Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn based tiered EDC

Love this, so much! Great photos! Like a bunch of other folks, I do something similar, although I'm terrible about moving my Bag 1 (I think of it as my "Root Bag") around. Right now it's a Side Effect, but sometimes it's the Small Cafe Bag, and sometimes it's the Medium Cafe Bag. These go into the Smart Alec or the S25 when needed.

The orange is just so beautiful. I'm so used to saying, about orange, "It isn't my color." And yet I notice that I can't stop staring at it.....I have a feeling an orange Cafe Bag is in my future.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I own and love several Tom Bihn bags, but would often find myself with 'analysis paralysis' when trying to decide which one bag would best suit the load that I needed to carry on a particular day. I also hated having to transfer my stuff from one bag to another. So, inspired by the YouTube videos of The Urban Prepper (TheUrbanPrepper - YouTube)
    Is this the video?

Link to PDF
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-01-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: ETA: Link to PDF with details
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Tiered means that kits build on each other: tier one is the stuff you always have with you no matter what. For tier two, you have everything from tier one, plus some additional item. For tier three, you have everything from tier 2, plus different additional items.
    So basically we are talking about a structured set of nested module bags or packing cubes?

I like this approach! I guess that is what I have been trying to do!

But instead of being urban survival oriented, and ours setups are mostly travel comfort or mobile computing/working oriented.

Based on that we can build a matrix allocating each module for each kind of "travel" and a TB bag to corral then... that would be interesting!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    So basically we are talking about a structured set of nested module bags or packing cubes?

I like this approach! I guess that is what I have been trying to do!

But instead of being urban survival oriented, and ours setups are mostly travel comfort or mobile computing/working oriented.

Based on that we can build a matrix allocating each module for each kind of "travel" and a TB bag to corral then... that would be interesting!
    I think The Urban Prepper uses the packing cubes more for organising his Bug Out Bags (BOBs). This is the video that I first saw that explains his tiered EDC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdy1waSwjn8

How you want to manage the actual carry part depends on personal preference. For example, in the above video, The Urban Prepper doesn't resort to a bag until tier 4. However, I can't stand carrying stuff in my pockets so if I want to carry anything more than my house keys then i will take a bag..... plus, any excuse to use my lovely TB bags, right??

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I can't stand carrying stuff in my pockets so if I want to carry anything more than my house keys then i will take a bag..... plus, any excuse to use my lovely TB bags, right??
    Yup! I agree with you!!

Nowadays, I rather nest bags then use tactical pants or vests for my EDC, so my tier 2 would already be a TB product, probably a pouch then either a SE or the Lead Pocket and so on!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-01-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I know scribe you like it but we two can always agree on aubergine. By the way have a save trip tomorrow!
    Yes, we can! And thank you! Only a couple of hours now before I have to leave for the airport
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Yes, we can! And thank you! Only a couple of hours now before I have to leave for the airport
    Gosh... I almost forgot! Have a nice trip and a safe return!

I will keep refreshing the Pilot page while you are out!

Gosh... I almost forgot! Have a nice trip and a safe return!
    Thanks!

I will keep refreshing the Pilot page while you are out!
    I've signed up for the Pilot availability email - though that doesn't stop me from going back to the page every so often!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Have fun

Volunteer Moderator
    Have a great trip. Enjoy your con, and the Tom Bihn fest.

ceepee I printed out the PDF-Files of the youtuber (I have to learn his name!) for my husband. I think the next few days we wount see much of him. And after that: a Synapse 25 for him to put in all the thinks he finds he will need to carry around from now on ;-)

With him I have to find the right approach if I want to buy a bag for him. I only was allowed to order him a A45 after he had the chance to practicepack my A45. But than I had to hurry because MY A45 was in great danger to be conquered by him. Lucky for me he realy likes the forest so my aubergine is save now. I wonder if this will be the same with the A30 once mine arrives... Well I am babbeling because I have a mountain of uninteresting paper to work through and I am procrestonating... sorry for that.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Have a great trip. Enjoy your con, and the Tom Bihn fest.
    Thanks! @ceepee's Pilot got strip-searched at security - the poor lady emptying it out was utterly bemused by my plethora of OPs and stuff sacks (IIRC, at least 8 & 6 respectively!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

Thanks! @ceepee's Pilot got strip-searched at security - the poor lady emptying it out was utterly bemused by my plethora of OPs and stuff sacks (IIRC, at least 8 & 6 respectively!)
    Haha, bet she just wanted a good look at the Pilot and got more than she bargained for

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    ceepee I printed out the PDF-Files of the youtuber (I have to learn his name!) for my husband. I think the next few days we wount see much of him. And after that: a Synapse 25 for him to put in all the thinks he finds he will need to carry around from now on ;-)
    Enabling points for you @Ilkyway and @ceepee! I was working on justifying the Daylight Backpack for me after buying the 400d Dyneema PCBP and you gave me the reason... I am using one of then on my emergency preparedness plan.

And @moriond just give a really nice tip on how to make the 400d PCSB more structured using the DOP!

Give some more time and I will find a way to justify a Nordic PCSB (hopefully)!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-02-2014 at 04:44 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

eWalker did you order the Nordic PCSB jet and are trying to justify it "afterpurchas"? If not, there is no need since it is out of stock. The only Nordic left are the two PCBPs. If you need help justifying one of these just say the word.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0