Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: 3 Months 1 Bag Packing List

3 Months 1 Bag Packing List

Here is the packing list for my three month trip (I am three weeks in now). I had to plan for diverse climates and a variety of situations. I first spent a week in Iceland on my way to meet my parents for a hiking trip on the Amalfi Coast of Italy. I am now traveling by train, boat, and bus through Eastern Europe and in mid-July I head to Africa beginning in Uganda and ending in Cape Town. Finally, traveling back to the US through Brazil, Chile, and Colombia. This list is very similar to my Round the World Post but I continue to refine things a bit.

Synapse 25 - Black Dyneema / Iberian

If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go.

3 Icebreaker Marino T-shirts
    2 Icebreaker Marino boxers
    2 Long sleeve shirts (Wool & Price, Wrangler)
    *I brought an extra LS shirt because I needed to dress a little smartly for dinner in Italy.
    1 Short sleeve shirt (Icebreaker)

2 Long pants (Outlier, Prana)
    1 Shorts (Patagonia)
    1 Board shorts ( Patagonia)
    1 Sleep shorts (Icebreaker Sonic)

2 Pair Icebreaker socks (Hike Lite Mini)
    1 Bandana
    1 Adidas bathing suit (boxer brief style)
    1 Trucker cap
    1 Columbia sun hat
    1 Golite rain shell
    1 Montbell U.L. down vest

1 Pair Converse slip-on tennis shoes
    1 Pair Luna Mono Sandals (awesome! - hike, run, work-out)
    1 Pair Toms espadrilles (sent them home after Italy)

1 iPhone 5s (T-mobile free data and text in 100 countries)
    * I don't bring a separate camera.
    1 Morphie Juice-pack
    1 iPad Mini
    1 Battery for recharging devices (Satachi)
    1 Small Bluetooth Speaker (Lon)
    1 Monster Outlets to Go
    1 Road Warrior Adapter
    1 Bose 20i in-ear noise canceling headphones (simply the best!)

1 Klean Kanteen insulated water bottle (16 oz)
    1 REI Flash 18 backpack (clothes go inside and it goes in the S25)
    1 Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter compression cube set
    1 RayBan folding Wayfarer sunglasses (fit perfectly, when folded, in the soft side pocket)
    3 Small juggling balls (I'm learning!)

Small Toiletries Bag
    Contacts Pouch
    Miscellaneous Items Pouch
    2 Charging cords (Apple, mini USB)
    1 Small Moleskine notebook and Pens
    1 Steripen (water sterilization)
    1 Small headlamp

Passport (Global Entry) in TB shielded passport pouch

Everything fits comfortably in the S25 with a little extra room, which I have found is important to actually operate out of the bag on a daily basis. I typically travel wearing a T-shirt, long pants, and the Converse.

If I need special gear for hiking, camping, climbing or other sports, I try to send it ahead and pick it up where I am going to use it. I am sending a pair of hiking shoes and gaiters to meet me in Dubai because I will need them in Africa.

This is what it looks like ready to go in the pack.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2651
Size:  717.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2668
Size:  613.0 KB

Your packing lists are always super detailed and I really appreciate them. My S25, with its decidedly more urban existence, admits to being more than a little jealous of your S25. And now I'm wondering if I should worry that my bags are talking to me...

At any rate, is your extra scaled-down toiletry list much different in terms of quantities than your RTW list? Or have you found that you can re-stock with the options available in your current location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very impressive! Do the clothes and shoes on that list include the ones you are wearing? Either way I think the EC compression bags can be very helpful and pair well with TB gear.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

That's in impressive list. Not to derail, but does anyone know whether the EC compression cubes work well in the Tri-Star? Do they produce a bulgy bag? I love my TB packing cubes, but there are times where a bit of compression might be a positive thing.
    eWalker likes this.

The EC compression cubes would work very well in a Tri-Star because they tend to "flatten" down whatever is in them. They don't suck the air out like other compression bags just eliminate the extra space.
    jmoz and eWalker like this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by jppreston View Post
    1 Pair Luna Mono Sandals (awesome! - hike, run, work-out)
    Thanks for the link. I was very curious about as I still searching for light weight sandals!

I am size 12 so any weight cut there is more then welcome!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Is it just me, or would only a guy think of packing more shirts than underpants?
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Is it just me, or would only a guy think of packing more shirts than underpants?
    *raises hand* I am of the female persuasion and I bring more shirts than undies. I just repeated my three weeks in Europe with an S19 and missed absolutely nothing, used everything and wish I could actually live like that in non-vacation life. Thank you Tom Bihn, Eagle Creek, and the one bag community.
    eWalker likes this.

@conversa....packing list? Would you be willing to share?
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

It's interesting that you use your REI Flash 18 as a packing cube/stuff sack. Do you also use your REI Flash 18 as a daypack and leave your S25 in the hotel when you arrive at your destination? The reason I ask is because I just received my new S25, and I already own an REI Stuff Travel Daypack (which I believe is similar in size and weight to the REI Flash 18). My initial thinking is to use the S25 as my main travel bag and also as my daypack. I'm trying to get some ideas. Thanks.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    @conversa....packing list? Would you be willing to share?
    My attempt at a packing post last year was lackluster. I'll give it another try now inspired by @jppreston 's post. Maybe even a video to head off incredulity.

Quote Originally Posted by conversa View Post
    *raises hand* I am of the female persuasion and I bring more shirts than undies.
    To be fair, I usually do pack a slight majority of tops - I guess I was just a little taken aback at the thought of only 3 pairs of underpants (including the ones being worn) for such a long trip. But we may be heading into TMI territory at this point
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I've read plenty of blog entries (elsewhere, of course) where men packing merino wool unders comment on how they are wearable for DAYS before needing to be washed. I think to myself, "just because they don't smell, doesn't mean they're not dirty! Sheesh!"
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I've read plenty of blog entries (elsewhere, of course) where men packing merino wool unders comment on how they are wearable for DAYS before needing to be washed. I think to myself, "just because they don't smell, doesn't mean they're not dirty! Sheesh!"
    Exactly! Ewwww....
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Exactly! Ewwww....
    In my defense, I pack less underwear cos I plan to wash them, they're small and easier to launder than shirts or pants. Plus they're more unobtrusive when hung up after washing. I can deal with mildly dirty outerwear, but not underwear lol

Slightly off topic: ironically, because I can stuff so much into a TB bag, I find myself less obsessive with packing light nowadays. It's not like I have trouble finding space for the extra clothing lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0