Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 3 weeks across USA in JUNE

3 weeks across USA in JUNE

Hey all, be great to get some feedback!

We are staying in nice hotels the whole time so I'm not bothering with toiletries. Maybe this a problem.

Anyway, here's my list:

Wearing on plane:

Jeans
    T-shirt
    Jacket
    Boots
    1 x underwear
    1 x socks
    Hat
    Travel pillow
    Phone
    Wallet
    Headphones

Aeronaut:

Passport wallet
    Copy of passport

1 x jeans
    5 x t-shirts
    2 x button up shirts
    1 x shorts
    1 x board shorts
    1 x exercise short
    1 x exercise shirt

5 x underwear
    3 x socks
    1 x sport socks

1 x running shoes
    1 x thongs

Passport
    Print outs of everything (flights, hotels, tickets)

Torch
    Shard tool

Headache tablets
    Berocca tablets
    Hydration tablets
    Multivitamin
    Cold and flu vitamins
    Buscopan

MacBook air or iPad

Camera

Phone charger
    Computer charger
    Camera charger

2 x shopping bags

Drink bottle

AUS to US power convertor plug

Detergent

Sunglasses

Thongs. Hahaha, luckily you grouped that with the sneakers. For our US friends... thongs are Flip flops.
    I'm Australian as well.

I would add a solid toiletries item like a Lush shampoo bar which can double as body wash and shampoo and isn't included in the 3-1-1 limit. Even some upscale hotels have cheap and nasty toiletries (with pretty packaging) or with strong smells you may not like.

I agree with bijoux, at least plan space for your own toiletries. You might dislike what's available. I agree with the thong think too. I grew up calling them that, now, not so much.

What is a shard tool please?
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Why the torch (flashlight)? Also, if you are bringing button up tops, you may want to add a pair of khakis or chinos if you want to dine out in a nice restaurant. Some finer dining restaurants have dress codes (some of the REALLY upscale ones also require a jacket).

What cites are you going to?
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Why the torch (flashlight)?
    Excerpted from Doug Dyment's OneBag web site PDF document on How to Survive a Plane Crash:

Flashlights (Torches)
    Many aircraft emergencies involve the loss of power and, consequently, the failure of cabin lighting; smoke can also dramatically reduce the ability to see one’s surroundings. So it’s difficult to over- emphasize the importance of carrying your own source of quality illumination, in the form of a powerful, reliable, rugged, long-lasting, waterproof flashlight (torch).

Such a light is highly useful in a variety of travel situations: navigating dark streets, late night reading, finding your way to the toilet, exploring lava tubes in Hawai'i, and locating items in an overhead compartment on a night flight. But nowhere is it more likely to save your life than in the event of a plane crash (or hotel fire).

Fortunately, thanks to modern LED technology, this critical survival tool can also be surprisingly small and lightweight. Expect to spend around $50 for a top-of-the line light, and expect to be amazed at its capabilities. Ensure that (1) its batteries are reasonably fresh (for this reason, it’s better to select one that uses ubiquitous AA batteries, rather than exotic photo/watch batteries), and (2) you keep it handy: there’s no point in having a state-of-the-art survival tool buried somewhere in your luggage.

At night, consider turning off your at-seat light(s) during the “full alert” periods; this allows your eyes to pre-adjust to the darkness in case of an emergency. Most aircraft dim the main cabin lights for nighttime takeoffs and landings; simply take this a step further by turning yours off as well.
    The document references onebag.com's tools page for more detailed recommendations. (I carry one of the other Quark Minis as a flashlight. It's useful when I need a small, bright light.)

HTH. moriond
    haraya and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Excerpted from Doug Dyment's OneBag web site PDF document on How to Survive a Plane Crash:

The document references onebag.com's tools page for more detailed recommendations. (I carry one of the other Quark Minis as a flashlight. It's useful when I need a small, bright light.)

HTH. moriond
    @moriond have you tried the "Vip Guardian Light"? Same manufacturer of Tom Bihn Guardian DF Light but five times more powerful. I wished TB would sell that model too!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-22-2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

In the event of a plane crash, I don't think you want to start searching for a flashlight while everyone is trying to evacuate.

I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight app.

This is what I carry in my carry-on or day bag:

Nebo Luma Lite LED Flashlight (Grey) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @moriond have you tried the "Vip Guardian Light"? Same manufacturer of Tom Bihn Guardian DF Light but five times more powerful. I wished TB would sell that model too!
    @eWalker
    That's a pretty powerful light!
    However, if you are planning to get it, I strongly suggest NOT using it as an interior bag light.
    Especially if your bag has a Solar interior. :P
    Trust me, I found out the hard way >.<"

@grifter
    if your phone or camera can be charged using usb, you could consider leaving the respective chargers behind.
    Last edited by icebeng; 05-22-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    @eWalker
    That's a pretty powerful light!
    However, if you are planning to get it, I strongly suggest NOT using it as an interior bag light.
    Especially if your bag has a Solar interior. :P
    Trust me, I found out the hard way >.<"
    Advice taken! Thanks!!

I liked it's versatility and the fact that that I don't have to flip the battery to change modes.

