Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Smaller is better

Smaller is better

This was inspired by a comment Amy made recently regarding clever travel supplies and being on a down sizing mission along with being meticulously miniaturized. I thought I was the only person on the planet that makes every effort to find a smaller way to do something. This photo is a simple start.

Name:  Minis.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  38.6 KB

Left to right is a small package of Equal tabs, yes I sometimes use chemicals. My fix is a small pill fob.
    Next is a small bottle of ibuprophen. I carry half a dozen in a small pill fob.
    Then is my tote bag that folds up into a key chain size package, flashlight and mini Altoids tin. I don't wear contacts but the case is great for a bit of lotion or toothpaste for an overnight trip.

Please share your minis.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Those pill fobs are super cool - I've never seen them before. Do you happen to know what brand you have?

I'd actually thought of decanting some pills into a mini Altoids tin but these seems even better. My only concern is the idea of carrying pills in an unmarked container. Might it be something that customs officials would look askance at? (In my case it would just be Advil and Benadryl rather than anything prescription.)
    Moose likes this.

Hi Emily,
    I found the ones I have at REI. On line you might check The Container Store or Amazon. I've flown with them for years and they've never even been noticed let alone questioned. Below are just a couple I found.
    Moose

Amazon.com: SE - Small Pill/ID Holder Keychain (Assorted Colors): Everything Else

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Small-Pill-...ords=pill+fobs
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I've seen pill fobs at all kinds of chain drugstores near the pharmacy counter.
    Moose likes this.

The small-sized Go Tubbs are great for pills that don't fit into something as tiny as those key fobs:

Name:  GoTubb100607G_l.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  12.8 KB

I generally carry meds in their original blister pack, but things like vitamins that come in tubs need decanting.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

@Moose, I almost - almost - bought a contact case before my last trip to carry a small amount of liquid makeup. Next time I won't hesitate.
    Moose likes this.

I have super sensitive and dry skin, so traveling with liquids is always a challenge. I discovered on my last trip that I can take two weeks' worth of my liquid foundation in a sample cosmetic container like this one:

Amazon.com : 50 New, Empty, Clear, 5 Gram Plastic Pot Jars, Cosmetic Containers. : Beauty

Since you won't need 50 of them (!!!), you can got a sample from the makeup counter at a department store.

I piggyback on the recommendation of GoTubs. They are a great size for vitamins. In another, I have filled it up with body butter for when may skin gets extra dry, either on the plane or in an arid destination. Then I also carry three clear plastic, low profile pill cases (REI has them for $.55. Pharmacy has them, too.). One is filled with sweetner. The second carries one day's worth of my medication and vitamins, in the event I have forgotten something in my daily frenzy.
    The third carries aleve, ibuprophen, whatever. These little guys get tucked into a small clear OP, along with nail clipper, hearing aid batteries, a few cough drops, and two little blister packs of my allergy meds....then into my SE.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I've seen those pill fobs at Walgreens.

I agree that Go Tubbs are good for pills. If you have a Daiso store near you (Japanese dollar store, actually everything is 1.50) they sell handy stainless steel (plastic lid) and plastic containers (also plastic lid) that hold small amounts of medicine or food.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    Since you won't need 50 of them (!!!), you can got a sample from the makeup counter at a department store.
    Check on eBay - you can get as few as three 5ml pots on there. I bought a trio with black, white and clear lids, but they're so tiny I haven't found a good use for them yet!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

There are also some neat little containers that are handy for travel at Collapsible Bottle - Lee Valley Tools and Mini Containers - Lee Valley Tools

Very funny: in the forum-overwiev it was just now saying: "smaller is better by espresso" that made me laugh considering that some say espresso being the better kind of coffee and as it is so small...

I also use the Go Tubbs like scribe. I use both the small and the bigger size for both prescription drugs and vitamins and/or over the counter drugs (like advil, etc). I can't remember if I have traveled on a plane with it but I use it daily so I can carry smaller containers. This is especially true of vitamins wherein the original containers have hundreds of pills.

I got a pack of mini Ziploc-style pill bags from the local drugstore. They are sturdy, and work great for everything from Advil to earrings to earplugs. The flat, squarish shape fits well in a Side Effect pocket or mini organizer pouch. They function like mini file folders, and can even be labeled.

I got some bigger bags from the bead store (a longer rectangular shape) for necklaces and bandaids. I have Moose's nifty pill fobs, but for longer trips, I keep using the pill baglets.

And about mini jars - I ask for a few when I buy face soap from Origins. They carry nice ones.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0