Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Do you take any extravagances?

Do you take any extravagances?

After reading Frank II's interview over at Carryology I got curious...

What do you take with you when you travel that will make them feel more at home?
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 16 days to go!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    After reading Frank II's interview over at Carryology I got curious...

What do you take with you when you travel that will make them feel more at home?
    @eWalker and others, Take a look at Lani's What is the *ONE* "unusual" item you always travel with? thread.

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

That thread prompted me to buy Salux towels, and convinced me to obsessively check these forums for great ideas.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Usually my big Acorn slippers if there's room, always Starbucks Vias (I like intensely strong coffee). The last few trips one of our little grandsons has offered his miniature stuffed bald eagle so we won't be lonely for him. We then take pictures along the way and send to him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Hmmm, when I traveled weekly for business, I used to take along a small picture frame (faux leather/clear plastic, so it wouldn't break), and set it up in my hotel room. Nowadays, I'm usually with my family when I travel, so I don't need photos.

Indulgent thing I take: I like a big wool shawl (pashmina-style), it's like a blankie.

Unusual things I pack: a Christmas-tree wreath door hook, and bright nylon laundry bags. I put the hook over the bathroom door (there are never enough hooks, especially when we are someplace where swimsuits & towels are involved) and hang the laundry bags up to corral dirty clothes without leaving them on the floor. Last trip, I also found some reusable hooks (Gecko Hooks, I think the brand was) at the Container Store - those can go on the interior wall of the shower stall, or on tile walls, and add even more hook space for dripping or damp things.

Depending on where we're going, I might bring some nice packets of tea, and/or instant oatmeal for the kids. If we're staying in a hotel, there's usually hot water available (coffee maker or in the breakfast room), so we can get half the family fed while others get ready for the day.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    That thread prompted me to buy Salux towels, and convinced me to obsessively check these forums for great ideas.
    @midnite I should probably also refer people to the All Inclusive List of Tips for Ultralight Packing thread, too. It's not about items that make you "feel more at home", but it's one of the threads where @Ms. Ferret includes her (independent) recommendations for the Salux wash cloths (and other items). By the way, if anyone is traveling around Hawaii, you can pick these up locally (at grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.) for less than the various online prices I've seen linked, although the cheapest I've seen is when Long's Drugs occasionally puts them on sale at 2 for $5.

@monkeylady The stuffed bald eagle is much cuter than Flat Stanley. And is that a Tom Bihn Luggage Tag attached to your bag?
    eWalker likes this.

My indulgences are a microfibre hair turban and lightweight slippers, for a touch of after-shower luxury, and teabags - I'm currently into Japanese tea, and enjoy a cup of hojicha to relax with, though it's not quite the same without my Japanese stoneware cups
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

@moriond, Sadly no, that is not a TB luggage tag. I wish.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Some might regard my shower gel as an extravagance - I never use supplies hotel toiletries but always carry some L'Occitane verbena shower gel with me. It suits my skin and is quite concentrated so I don't have to use much. On the downside it isn't the least expensive shower gel on the market...
    A45 crimson/steel; TS navy/solar; S19 nordic/steel; P nordic/solar; CP black/steel; SE wasabi; CQPC iberian, solar; Ri aubergine/steel; 3DCC cardinal; TSS4 wasabi; K cardinal; TT solar,nordic,black; CC cardinal/steel; PCBP solar; PP navy; + packing cubes galore!

I always have my coffee kit and a stitching project with me. They are part of my everyday bag too.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I have ulnar neuropathy, so I have to sleep with my right arm straight. The doc gave me a horrible brace, but I found that if I wedge a stuffed animal up against the curb of elbow I tend to keep it straight all night and it's more comfy than the brace. So I always travel with a. Mini pillow pet, the shark, because it's a comfy sorta wedge shape. My shark's name is Sharky and when they recently discontinued making the shark I bought a second one for travel because it fits so well. So Sharky or Sharky Jr tends to travel with me. That's my indulgence.

If I'm traveling sans spouse, I bring one of his ceramic mugs - he's a potter. It doesn't take up much room when stuffed with socks and wrapped in a t-shirt and it's worth the tiny bit of extra weight to have that bit of home every night with my Sleepytime tea (which is the second extravagance, I suppose, since I carry a travel tin of teabags as well).

I take shower flip flops and a micro towel. I don't like using towels at public places. Think I'm liking this new towel better than the Absorber (auto parts places) that I used for years now. The Absorber is smooth but hardens once it dries so you have to put it away while it is still damp. This mutli-towel is more like a big towel so it dries floppy overnight and exfoliates better than the Absorber. May move up to the next size if it will fit in my toiletries bag.
    REI MultiTowel Small Towel - 14" x 10" at REI.com

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @eWalker and others, Take a look at Lani's What is the *ONE* "unusual" item you always travel with? thread.

moriond
    I guess now we covered all non specific lists:

. Most unusual items
    . Every Travel Carry
    . Home Out of Home

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 16 days to go!!

i carry a "head rag" on all my travels, woodsy or urban but i consider it a necessity, though it may be odd to some. i have made several out of various weights of synthetic baselayer material. some are more scarf like, some shaped more like a large bandanna. all can serve the same purposes. i am all but bald and my head gets cold at times while trying to go to sleep. these are just enough of a cover to keep my noggin warm. or i use them for an eye shade if napping in a bright area. or i can actually use them as scarves. or i can use them to dry off since they are all the sweat wicking stuff. or a sniper veil. or a cravat for 1st aid. suppose i could even tie one to the end of a stick if i needed to hobo it.

i equate it to the concept of a towel in "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy".
    Towel - Hitchhikers
    Last edited by trailmix; 05-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    haraya likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0