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    icebeng likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight
    Frank et al... I carry a flashlight on my keychain, and also have one in my nightstand. You never know if there will be a power outage, and/or an emergency like an earthquake, etc. When I travel, I keep one in my Travel Tray which takes the place of (or is on) my nightstand. I love these tiny little guys and have given one to just about all my loved ones and friends:

Photon X-Micro Freedom Light

(I also have this bright yellow version, but prefer the one above. I think I originally saw the Photon here in one of Darcy's photo posts, and followed links to the Candlepower and EDC forums.)

They are cheap, lightweight, and long-lasting. My kids each have one - in fact I think I may get (breakaway) lanyards for them, to wear on the plane along with a whistle.

(Sometimes for the nightstand/Travel Tray I prefer one of the pen-shaped lights/torches, as they are easier to grab, but the nice thing about the Photons is their size - so small I never have to decide whether to take one with me.)
    Last edited by haraya; 05-22-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    In the event of a plane crash, I don't think you want to start searching for a flashlight while everyone is trying to evacuate.

I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight app.

This is what I carry in my carry-on or day bag:

Nebo Luma Lite LED Flashlight (Grey) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com
    @Frank II I agree that I don't carry a flashlight because I think I'll use it in case of a plane crash. The typical use is in hotels or other locations where there is a power outage, doing quick rental car inspections when picking up cars late in the evening, and various occasions when I just need a light. I ran a search of Doug Dyment's site, because I remember he had picked out the Quark line (AA model) by FourSevens not too long after it was released, and included some links/performance specs. (I'd been following the FourSevens Quark product debuts On the Candlepower forums at the time.)

I carry (in my purse or "purse like object" aka PLO) a Quark MiNi CR123 that was a little under $30. This was from a custom run of neutral whites done a few years ago; the closest current spec might be something like this FOURSEVENS Mini 123/ML Black Finish / Cool White LED G2; 1XCR123A; 216 Lumens.

I like the small form factor and ability to adjust to very high brightness with a very good, uniform beam of these lights. This is small enough for very easy operation in my hands, (including switching operation modes/brightness one-handed), but provides more "heft" than the photon-style lights, and I can tail-stand it if I need to while performing a fix. This also has very good battery longevity. Not necessarily the latest or the greatest, but something I've been carrying for a few years.

moriond

Actually, in the event of ANY kind of emergency, I would want my flashlight with me. A powerful, long-lasting one with the option to display a distress signal that would keep going for a day or two in the event that I became unconscious. I keep the Photon X-Micro Freedom Light and a Four Sevens Mini ML (both quite small) in my Side Effect, which stays on my body at all times, including take-off and landing. I wouldn't have to reach for anything during an evacuation, since they are already on me. I definitely wouldn't want to rely solely on my iPhone's power, though it might be useful for communications.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Are you flying economy or something else? If in economy, do you have one of the first or one of the last seat assignment, can you upgrade using frequent flyers miles?

When you are boarding if you see that people in front of you are forced to check, even carry on size luggage, take out one of the shop bag and place the items you simply must have with you to make your vacation enjoyable.

If you can keep your Aeronaute with you, consider doing that when get to your seat.

June is the time when weather delays, overbooked flights and ultra busy airports start piling up.

While there is less chance of being stuck in the tarmac, you could be stuck at the gate if the departure queue gets delayed or, if there is a mechanical problem or, the crew must be replaced because they have mandatory rest periods.

I copied and pasted from your list, the items I thing must be kept within reach at all time.

Passport wallet
    Copy of passport

Passport
    Print outs of everything (flights, hotels, tickets)

Torch

Shard tool

Headache tablets
    Berocca tablets
    Hydration tablets
    Multivitamin
    Cold and flu vitamins
    Buscopan

MacBook air or iPad

Camera

Phone charger
    Computer charger
    Camera charger

1 x shopping bag

Drink bottle

AUS to US power convertor plug

Where in the U.S are you going? There is a wide range of weather, disasters prone areas and places one should consider skipping.

I have a Guardian Light and a whistle from Tom Bihn.

They are always within reach, on a lanyard that goes over the neck, I wear it when there is severe storms warning.

During a hot but peaceful evening, a sudden tornado warning siren, caught me off guard inside my hotel room. When subsequent evacuation announcements were relayed via the speaker system, by security personel, I grabbed my Synapse and Small Cafe Bag, put my shoes on and wore the Guardian Light and Tom Bihn whistle around my neck.

I would love it, if TB Inc was offering the V.I.P Guardian Light!
    Last edited by backpack; 05-22-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Neat! I'm all about the tiny-tiny lights, because I can keep them with me all the time, but this looks like a very useful light for camping, or a situation like an extended power outage.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    What is a shard tool please?
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1400783555940.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  11.1 KB

The Gerber Shard keychain tool is the perfect companion when you want just the basics. With a shape of its own, the Shard has seven useful functions: small flat driver, medium flat driver, cross driver, pry bar, wire stripper, lanyard hole, and bottle opener. It is light enough to carry on your keychain, but tough and durable enough for everyday use. The Shard is made of stainless steel with a titanium coating, and it measures 2.75 inches. It's backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Moose and grifter like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0