Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn based tiered EDC

Tom Bihn based tiered EDC

I own and love several Tom Bihn bags, but would often find myself with 'analysis paralysis' when trying to decide which one bag would best suit the load that I needed to carry on a particular day. I also hated having to transfer my stuff from one bag to another. So, inspired by the YouTube videos of The Urban Prepper (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUrbanPrepper) I created my own, basic, Tom Bihn based, tiered EDC system. Which, without further ado, I present to you now in all its Burnt Orange Glory .....

Tier 1:

OK, no bags and no Burnt Orange just yet ..... Just my keys, a teeny tiny Streamlight Nano torch and a Leatherman Style. These are always in my pocket so that if I happen to step outside the front door to chat with a neighbour, I'm not going to accidentally lock myself out (learnt the hard way!! )

Tier 2 = Tier 1 + :

Small Cafe bag containing (roughly left to right from top to bottom) folding shop bag, little screen wipe thingy, manicure set (trying hard to grow my nails after 40-odd years of biting them!), card wallet, sunglasses, store loyalty cards, spare AA batteries, Snow Peak mini spork & travel chopsticks, Joby tiny tripod, emergency battery pack & cable (in pouch), folding reading glasses, hand sanitiser spray, tissues, pen, penlight torch, (not pictured) iPhone, iPad mini, earbuds and folding cap. I also need to add a small first aid kit and have a double organiser pouch set aside for this purpose. I will carry this bag whenever I step outside the house for more than a few minutes. I use a 3D mesh organiser pouch to corral the small bits and bobs that wont fit in the front or internal pockets of the cafe bag. The dark interior doesn't bother me in the slightest because everything is kept in the same place and can be easily found without having to physically look inside.

Tier 3 = Tier 1 + Tier 2 + :

Depending on what else I feel the need to carry, this will either be my S19 or my S25 (or, soon, my Daylight Pack ). I will take this whenever I'm going further afield, out for an extended period or if the weather dictates. It will always contain a water bottle and a waterproof jacket but may also carry extra clothing layers, food, headphones, laptop in Cache etc etc. The Cafe Bag can be nested inside the backpack but I usually carry it separately for easy access to its contents.

A couple of weeks ago I went on holiday (car trip) for a couple of weeks. I took my S25 as my 1 travel bag. With my clothes packed into Pilot packing cubes, they were easily removed so that the S25 could also double as my Tier 3 on our days out.

YES! I do this, too.
    1: phone, TB wallet, keys in travel stuff sack size 1 (iberian)
    2: small cafe bag (linen/navy)
    3: large shop bag (nordic, steel 400d, or black) - kid #1 stuff is in his navy SCB, kid #2 stuff is in a PCSB
    backpack and WenV like this.

My goodness, what a lot of orange!

Kudos on doing a couple of weeks' holiday using only a S25 for your main luggage. I doubt I could manage that on recent experience, but it's definitely something to aim for. And I definitely like the tiered approach!

edited to add: how do you find those little folding reading glasses? I have reached that point in my life too - very shortsighted but starting to get presbyopia with age - so i carry a pair of cheap +1.5 ready readers, but they take up too much room... that's my excuse really, it's more that there isn't so much room left over when I'm carrying one of my 32 pairs of Oakley sunglasses in their hard case!
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Tom Bihn based tiered EDC

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    Kudos on doing a couple of weeks' holiday using only a S25 for your main luggage. I doubt I could manage that on recent experience, but it's definitely something to aim for. And I definitely like the tiered approach!
    It helped that I'd taken along a Scrubba Wash Bag (http://thescrubba.com - I believe that I first read about it on these very forums) and that the weather was nice enough to dry clothes reasonably quickly. Although there was a laundrette on site (re-visited my childhood by staying in a static caravan with my parents ) the Scrubba was so effective that I didn't need to make use of it. It just took 10 minutes every other morning rolling the bag around the veranda (didn't have those when I was little! ) to ensure we always had clean clothes on hand.

ceepee this is owsome! First I whatched the youtuub video that eWalker linked to on behalf of you mentioning the youtuuber, than I found your post. I am NOT an orange person BUT I love your picture. This burned orange looks so great. It would bite all my purples so I can not get one but I'll show this to my husband and hope he might be perswaded to buy something in that color so I can look at it in "person".

Love the zipperpulls on your S25! And I find this tear-approach very interesting. I do something like this but not as consequently as he and you. Will work on that. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and taking the time to describe everything so detailed. Maybe you just helped my SCB to a bit more fresh air. I sadly have to admit that I did not bring it out much till now.

Great post, great new ideas for me and my husband, thanks again!

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    edited to add: how do you find those little folding reading glasses? I have reached that point in my life too - very shortsighted but starting to get presbyopia with age - so i carry a pair of cheap +1.5 ready readers, but they take up too much room... that's my excuse really, it's more that there isn't so much room left over when I'm carrying one of my 32 pairs of Oakley sunglasses in their hard case!
    The Readoptics glasses are excellent. I actually prefer them to my 'proper' Specsaver glasses because they're so light and grippy, and they don't slide down my nose whilst I'm reading. I like them so much, I'm going to be placing an order for some more quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    ceepee this is owsome! First I whatched the youtuub video that eWalker linked to on behalf of you mentioning the youtuuber, than I found your post. I am NOT an orange person BUT I love your picture. This burned orange looks so great. It would bite all my purples so I can not get one but I'll show this to my husband and hope he might be perswaded to buy something in that color so I can look at it in "person".

