Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 3 weeks across USA in JUNE

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Actually, in the event of ANY kind of emergency, I would want my flashlight with me. A powerful, long-lasting one with the option to display a distress signal that would keep going for a day or two in the event that I became unconscious. I keep the Photon X-Micro Freedom Light and a Four Sevens Mini ML (both quite small) in my Side Effect, which stays on my body at all times, including take-off and landing. I wouldn't have to reach for anything during an evacuation, since they are already on me. I definitely wouldn't want to rely solely on my iPhone's power, though it might be useful for communications.
    Good choice. I like the that form factor, too. My order was placed through Four Sevens, but it was a custom neutral white production run done through the CandlePower forums, so I couldn't actually link to that product on the Four Sevens site, and tried to find an equivalent product match at Amazon.

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

You may want to purchase some toiletries in the US, especially for a 3 week trip, unless you're going to be traveling a lot by plane. I have very sensitive skin and often cannot use the products provided by hotels because they have such strong smells. Also, I still find hotels that do not provide lotion/moisturizer (another example of hotels catering to male business travelers). In my experience, only Hyatt hotels provide toothpaste.

I'm currently in China and am very glad that I brought my own soap/shampoo bar and moisturizer. While there is a body wash/shampoo dispenser in the shower in my hotel room, it has been empty since the day I arrived (9 days ago).

As mentioned above, June is severe weather season east of the Rocky Mountains. Just pay attention to your surroundings and if there is a tornado warning (unlikely, but possible depending on where you are traveling), make sure to find a safe place. A basement is best, but an interior room with no windows (preferably near the ground floor) is second best. Also, the US has lots of lightning and many people do not give it the respect it deserves.

HA HA!!! My question as to why bring a "torch" was from my overly Americanized brain. In my mind, "torch" is a large industrial flashlight, like a Stinger or MagLite; something I order frequently for our public safety employees. These things can be used as a weapon! My brain completely forgot that it could also mean a small personal light!!

One bag travel has "dual function for every item packed" so ingrained into my mind that here I was thinking @Grifter was wanting to bring a torch for both a lighting emergency and as a way to protect himself from being attacked! That started me thinking, "geez, what cities is he visiting that he needs one."

[see me now as I turn pink with embarrassment]
    Last edited by Melissa; 05-23-2014 at 05:23 AM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    @eWalker
    That's a pretty powerful light!
    However, if you are planning to get it, I strongly suggest NOT using it as an interior bag light.
    Especially if your bag has a Solar interior. :P
    Trust me, I found out the hard way >.<"
    @icebeng Where did you buy yours? I am looking for an online store that will ship it overseas!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Wow, thanks for all the top replies!

Some super useful stuff in here.

And yes, be "thongs" I mean flip-flops!

And by "torch", I meant a small little pocket version, not a big stick with cloth wrapped around one end!

Lush shampoo bar - this looks great. Will definitely get.

Does everyone think the SHARD TOOL would be cool on my carry on?
    Last edited by grifter; 05-25-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

Gee
    Grifter, I find the easiest way to bring something like the Shard tool through security is on a keyring with keys (if you carry them).

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @icebeng Where did you buy yours? I am looking for an online store that will ship it overseas!
    I got mine from eBay, seller gave me one as a free gift

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Grifter, I find the easiest way to bring something like the Shard tool through security is on a keyring with keys (if you carry them).
    Has security relaxed any? I just avoid bringing metal stuff, especially pointy ones on my carry-on. I still see people arguing with security occasionally - "it's a plaque remover! I'm not going to stab anyone with it!" "That's a spork! You can barely scratch someone with this, let alone kill!"
    eWalker likes this.

Gee
    Icebeng I have seen the same and like you I choose not to carry anything which will start those arguments, the game has changed in the last 10 years. If you do carry something like that a keyring helps to group the metal item rather than stand out alone. I wouldn't carry it personally, the utility doesn't outweigh the hassle - for me.

Perhaps this adaptor can consolidate the camera/phone/iPad chargers... 4 USB outlets suitable for USA

Korjo - USB x4 Power Hub (USB04)

Available at officeworks, strandbags, bunnings. Or online of course

I had TSA opening my bag because some metal tweezers were lying on top of a metal fingernail file in my (non-liquids) kit, and they couldn't tell what it was on the X-ray. They told me that it would be better to pack them in the 3-1-1 bag, or at least separately. So probably the tool + keys visible in the tray would be better than packed in a bag.
    SusanM likes this.

Thanks. I'll leave the shard tool at home then, not worth the hassle.

Lightbulb Mini Maglite LED Pro flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    A powerful, long-lasting [flashlight]...
    The Mini Maglite LED Pro does the "powerful" part (see my review), but only has two or three hours of light. But oh! what light!
    eWalker likes this.
    "...a fellow widely considered a half bubble off plumb gets out of much tedious explanation."
    óWilliam Least Heat Moon in PrairyErth

I've flown with a Shard many times with no problems ever.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Other option for a small flash light is the Fenix E12. It has 3 brightness levels (8 lumens to 130 lumens). It takes a "AA" battery. I use my flashlights all the time, night dog walks (it's way cooler then when you live in SE New Mexico!). And I have their E01 for my key chain, not as powerful, but both are affordable and will last a while.
    taminca likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0