glad I didn't bother with the absolute strap. I only ended up using the backpack straps. Plus I hit randomly chosen for TSA precheck so I sailed through security.

Things that were awesome: that I could move so easily. When I got out to curbside pickup at Charlotte I saw my friend's car up ahead and the police officer was yelling at her to move. I sprinted towards her, flagged her down, tossed the Tri Star in the backseat and plopped in the front while she got us out of there. I couldn't have done that with a roller bag. I didn't find the bag heavy to carry at all during the trip. Even when I came back with a few small pieces of pottery stuffed in there with the clothes (yup I did that. Nothing broke either!)

Things I had wish I had done: I wish I had packed one more long-sleeved something (maybe one of those fabled ice breakers that people keep talking about.) and swapped out the shorts for another pair of pants, or even leggings. And I shoulda packed some kind of slipper sock. It was cold there, really chilly In the house at night and I was sleeping in the basement with concrete floors. (That's where the futon was). In the end I was fine because my friend lent me a hoodie and an extra pair of of pants, but I underestimated how chilly I would be. But that was my packing mistake. The Tristar performed awesomly.

Next week I take it for a long weekend to visit my parents in California, where it is supposed to be almost as hot as Texas. And I have the Night Flight too, so I am gonna use that as my carry on bag. I liked the hadaki I used in this last trip but it's hard to carry with the backpack straps-- they get in the way and with the rolled handles I can't keep the bag on my shoulder. I'm hoping the Night Flight performs better.
    Could you show us the setup with the Night Flight?

It would be awesome to be able to compare with the former setup. If you have time and feel inclined, of course.
    WenV and Kippiann like this.

I will try to post packing list details with the Night Flight next week (I leave on wed)

I'm curious to see what a difference it makes because I have to reconfigure some things. For instance, my iPad has to go into my Tristar now because the Night Flight is too short. I'm also still kinda meh on all the padding in the night flight.

But yeah, I'll post.

@atarango1 any pics?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0