Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Packing for a week-long trip using just the Co-Pilot

Thanks amazngin! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Here's how everything fits into the packing cubes. I added an extra item -- an Icebreaker allure skirt, which means more outfit options for me.

Green Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Half Cube -- non expanded
    White Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Quarter Cube

Name:  PhotoGrid_1405697786703.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  295.6 KB
    Last edited by amazngin; 07-18-2014 at 09:50 AM.

This is what it looks like pre-toiletry items if I put both cubes in the main compartment and leave the bottle compartment empty.

Name:  both in main.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  627.9 KB Name:  both in main 2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  675.5 KB

And what it looks like if I put the half cube in the main compartment and the quarter cube in the bottle compartment…

Name:  Main and bottle area.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  706.0 KB Name:  main and bottle area 2.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  867.5 KB

I can even include my Surface 2 if I wanted to bring that along…

Name:  main and bottle area_with surface 2.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  580.6 KB
    Last edited by amazngin; 07-18-2014 at 10:16 AM.

This is the most amazing packing I've ever seen! Will you need to wash the versalette?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    This is the most amazing packing I've ever seen! Will you need to wash the versalette?
    I second this question.

I have been eyeing them for a while now, and am really glad that they are finally taking pre-orders again. However, now that I have come to know the joys of merino wool, I am very much a snob about clothing--and I am worried that after being spoiled by merino garments, the versalette will be a total disappointment in that it a.) won't feel as nice to wear and b.) isn't as conducive to washing on the road.

Anyone chime in with any experience on this front...

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    I second this question.

I have been eyeing them for a while now, and am really glad that they are finally taking pre-orders again. However, now that I have come to know the joys of merino wool, I am very much a snob about clothing--and I am worried that after being spoiled by merino garments, the versalette will be a total disappointment in that it a.) won't feel as nice to wear and b.) isn't as conducive to washing on the road.

Anyone chime in with any experience on this front...
    I wasn't planning to wash the versalette but can (via washing machine) if I need/want to. I've put my versalette in the washing machine and have tumble dried it on low before and that didn't harm it. I also didn't completely dry it in the dryer, but did a combo of tumble dry low and air dry. For those concerned about hand washing and just air drying the piece, I haven't done either, so I can't comment from experience. It may take 1-2 days to air dry the versalette if most of the water is wrung or absorbed via a microfiber towel first and then air dried in sunny/warm/dry weather.

I am also very particular about the fabric of my clothing and lean towards high quality, comfortable, and durable fabrics that are preferably easy to maintain and quick-drying (though that's hard with cotton). I love the feel of the versalette on, especially in dress and skirt form. If it can be made in merino wool, that would be fantastic, as it would be lighter in weight than the current jersey version. That would be a dream indeed...

Final Packing List:

Main compartment:
    In a Green Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Half Cube --non expanded:
    • Icebreaker crush stripe dress
    • Purple leggings
    • Icebreaker Cool-Lite sphere l/s
    • Icebreaker tech tee in vivid

Attached to O-ring:
    • House keys
    • COW with ID, cash, credit cards, ATM card, health insurance card, and home transit pass (if needed); whistle
    • Small OP with Fluxmob Bolt; micro usb cable charger; lightning to micro usb adapter; spare mini micro usb cable

Left interior pocket:
    • iPad mini

Right interior pocket:
    • Small DOP: sample-sized packets of dry toiletry items; feminine products
    • Contact lenses (8 singles)
    • Comb

In a 1 qt. clear Ziploc:
    • Toothpaste
    • Travel bottle filled with Dr. Bronner's soap
    • Hair detangling spray
    • Face mist
    • Sunscreen
    • Mini perfume
    • Sample sizes/packets of cosmetic gels and liquids
    • Eyelash plumping serum
    • Mascara

General:
    • Reusable bag

Front middle/bottle pocket:
    In a White Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Quarter Cube:
    • 1 extra bra
    • 3 extra underwear
    • Icebreaker tech tank in admiral
    • Icebreaker allure skirt in admiral

Front left pocket:
    • Phone
    • Small clear OP with medication, bandages, eye drops, toothbrush, floss
    • Kleenex (extra)
    • Wet wipes (extra)
    • Eye drops
    • Deodorant (solid)
    • Recreo powder
    • Blotting paper

Front right pocket:
    • Mini OP to hold transit passes for cities I’ll be visiting
    • PP holding business cards
    • Eyelash curler
    • Concealer
    • Pen
    • Lip Balm (2)

What I'll be wearing on the plane:
    Charcoal Versalette
    Black leggings
    Icebreaker bliss wrap
    Ballet flats (Starstruck Tieks)

Name:  Co-pilot final packing list 7.18.14.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  353.3 KB

Weight: 7.28 lbs
    Strap: Op/Tech USA Mini S.O.S.
    Last edited by amazngin; 07-19-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Truly impressive...

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by amazngin View Post
    I wasn't planning to wash the versalette but can (via washing machine) if I need/want to. I've put my versalette in the washing machine and have tumble dried it on low before and that didn't harm it. I also didn't completely dry it in the dryer, but did a combo of tumble dry low and air dry. For those concerned about hand washing and just air drying the piece, I haven't done either, so I can't comment from experience. It may take 1-2 days to air dry the versalette if most of the water is wrung or absorbed via a microfiber towel first and then air dried in sunny/warm/dry weather.

I am also very particular about the fabric of my clothing and lean towards high quality, comfortable, and durable fabrics that are preferably easy to maintain and quick-drying (though that's hard with cotton). I love the feel of the versalette on, especially in dress and skirt form. If it can be made in merino wool, that would be fantastic, as it would be lighter in weight than the current jersey version. That would be a dream indeed...
    Thanks for the response, amazngin! I think that I might be encouraged to try it out, based on the fact that it feels good on--but I am worried about the potential dry-time for hand washing. I suppose given that this is an empirical question, I have no choice by to try it out this fall when they come back in stock

Well done @amazngin!

@mjpinter, if you are to test empirically, does it mean buying multiple versalettes and testing them? Or taking multiple trips with one versalette and washing/drying each time? If the former, I'd be happy to be one of your study participants. Just send me a versalette.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post

@mjpinter, if you are to test empirically, does it mean buying multiple versalettes and testing them? Or taking multiple trips with one versalette and washing/drying each time? If the former, I'd be happy to be one of your study participants. Just send me a versalette.
    I wish we could dig up some grant money for a study like this--certainly much more interesting than research as of late.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3