Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Academic Bihnites

I'm at a conference in Seville right now. I brought a Tristar as my main bag for clothing and sundries (I'll be traveling and lecturing for about a week and a bit after this conference). My conference bag is also my personal item--the Imago. It easily swallows what I need during the day--my computer, some paper, a hard copy of my presentation (the day I present), the conference program, water bottle, and miscellaneous stuff--and the Absolute Strap means it feels light and easy on the shoulder. I've also used a LCB as my conference bag--I agree that conference bags these days are tacky and often nasty--it's so much nicer to have a Tom Bihn bag instead!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Synapse 25 unless I'm traveling very light. Then, it's the co-pilot.

Volunteer Moderator

Tom Bihn bags reviewed in the Chronicle of Higher Education

Hi All,

Thought I would revive this thread by giving a link to the ProfHacker blog posting on Tom Bihn’s Travel Bags for Conference Travel at the Chronicle for Higher Education, although I think the reviewer needs to do some more practice packing to hone his one-bag packing skills.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi All,

Thought I would revive this thread by giving a link to the ProfHacker blog posting on Tom Bihn’s Travel Bags for Conference Travel at the Chronicle for Higher Education, although I think the reviewer needs to do some more practice packing to hone his one-bag packing skills.

moriond
    Wonderful website! Thanks for sharing

Nice to see a shout out for Tom Bihn in the Chronicle. But I have to say, having just gotten back from a two and a half day academic conference/lecture trip to Spain and Portugal with my Tristar, it's hard for me to relate to thinking of it as a 2 or 3 day bag. ;-)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

"The Tri-Star is best suited for 2 days worth of clothing (perhaps 3 if the weather is warm)" - is this guy especially tall or something? How many sweaters do you need to pack for a 2-day trip? The mind boggles

That said, if he's taking running gear in addition to regular clothes, the shoes alone are going to eat up space. My DH has far more clothes than me since he took up running + cycling + swimming!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I know I'm a bit late to the "dance", but will share my two cents... The best day bag for me is the Pilot. It's truly amazing the amount of stuff it can carry. I have packed in the main compartment a MacBook Air 11 in its TB Cache, an iPad in a sleeve, plus 40 9-page presentation brochures!! I only travel with my MBA 11 when there are important soccer games during the week (or weekend, if the conference is longer) that will not be televised (gotta love those "pirate" sites ) and I can not miss. Truly can't live without soccer!

As for note taking, I can not recommend enough the Livescribe 3 pens, that is what I use.

Hope this helps someone!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    As for note taking, I can not recommend enough the Livescribe 3 pens, that is what I use.
    Another vote for the LiveScribe - I was sent an Echo to review on my website (blogger freebies FTW!) and now use it daily at work.

I also agree that the Pilot is a great (and maybe under-appreciated*) bag - it's incredibly versatile!

* I'm planning on making up for this a little by blogging a review
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

It seems like the TS usually works for 1 bag for a conference of normal length, even with some days tacked on the end (~1 week or so.) I just got (and loved) the LCB for a packable day bag for conferences. If I need more stuff (nicer camera, more variety of clothing, etc.), I add my Pilot for 1+1 travel, and that works nicely, too. I can't imagine carrying much more than a TS+Pilot at this point, unless I had some very specific needs.

My conferences, however, tend to skew pretty casual and are generally only 3-5 days.
    nsh and eWalker like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0