Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: 3 Months 1 Bag Packing List

Undies - wash one, wear one. Why would carrying more be better?

Everything I have can be laundered in the sink which I do every couple of days. Marino wool and the synthetics are dry within hours.

Flash 18 - I do exactly that. I use it as a daypack at my destination.

My toiletries are the same as I described at the end of This Post

Yes - the list is everything I have with me - including what I am wearing.

I would think, two, or twenty two, as long as they are clean, who cares.
    The concern was that some were under the impression that they were being reworn less than fresh since the high performance fabric kept odors away. I too was sqicked out by the thought of the undies not being actually clean. For others like myself who don't travel with this much discipline, thanks for clarifying. It gives me food for thought for future trips for myself.

Upon rereading, I want to clarify, I am disciplined to have clean undies. I just pack enough for each night of my trip, or plan a laundry day. I don't have the discipline to bring only one other than what I wear, and nightly wash my clothes. . .

On the upside, if everything is washed nightly, I guess you don't have the dilemma of what to do with dirty clothes so they don't contaminate the clean ones. Sounds like everything is always clean or worn. I do like that idea!
    Last edited by dorayme; 06-06-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I am also of the rule of three for travel. One for wear, one in the wash/drying, and one spare. Even with kids it works for us. It's much easier to keep track of everything when there is less.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    I am also of the rule of three for travel. One for wear, one in the wash/drying, and one spare. Even with kids it works for us. It's much easier to keep track of everything when there is less.
    So what does this look like wash wise? Do you wash daily to keep the ratio straight? Do you bring laundry soap? What kind do you recommend? Do you plan for daily laundry time, or just make it happen before turning in for the night? Do you launder everything in the sink, or actually find a washing machine? Maybe I have unique body chemistry, use crappy soap, or have some other failure, but I feel scuzzy when my clothes go a certain amount of time without a machine wash. I would love tips to see if this system could work for me and my family.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

@jppreston
    I didn't see any mention of 1st aid kits in your list, is that really unimportant?
    You're learning to juggle? Would you consider busking if you got good enough? Provided it's legal to do so in the cities you visit of course

@everyone
    I think the blogs saying high performance fabric gear being able to be worn for days without washing, could be basing that on travels through temperate countries. I can understand that, especially if they were traveling from late fall till early spring.
    But no matter how high the performance of the fabric, I seriously do not advise wearing them for days in Southeast Asian countries, particularly underwear. To put it mildly, you might end up with nappy rash if you did that (it's an understatement, but I'm not going to get too graphic describing medical conditions here lol).

ETA: Not just SEA countries actually, anywhere where its hot and humid.

For trips longer than 1 night I pack my wash kit. A ziplock bag filled with packets of woolite, a sink stopper, clothes line, clothes pins, and shout wipes. I get it all from amazon in bulk. I'll get the clothes soaking while the kids are in the bath for the night. Agitate, rinse, drain, and then hang up before bed.

If we are staying in one place for at least a week, I look for a washing machine in the air bnb listing. They usually include detergent or I can pick it up. Then I wash everything when we are down to the last set (bc if this is the case, we are staying in city where we can get emergency items or I've factored in shopping for the kids.) I love the zip off pants for my boys in the summer from REI. They wash and dry fast, and are pants and shorts in one. In the winter we usually bring 2 pairs of jeans for the adults and the older boy, then 3 pairs for the younger two (toddlers) plus cover suits (either rain or snow ones depending in weather) to try to limit the mess when they play in parks.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

I need to start including a first aid kit. I usually forget bc when we drive, we have one stashed in the car. But a set of Neosporin and band aids would be better than nothing! I usually bring adult Advil and children's in my 311 bag.
    eWalker likes this.
    My TB family:

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    So what does this look like wash wise? Do you wash daily to keep the ratio straight? Do you bring laundry soap? What kind do you recommend? Do you plan for daily laundry time, or just make it happen before turning in for the night? Do you launder everything in the sink, or actually find a washing machine? Maybe I have unique body chemistry, use crappy soap, or have some other failure, but I feel scuzzy when my clothes go a certain amount of time without a machine wash. I would love tips to see if this system could work for me and my family.
    Might it be psychological, dorayme?
    The reason why I prefer not to wash larger articles of clothing while traveling is because I keep thinking there might be SOME corner I haven't scrubbed. And also because I'm not convinced I can ever do it as well as a washing machine could. (Yes I feel inferior to a washing machine :P)
    eWalker likes this.

Marino Wool - it really is an amazing fabric. When describing how it never smells, I am mainly discussing the shirts, which I tend to wear a day or 2 longer than the underwear before laundering (depending on climate or activity). And by he way, Marino really does deliver, even in SE Asia.

Laundry is actually super easy. I just wash my things out in the sink or shower with whatever soap happens to be at hand, wring them out, hang them up somewhere and the wool things, at least, are dry in a few hours (again depending on climate). It takes all of about 3 minutes so it's no big deal. My pants and shorts are synthetic and take a little longer to dry but I also don't wash them nearly as often. IMO, this is another advantage about traveling with fewer things and specifically with Marino wool. It is very easy to keep things clean and organized.

First Aid - for normal travel, I just keep some ibuprofen, a small amount of duct tape and a few capsules of general antibiotic (which I've never actually used). In most countries, I'm never far from a pharmacy. It goes with my theory to only pack what I actually use on a daily or weekly basis and pick up any one-time specifics when and if I need them.

As an aside, since I cut out gluten from my diet and quit drinking, I rarely (never) get sick!

Juggling - haha, I would love to get good enough to busk but at my current rate of progress that is highly unlikely in this lifetime! And the guys on the streets in Medellin, where I spend a fair amount of time, are incredible!

I too love to juggle - it is great exercise, especially when learning. I am not very good at all and still enjoy it. Watching a really good juggler, like the one I saw last year in a Circque se Soliel show, is thrilling.

Great information on your list - thanks for sharing.

I mailed the extra long sleeve shirt and one pair of socks home today. ��

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Might it be psychological, dorayme?
    The reason why I prefer not to wash larger articles of clothing while traveling is because I keep thinking there might be SOME corner I haven't scrubbed. And also because I'm not convinced I can ever do it as well as a washing machine could. (Yes I feel inferior to a washing machine :P)
    It most definitely is! That and we don't own many performance fabric articles of clothing, or regularly do extended travel, so other than to go on principle, there hasn't really been a reason to try. I am considering adding some merino basics to my wardrobe, and when I do, I think I may experiment with the sink laundering.
    eWalker likes this.

Something else I forgot to mention. I bring a Travelrest travel pillow. It is inflatable and is the only pillow that I've tried that really works for me. It rolls up fairly small when deflated. I used it today on the train.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  441.7 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  452.0 KB

Yeah I used to be the kind of person who needed to change my shirt midday on hot summer days, but discovering merino has been fantastic - I've worn the same merino tank up to, I think, five days in a row with no issues. My boyfriend, who I've also converted, could wear cotton shirts two days in a row, and now didn't have to wash any of his three (or maybe it was four?) merino shirts on a recent two week trip (and they still weren't stinky when he got back).

By the way, jppreston, your original RTW packing list is part of what inspired me to commit to using my Synapse 25 for travel, and it's been great!

@jppreston How do you like the Morphie? What iphone do you have? The reviews on amazon are kind of mixed. I'm thinking though that this would be so handy--instant extra battery life would definitely make life easier. I'd be more inclined the hand the iphone over to my kids to play a game/watch a movie while out at a typical 3-hour-long-Euro-meal, and still have juice to access google maps
    eWalker likes this.
    My TB family:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0