Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: ETC - Every Travel Carry

ETC - Every Travel Carry

After using the Aeronaut for years without packing organizers/cubes or other structured method of organization, I am now collecting a plethora of options of cubes, pouches, sacks & pockets,and I have turned packing into a mix of tetris game with combinatorics.

When I first started reading the TB site, I was considering a Aeronaut substitute, but changed my mind to stick with the Aeronaut and add organization. My worries have increased because now I will be buying not only for me, but also for my travel companions, so I considering various needs and yet have to come up with a common denominator to assemble an organizer Travel set.

Yup! Everybody is going to travel with Aeronauts!

So, I would like to ask you, what are the organizers you take no matter what is your destination or length of travel? And for what?
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

ETC - Every Travel Carry

- Aeronaut packing cubes for clothes - I can usually get by with two smalls but sometimes pull out the large.

- Aeronaut all-fabric end-pocket packing cube for shoes

- 3D clear org cube - one for toiletries and another for chargers/power cables/tech stuff

- Side Effect with clear org wallet, Kindle, notebook, pen, cards, cash, passport, and travel documents

- small or medium yarn stuff sack with a knitting project and a mini clear org pouch with tools

- yarn stuff sack used as a travel tray, for odds and ends on the bedside table

Huh. I hadn't really noticed how much TB stuff has worked its way into my travels.
    eWalker likes this.

I don't think you can come up with a one size fits all approach to finding the perfect travel set for others. Granted, I believe any packing organization tool you get would be immensely better than none at all -- but that's because I'm a Type A sort.

I have so many Eagle Creek Pack-It cubes that I can't justify purchasing TB ones, but I think of all my travel bags (suitcases, duffels, backpacks) as being able to hold X amount of large EC cubes and/or Y amount half cubes. This helps me immensely when packing. For example, I have a duffel that has near identical exterior dimensions as the Aeronaut 30. I can fit 6 half cubes or 3 large cubes + 1 half cube in it (or any other permutation you can think of with those two configurations). Then I think about the size of things I'm bringing in relation to my packing cubes and I'm then better able to "tetris" pack them. For example, my toiletries bag is slightly larger than one EC cube, my 311 bag is about half the size of a half cube, my pouch that fits my portable speaker + all my chargers is also 1/2 size of a half cube, my clothes are generally 1 cube, any extra shoes I bring take up the space of a half cube, etc. This is why I don't think there is a "perfect" set because my needs change for every trip I take.

As for TB stuff, I did recently purchase a Side Effect to use as purse-like organizer within other bags I may use for travel. I am also very close to purchasing a Travel Tray. I generally put and keep all my stuff on a desk or table at my destination, but it would be nice to know everything really is in one spot and I don't have to double or triple check that I haven't left something small behind. And if I didn't have a perfectly serviceable 311 bag, I'd get a 3D clear organizer cube. And stuff sacks are not something I'd think I'd need but would probably find some pretty good uses for them once I had them.
    eWalker likes this.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

I'm new to TB and packing cubes, but I've long carried my smaller items in a random selection of bags and pouches (usually freebies given away with cosmetic gift sets). I've been switching these latter over to TB products for their superior quality, though!

Things I take everywhere:

* Small clear OP filled with basic meds (painkillers, antacids, throat lozenges), band-aids, individually wrapped antiseptic wipes, insect bite "pen" (I hate itchy bites!) - all the little things that I hope not to need but will reduce emergency trips to the pharmacy

* At least one clear 3DOP for toiletries, more likely two - but that's because I like to carry my usual skincare regime as well as essentials such as lens solution and toothbrush!

* Clear organiser wallet for carrying credit card and most of my cash - I love that it can be clipped inside another bag, making it harder to lose (or be pickpocketed)

* Small stuff sack containing iPhone/iPad charger unit, lightning cable and mini-USB cable (the latter for my iPad keyboard and/or Kobo ereader - not often needed but nice to have)

* Travel tray - I'm a recent convert to this and love it!

* If flying, I now always take a couple of double carabiners so I can rig up a seat-back bag of some kind - again, a new technique to me, but one I've found so, so useful!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

JLE
    Here's my standard list of cubes etc for travel:

Mesh 3D cube for tech accessories (chargers, adaptors, cables, flash drive, plus a mini torch)
    Iff I am taking my laptop, 2nd mesh cube for its cables etc, and small dyneema OP for my external hard drive
    Dyneema Side Effect for "dry" toiletries (the various pockets give just the right amount of organisation)
    Mini dyneema OP for first aid/meds
    Medium dyneema OP for travel docs and other papers I might need en route
    RFID pouch if passport required
    Large travel stuff sack just in case

I mostly use the WF packing cubes - one large for clothes and one small for underwear, sleepwear, workout gear. If I'm travelling with my Aeronaut I use one large and one small Aeronaut cube, but I am not such a fan of the size and dimensions of these. The WF cubes are "juuuuust right!"

