Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Packing for a week-long trip using just the Co-Pilot

Smile Packing for a week-long trip using just the Co-Pilot

I'll be going to Boston and NYC for work/leisure for 7 days and 6 nights and "plan" to fit everything into my black dyneema co-pilot. Here's my attempt so far. I managed to fit 97% of items on my packing list, with still room to spare in the main compartment and side pockets.

Some background information:
    I'm petite (5' 1")
    Weather will be warm/hot where I'm going
    I'm bringing versatile clothing
    I can do with just an iPad mini for work email

Main compartment:
    In an Eagle Creek Specter Cube:
    1 bra
    2 underwear
    versalette (ladies, this is a convertible garment that can be used as a scarf, top, dress, skirt, and even a shoulder bag!)
    Icebreaker crush stripe dress
    white cardigan
    stripe tank

Attached to O-ring:
    Pocket pouch holding business cards
    Dyneema organizer holding my Fluxmob Bolt; Microusb cable charger; lightning to microusb adapter

Interior pocket 1:
    iPad mini

Interior pocket 2:
    Medication
    Sample-sized packets of dry toiletry items

In a Ziploc:
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Hair detangling spray
    Face mist
    Travel bottle filled with Dr. Bronner's soap
    Comb (need to add later)
    Deodorant (need to add later; will find a mini stick)

In front middle pocket:
    Nightshirt
    Belt

Front left pocket:
    Phone
    Clear organizer pouch with medication, band aids, floss
    Kleenex
    Wet wipes
    Eye drops
    Sunscreen

Front right pocket:
    Clear Organizer wallet with transit pass, ID, cash, credit card, ATM card, health insurance card
    Pen
    Lip Balm
    Concealer
    Whistle
    House keys

What's left to pack (optional):
    Sunglasses
    Contact lenses instead of, or in addition to, the eyeglasses I will be wearing on the plane
    Reusable bag (for shopping trips)
    Mini bottle of foundation (for vanity)

What I'll be wearing on the plane:
    Jeans
    Icebreaker s/s top
    Zip hoodie
    Ballet flats

Name:  20140714_205611.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  777.3 KBName:  20140714_205646.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  600.4 KBName:  20140714_205723.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  594.3 KBName:  20140714_205804.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  648.2 KBName:  20140714_205844.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  465.7 KB

Wow! I'd have been impressed with a Pilot, never mind it's little sibling!

Me, too! I have a Dyneema CP on the way. Can't wait to experiment!
    eWalker likes this.
    TB Gear: Synapse 25: Black Dyneema/Wasabi, Side Effect: Black/UV, 3D Clear Organizer Cube: Conifer, Double Organizer Pouches (S+M): Black

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    Wow! I'd have been impressed with a Pilot, never mind it's little sibling!
    Same here! Especially as I tend to pack more changes of clothes (mainly tops) for hot climates than for cool ones, so the bulk isn't that different even though the individual garments are thinner.

(Of course it doesn't help that I don't travel anywhere without notebooks, pens, knitting project, etc, etc *lol* )
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I love this! Great job! Are you bringing another bag or will the CP be your EDC as well? Or using the versalette?

And thanks for sharing the versalette--I had never heard of it before! It's brilliant. I wanted to order one, but they are on pre-order until Sept...so I made one! It's probably not nearly as nice as the original but I love it. Can't wait to start trying it out tomorrow. I figure if I love the one I made, I'll go ahead and order one.

Hope you have a great trip!
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I think the Dyneema allows for more flexibility in packing, but this is amazing. I'm very impressed!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    I have an obsession with solar, just in case no one has picked up on that yet. If it's in solar, I want it. XD

Oh my goodness, that's the dream! THAT'S the dream!!
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

It is all been said, but anyway: how amazing. A bit like Harry Houdini.

It is totally do-able - I recently did 3 days and 4 nights in Portland with just my co-pilot and MCB - I needed the extra space because it was still pretty chilly there and I needed more layers, a rain-shell, a knitting project, etc. But I could totally see doing a longer trip to a warmer locale with just the one bag. And I did some unexpected shopping while I was there and fit it ALL (a pair of pants, a shirt, a shot glass and 4 skeins of yarn) into the bags I brought. These bags are definitely bigger on the inside.

The only thing I would say is that it looks like you have your liquids and gels scattered in several places, so you may need to do some re-arranging to get through security.

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    I love this! Great job! Are you bringing another bag or will the CP be your EDC as well? Or using the versalette?
    This will be my EDC as well. I plan to unload all my clothes and toiletries when I arrive at my lodging.

I really love the versalette. It's the most versatile piece of clothing I have. I'm thinking of maybe wearing my versalette on the flight with some leggings, rather than jeans, so that frees up space in my bag. I can maybe substitute that space with a GoLite cayambe reversible dress and the shirt I would've been wearing on the plane (love Icebreaker!), or perhaps just the shirt alone.

I could yield the following outfits still:

Day 1 (Plane):
    Versalette as a tunic
    Black leggings
    Black cardigan (Icebreaker bliss wrap)

Day 2:
    Icebreaker dress

Day 3:
    Navy stripe tank
    Versalette mid-length skirt (ruched skirt)
    Belted outfit

Day 4:
    Versalette as dress, belted

Day 5: Icebreaker dress

Day 6:
    Navy s/s
    Versalette as long skirt

Day 7 (Plane):
    Navy stripe tank
    Black leggings
    Black cardigan

The difference with this set and my previous post:
    -substituted the jeans with leggings
    -eliminated the white cardigan from my packing cube
    -eliminated the versalette from my packing cube but added the navy s/s (still a space saver because the versalette is bulkier than the navy s/s
    Last edited by amazngin; 07-16-2014 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks for the advice!

My sunscreen is in a mini bottle that's slightly smaller than my eye drop bottle. I've always kept my lip gloss, eye drops, and mini bottle of sunscreen separated from my 1 qt clear bag of toiletries. Have never been reprimanded by TSA. I don't think they even caught those items.

After reading the packing list and considering the bag size i would say you lived up to the the "amazing" part of your handle!
    Your list is inspirational, even for a guy, and it also delivers a "pay attention" light wack on my head!

I am seeing more and more packing lists including icebreaker!
    Would you care to comment further on your past experience with icebreaker and whether it will be necessary to wash the icebreker items on this trip -if that's an approriate question? I ask of course because of the claims about their merino wool products!
    Or let me ask it another way- would a guy wearing an icebreaker tech T for example, for 3 or 4 days on the same trip you are taking, need to plan to wash it during the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Packbetter View Post

Would you care to comment further on your past experience with icebreaker and whether it will be necessary to wash the icebreker items on this trip -if that's an approriate question? I ask of course because of the claims about their merino wool products!
    Or let me ask it another way- would a guy wearing an icebreaker tech T for example, for 3 or 4 days on the same trip you are taking, need to plan to wash it during the trip?
    I would say no, even if you wear the shirt for consecutive days and have mild sweat. Check this out:
    What Happens to an Icebreaker Wool T-Shirt When You Wear It for Two Weeks Straight? | Outdoor Gear Blog | OutsideOnline.com

I generally wear my icebreaker tops at least 5 times (during the day for 10+ hours or as sleepwear) before washing them. That can span 2-3 weeks -- maybe even longer, and the clothes still do not stink.
    Last edited by amazngin; 07-16-2014 at 04:45 AM.
    enjih likes this.

Question for the seasoned traveller, how do you carry-on your cologne or perfume? I see that those travel atomisers are a good way but how good are they? I'm worried about it leaking and wasting the expensive liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast