Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree22Likes
  • 7 Post By scribe
  • 7 Post By scribe
  • 2 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 4 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By scribe

Thread: 6 days in the US

6 days in the US

I've been meaning to post this for a while - I took the photos before I left, but was too busy and distracted to write up the full list...

Anyway, I went to a four-day convention in Bloomington, Minnesota, with a day either side for travel/relaxation. I was determined to go carry-on only on the way there, though I ended up checking my Western Flyer on the return trip as in addition to souvenirs, I was carrying several new TB bags

Main bag holds (left to right, top to bottom):

Name:  western_flyer.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  302.7 KB

* 1 t-shirt (I planned to buy more at the convention)
    * belt
    * 2 pairs cotton trousers
    * 2 long-sleeved shirts (one cotton, one linen)
    * 3 camisoles (1 icebreaker)
    * 2 pairs icebreaker socks
    * Nightdress

(All of this plus the scarves, below, and belt went into the large WF packing cube)

* Sneakers (Vivo Barefoot) with size 3 TSS
    * 2 scarves (one silk, one beaded)
    * WF with size 4 TSS for dirty laundry

* Plastic A6 wallet with emergency contact numbers and photocopy of passport
    * Travel washing line
    * Ziplock bag full of snack bars
    * Travel first aid/medical kit
    * Makeup bag
    * Makeup palette (a pre-TB purchase that will be downsized at the end of the year)
    * Travel jewellery pouch

* Parcels to mail in US (pocket pouch to swap with moosezilla, and the battered Imago I bought on eBay)
    * Travel tray and spare Kleenex
    * Bin liner
    * Wet Ones
    * Shower "kit": folding cotton slippers, microfibre hair turban and Salux shower cloth
    * Dry toiletries in 3D organiser cube

This does not of course include the clothes I travelled in (bamboo hoodie and yoga pants, plus icebreaker t-shirt, flight socks and Vivo Barefoot mary-janes), nor the underwear that I hadn't got around to packing yet... However it turned out to be a good amount for the length of time - I ended up airing the shirts and wearing them a second time, but could just as easily have washed them if they'd needed it.

Next up - hand luggage!
    Last edited by scribe; 07-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

And the dyneema Pilot kindly lent to me by @ceepee:

Name:  Pilot.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  341.7 KB

* Pilot with bin liner to protect it from under-seat nastiness!
    * PCSB stuffed with snacks, iPad cache, iPhone, clear organiser wallet and other things for the flight

* Size 2 TSS containing my 3-1-1 ziplock bag
    * Passport and extra US cash
    * Minimal makeup bag for freshening up [1]
    * Tea'n'coffee valet (small double OP)
    * Rainproof jacket in Travelon mesh cube

* Sunglasses
    * Vintage coin purse on key strap (US cash), plus plain leather purse for UK cash
    * Knitting magazine, small YSS containing knitting project, and boogie board
    * Size 1 TSS (UV) with iPhone/iPad charger

* Size 1 TSS with pashmina
    * Reading glasses
    * Case for varifocals
    * House/luggage keys on keystrap
    * Card game
    * iPad stylus + 2 pens
    * Folding fan

Basically I travel with way too much stuff, but TB bags just swallow it all up

[1] I thought I'd need to spend all day and evening at the convention hotel and therefore need to freshen up at least once, but the convention organisers had laid on shuttle buses every 30 minutes so I was able to get back to my hotel room whenever I needed to.
    Last edited by scribe; 07-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Love your cork putsch. Looks so nice.

Great post, @scribe! Very helpful packing list that I will refer to when packing for my upcoming week-long trip (as I tend to do shorter trips of 1-2 days). Have to ask, though, what is the brand/manufacturer of your travel washing line? It is so compact! Mine is this long cord that is always tangling.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Great post, @scribe! Very helpful packing list that I will refer to when packing for my upcoming week-long trip (as I tend to do shorter trips of 1-2 days).
    Bear in mind that I bought 3 extra t-shirts whilst I was there, and wore two of them - mostly because it was quite warm and humid, so it was nice to have two changes of clothes per day.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Have to ask, though, what is the brand/manufacturer of your travel washing line? It is so compact! Mine is this long cord that is always tangling.
    It's a Lifeventure Travel Clothes Line - but I haven't used it yet so I have no idea if it's prone to tangling or not. It's a double length of elastic paracord with suckers and hooks at each end.
    Collections:

How did you like Minneapolis (well, Bloomington), Scribe? Granted, if you were at a conference you probably didn't see it properly but it's a great city! I lived there for 10 years before moving to Washington, DC for a job and I still miss it! Did you get a chance to walk around Lake Harriet or even Lake Calhoun? Ah, Minneapolis...

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    How did you like Minneapolis (well, Bloomington), Scribe? Granted, if you were at a conference you probably didn't see it properly but it's a great city! I lived there for 10 years before moving to Washington, DC for a job and I still miss it! Did you get a chance to walk around Lake Harriet or even Lake Calhoun? Ah, Minneapolis...
    Alas I didn't get to see much of it - mostly just the Mall of America and the hotels around the cloverleaf near Mt Normandale Lake. Oh, and I took a bus to the USPS depot just off 98th Street & Grand Ave
    Holly likes this.
    Collections:

6 days in the US

Addendum: here are the WF and Pilot soaking up the sunshine outside Terminal 4 at Heathrow:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

Very handsome pairing, @scribe. I like the Dyneema/Ballistic combo. Have a Nordic Pilot that I have been using with my Navy TS. Decided to order a Navy Pilot when it recently became available to "match" my TS, but when it arrived, I found that I much prefer the "un-matching" Dyneema/Ballistic set!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

*lol* I was almost converted to dyneema exteriors by @ceepee's Pilot, but I'm very happy with my forest/steel one. I think it will coordinate well with the black/wasabi WF, being almost an inverse colour scheme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0