Love the zipperpulls on your S25! And I find this tear-approach very interesting. I do something like this but not as consequently as he and you. Will work on that. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and taking the time to describe everything so detailed. Maybe you just helped my SCB to a bit more fresh air. I sadly have to admit that I did not bring it out much till now.

Great post, great new ideas for me and my husband, thanks again!

Ilkyway
    I buy Olive bags for my partner so I still get to look at that colour in person . He's not as organised as me but I'm working on it!

The zipper pulls are from an online store called Survival Depot (survivaldepot.co.uk) ..... I also have green ones for my partner

The tiered approach is so obvious when you think about it .... makes much more sense to add a bag for extra gear than switch everything to a whole new one!
    Ilkyway likes this.

I love it! Great collection and photos of the burn orange. It's really pretty.

I do something similar, but with my SEs. My nordic one always has my wallet/phone/keys. Steel SE is my diaper bag for the babbies. Then my clear 3d cube holds the miscellaneous things like band aids, food shears, shout wipes/hand wipes ect. I can easily move those three bags into any of my larger bags, or for quick errands, grab the nordic SE and go.
    ceepee and Ilkyway like this.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Thanks, ceepee. Very informative, as well as orange.

I use mostly the Synapse 19 and Large Cafe Bag. The Large Shop Bag always has a pair of reading glasses, a pen, and some paper. The Synapse has some permanent items (e.g., reading glasses, pen and paper, nail clipper, flashlight), but everything I would hate to get caught without stays in a Kit,* in the Synapse's main compartment, even at the cost of some redundancy. To change bags is just a matter of transferring the Kit.

Keys and cash in pants pockets. If something happened to my bag, I'd still have my keys.

*People are loving the Q-Kit. Where was the love for the Kit? Why did it go away?
    ceepee likes this.

I do much the same thing with my olive SE + S19 - the SE goes pretty much everywhere with me on weekdays, as it holds my phone, purse and house keys (as well as other small items), then I add the S19 for my commute as it has plenty of space for a lunchbox, brolly, ereader, SSB, etc.

However for weekends and days off I generally transfer phone, purse, keys and earbuds to my MCB, which contains duplicates of everything else that I keep in my SE (and some duplicates from my S19, like a SSB and compact brolly). I guess I could throw the SE into the MCB, but I prefer the mental transition from work to play that comes with the changeover
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I saw two of the youtube videos by now. But there is something I do not get. What means tiered EDC? EDC is clear (Every Day Carry) but the tiered I do not get. Or does it refer to the round chart of is inventory?

I am very close to convincing my better half that a burned orange S25 is all he wants in a Backpack. Hi has second thoughts about Olive and I now I would come to terms with this color if I had to, but I'd rather would not have to. (I know scribe you like it but we two can always agree on aubergine. By the way have a save trip tomorrow!)

Ilkyway

Tiered means that kits build on each other: tier one is the stuff you always have with you no matter what. For tier two, you have everything from tier one, plus some additional item. For tier three, you have everything from tier 2, plus different additional items.

For me, I always have my keys, phone, tissues and a small emergency kit. That's tier one. Anytime I leave the house, I have tier one. If I'm going to be away for the day, like to work or out for an afternoon, I have tier 2 which includes a water bottle, umbrella if its supposed to rain, maybe my tablet, and some additional niceties (tea, snacks). Tier 3 is when I'm going to be away for a substantial amount of time, or away from usual civilization, or somewhere where it would take a while to get to life's necessities. For example, away for a weekend, at the beach or at a concert where I wouldn't want to have to leave in the middle. Tier 3 includes a first aid kit (Tier one had bandaids and ibuprofen only), extra clothes, a towel, and perhaps picnic or wine accessories, and my inflatable cushion.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Thank you sturbridge, that cleared it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I saw two of the youtube videos by now. But there is something I do not get. What means tiered EDC? EDC is clear (Every Day Carry) but the tiered I do not get. Or does it refer to the round chart of is inventory?

I am very close to convincing my better half that a burned orange S25 is all he wants in a Backpack. Hi has second thoughts about Olive and I now I would come to terms with this color if I had to, but I'd rather would not have to. (I know scribe you like it but we two can always agree on aubergine. By the way have a save trip tomorrow!)

Ilkyway
    Dear Ilkway, you would be STUNNED at how gorgeous the aubergine and burnt orange are side by side. I have a deciduous tree in my garden whose leaves turn aubergine, gold, and burnt orange in the autumn. Even just the aubergine and burnt orange together are to die for! The combo always reminds me of the abundance of late summer and autumn.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Wow! Ceepee that is a fantastic setup! I love your Burnt Orange SCB plus the other B/orange collection. They all look great together!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0