The size and number of the following expand and contract depending on trip length, destination and climate, and trip objective:

* Packing cubes. Despite a lot of travel, these don't seem to get a lot of wear and tear, so I look for bargains. I bought a set (3 sizes) of eBag cubes last year, and these seem fine. I also got a small set of Eagle Creek cubes (med. and small) in the bargain bin somewhere. I never use all at one time since I cube and bundle pack.

* Tom Bihn travel tray. In my carry on or smaller bag as a container for pocket contents before going through security. In a drawer at the hotel for daily pocket dump.

* Smaller zipped cubes and cases. Again, I'm always experimenting with the best combos. These range from some very lightweight zipped cubes I got at a Japanese store in NYC (a chain that carries cool office supplies & travel gear; I can't remember the name) to my kids' discarded soft pencil cases. The latter work well for office gear and small tools, and for cables. Small cubes work for everything.

* Small stuff bag for running shoes. I've a couple that were freebies.

* Tom Bihn small clear organizer for my liquids if I head to the US. If I stay in the region (Central America), I just use a small toiletries bag from REI. Security is not so A-retentive here; they just look at the scanner images and if anything looks big or weird, then you need to take it out.

* TB Brain Bag and Braincell if I am checking my main bag (depends on my carry; sometimes I need to take along field clothes and documents so I just check a rollerboard rather than schlep the stuff around the airport). If I am going with my Aeronaut, then the Brain Bag is too big to manage and I use a Synapse 19 or even a shoulder bag or briefcase.

I just did an inventory and I realized I have about six of those small zippered bags that airlines give you when you fly international business class. Or that more classier airlines still give you for long trips. You know, the ones with the earplugs, small tubes of toothpaste and similar items. I'm going to be testing these as part of my ETC. Some are decently constructed.

While I love TB stuff, I can't justify spending money on TB's indestructible stuff if there are cheaper or free alternatives. (Am I allowed to say that here? Heresy!!) I travel 30-40% of the time internationally for business, often to rural areas, and stuff can get easily forgotten or even "borrowed". I once left my travel tray in a hotel room when I checked out, which required a panicky trip back before heading to the airport. The maids were already discussing who would keep it, although they had no idea what it was for. Weird looks from my travel mates. I probably wouldn't have felt as bad about leaving behind a freebie stuff sack or complimentary airline travel kit bag, but TB stuff...that's hard earned and sacred!

I have some TB pouches but the ones from home depot are much cheaper for the 3 different size 3-pack and really durable, They just don't have color selection. I normally keep an event thumbdrive/mp3 player with cord in a single small pouch so it is easier to find. One pouch/player for different events I regularly travel to and listen to different music on the way. If I take extra shoes, I always slip them in a plastic bag for each one. Shoving two shoes together in one bag is going to eat precious space but separately, they can use up any crevice that is left. Plus if they get dirty, just change out the plastic bags for the next trip!

I always take my standard toiletries eagle creek long packing cube. I just found I prefer it over a standard toiletries bag and I fill it up. For the zipper foldover hanging toiletries bags, I find that there is always extra room in them that could be used elsewhere in the luggage. One of my main packing cubes is the TB cube/backpack that I bundle into for travel then use it in backpack mode going into port on cruises.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdivcr View Post
    I once left my travel tray in a hotel room when I checked out, which required a panicky trip back before heading to the airport. The maids were already discussing who would keep it, although they had no idea what it was for.
    IKWYM - I left my iPhone charger at a hotel last year and when I emailed them, they claimed it had not been found - I strongly suspect that a staff member helped themselves to it! Ever since then I've been extra-careful to scour the room for my belongings.

In addition to my TB accessories, I have a set of small mesh cubes from Travelon that are handy for random items. One is the perfect size for my waterproof jacket (it came in a bag, but the cube is more space-efficient), and another holds my long-haul flight stuff: an inflatable neck pillow, sleep mask and ear plugs.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

If the hotel found your iPhone charger, it's very wrong to claim it was missing. Phone chargers are the most often left behind items at hotels. (There's a reason the airport is filled with options for picking up a spare) I know colleagues who left theirs at home and when they asked the front desk if they could help, were presented with a large box of chargers to choose from.

