Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Smaller is better

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    And about mini jars - I ask for a few when I buy face soap from Origins. They carry nice ones.
    I just did the same at Kiehl's during the friends/family sale. I bought several products and wanted to decant some into small containers; they gave me a few sample size bottles. This worked very well for things like face wash.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    I got a pack of mini Ziploc-style pill bags from the local drugstore. They are sturdy, and work great for everything from Advil to earrings to earplugs. The flat, squarish shape fits well in a Side Effect pocket or mini organizer pouch. They function like mini file folders, and can even be labeled.

I got some bigger bags from the bead store (a longer rectangular shape) for necklaces and bandaids.
    This is EXACTLY what I do. I'd consider myself to be compulsive about minimizing. I also melted some deodorant into an old Chapstick tube to get everything down even further. I also use the contact cases for sunscreen, etc...
    spamjam likes this.

My current travel deodorant is Lush's The Greench powder, decanted in a small plastic bottle (2" or so high) - bought after reading a thread on here about cutting down your 3-1-1 bag with dry toiletries. Not as tiny as a chapstick, but a bit less hassle to put together!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I like these jars - http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10000245. For some reason, the Container Store is the only place I've found that carries them outside of a travel kit (they're not even on the Nalgene website, go figure). But they last forever, don't leak and are great for things like hair goo and thick lotions that are hard to get into/out of ordinary bottles. And they're made in the US.

I like the idea of using the Ziploc style bags for pills. It's so much easier to use a container that you can tuck into a variety of places, as opposed to a hard container! I looked the bags up on amazon. They have 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 sizes. I'm curious about which size you all use for your vitamins and daily meds? Thanks!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    I like the idea of using the Ziploc style bags for pills. It's so much easier to use a container that you can tuck into a variety of places, as opposed to a hard container! I looked the bags up on amazon. They have 2x2, 2x3 and 2x4 sizes. I'm curious about which size you all use for your vitamins and daily meds? Thanks!
    If you live close to a craft or bead store - they have all sorts of bags/containers for beads which will work.

Also, when you are buying aspirin - some will come with a free mini pill bottle. I always look for those.

Also, check out the travel/trail size section at stores - if I see the size bottle I need I'll buy the product and dump the contents.

Kiehl's is really good for sample packets and Sephora is great if you want a tiny container of a makeup or skincare item.

We were facing the first hurricane to strike my hometown, so at lunch we all made on last run to Home Depot. I was standing at the all the different sizes of batteries AAA, AA, C, D. I was trying to remember which devices used which size and how many. After the storm I came to a decision - I would never own another device that didn't run on either AA or AAA batteries (this was many years ago before mp3/cell phones). So now when we are faced with a possible power outage or go camping all I need are AAA batteries for a 15 plus year old Sony Walkman radio (which still runs super) and a mini flashlight.

For all the 'other' devices - we camp with super quiet Honda generators (also for power outages at home) - so charging up isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    I like these jars - http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10000245. For some reason, the Container Store is the only place I've found that carries them outside of a travel kit (they're not even on the Nalgene website, go figure). But they last forever, don't leak and are great for things like hair goo and thick lotions that are hard to get into/out of ordinary bottles. And they're made in the US.

I second Nalgene, I have bottles that are a decade old, bought right when the 3-1-1 rule went into effect.

I'd rather keep over the counter pills in blister packs for international travel, they make a really slim package.

In my EDC, those same pills are kept in Tic-Tac boxes inside a Small Pouch or inside my fabulous first Side Effect.

Prescription medicines are always in their original container because it has a mini printout of the prescription on the bottle.

The problem is not Europe, it is other regions of the world. Some countries are really strict about controlled substance, which prescription medications, are.

I have certainly gone more minimalist from a Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag to an S19 and SCB.

However, I have had trouble replacing my Clear Quarter Packing Cube with something slimmer and....

I think the Double Organizer Pouches are just the ticket!
    Last edited by backpack; 05-24-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    I'm curious about which size you all use for your vitamins and daily meds? Thanks!
    I have 2x2 for pills.

I have 2x4 for a very small first aid kit with a couple bandaids, and travel neosporin and travel hydrocortisone cream.

Thanks SKIMT!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I second Nalgene, I have bottles that are a decade old
    I've actually broken a Nalgene bottle. It was one of the old-style polyethylene ones and did not survive being tossed in a bag from a van rooftop carrier. Unfortunately, it was quart-size and packed full of pickles, then packed in my gear bag, AND it cracked at the start of a multi-day backcountry canoe trip. I smelled like/slept in pickle juice for a week. Still like pickles, still like Nalgene (it was not a new bottle by any stretch). Will probably never need to take pickles camping again.

I like the idea of using Tic-Tac boxes for pills. I've got some small bottles from a sample prescription that I use for travel, but I think the flat+dispenser top concept is about to make its way into my everyday life. After I buy some Tic-Tacs - I'm usually an Altoids gal.

I love downsizing in every day life!! (Hence my SE is, and always will be, my EDC). But, as a noob overseas traveler (1st trip will be this summer), can I downsize my prescription pills into one smaller container? Or do I need to bring them in labeled prescription bottles? I can often go many months without serious back problems, but I understand that ALOT of Italy will be by foot. I'm afraid to be caught on vacation without my pain relief should my back go out. The Naproxen and Utram (Tramadol) aren't controlled substances, but the Soma is. I hate to bring all these bottles, but I am nervous about keeping my back uninjured this whole trip (especially if I have to sleep on a cross Atlantic jet).
    eWalker likes this.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

You need to carry them in a labeled container, prescription only. You van ask your pharmacist for a label to place on a mini plastic bag for your prescription. It beats carrying another container.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I love downsizing in every day life!! (Hence my SE is, and always will be, my EDC). But, as a noob overseas traveler (1st trip will be this summer), can I downsize my prescription pills into one smaller container? Or do I need to bring them in labeled prescription bottles? I can often go many months without serious back problems, but I understand that ALOT of Italy will be by foot. I'm afraid to be caught on vacation without my pain relief should my back go out. The Naproxen and Utram (Tramadol) aren't controlled substances, but the Soma is. I hate to bring all these bottles, but I am nervous about keeping my back uninjured this whole trip (especially if I have to sleep on a cross Atlantic jet).
    I put all my unlabeled prescription medications in a mini organizer pouch and was never questioned last fall when I went to Europe. I went through customs in Paris and Amsterdam. I wonder if I was just lucky? None were controlled substances, but none garnered a second look, either. hm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0