Thanks a lot, from your replies and other posts, I ended up ordering 58 items from TB and only two of then were bags!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    I don't think you can come up with a one size fits all approach to finding the perfect travel set for others. Granted, I believe any packing organization tool you get would be immensely better than none at all -- but that's because I'm a Type A sort.
    I agree with you a 100%. I ended up making two lists, one of for essentials for everyone and another for me.

For myself, I first decided on a color theme that would work out in a shared space environment. I thought, first of color coding to help locating contents, but soon realized that would become a colorful mess! So I decided to make it simple... all packing organizers either wasabi or kiwi. My bags lining is steel so it will look great! So my room mate may mix and match all and any other colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    - Aeronaut packing cubes for clothes - I can usually get by with two smalls but sometimes pull out the large.
    - Aeronaut all-fabric end-pocket packing cube for shoes
    - 3D clear org cube - one for toiletries and another for chargers/power cables/tech stuff
    - Side Effect with clear org wallet, Kindle, notebook, pen, cards, cash, passport, and travel documents
    - small or medium yarn stuff sack with a knitting project and a mini clear org pouch with tools
    - yarn stuff sack used as a travel tray, for odds and ends on the bedside table
    Almost the same choices here...

- Aeronaut All Fabric End pocket cube for shoes
    - Side Effect as "a catch all loose stuff" = organizer wallet (money + credit cards), size 2 knitting tool pouch (writing material + post it), etc.
    - 3d clear cube for toiletries

And thanks to you post I added the small Yarn sack as a bed side tray!
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    * If flying, I now always take a couple of double carabiners so I can rig up a seat-back bag of some kind - again, a new technique to me, but one I've found so, so useful!
    Loved the idea too, that made me add a PCSB + Double Carabiners to my list... (Canīt find the link to original post on BSB...)
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    * Small clear OP filled with basic meds (painkillers, antacids, throat lozenges), band-aids, individually wrapped antiseptic wipes, insect bite "pen" (I hate itchy bites!) - all the little things that I hope not to need but will reduce emergency trips to the pharmacy
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Mesh 3D cube for tech accessories (chargers, adaptors, cables, flash drive, plus a mini torch)
    Since I used the clear 3D cube for toiletries, I used an all fabric 3D cube for meds and a mesh 3D cube for all tech stuff except for the cables that I plan to tie with Strapeez and put in a size 1 TSS.
    * Tom Bihn travel tray. In my carry on or smaller bag as a container for pocket contents before going through security. In a drawer at the hotel for daily pocket dump.
    I couldnīt choose between a small yarn sack and the proper travel tray, so I added both. I sure it will have good use!
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    One of my main packing cubes is the TB cube/backpack that I bundle into for travel then use it in backpack mode going into port on cruises.
    I added an Aeronaut PCBP for additional benefit of the light weight daybag. Enable points to @moriond for that!
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    If I take extra shoes, I always slip them in a plastic bag for each one. Shoving two shoes together in one bag is going to eat precious space but separately, they can use up any crevice that is left. Plus if they get dirty, just change out the plastic bags for the next trip!
    I am going to try this!

Besides that I added a size 4 TSS for laundry ( thanks to @dwright17 thread), a Guardian Light and a DOP (thanks to @taminca photos on @maverick thread.

Thanks you all!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-17-2014 at 04:58 PM.

These range from some very lightweight zipped cubes I got at a Japanese store in NYC (a chain that carries cool office supplies & travel gear; I can't remember the name) to my kids' discarded soft pencil cases.
    @tdivcr, the store you are referring to is Muji.
    eWalker likes this.

I always travel with my 3D Organizer Cube for 311 items and a matching long key strap as a handle. Most recently I've been using a Organizer Cube for non 311 items and another long key strap as a handle.

I always have a cube for socks, underware and the odd bit that never finds another home. I also have a mesh zipper bag in the packing cube too.

I have a 15 inch Eagle Creek (until TB makes us one) garment folder. I use this to fold Tshirts which generally go in a packing cube. I put blouses and sometimes pants in the garment folder.

I also always have my Side Effect as a catch all for passport, boarding passes, wallet and to catch the stray stuff, change, papers and so on.

I was using a pouch for electronic chargers, cables and cords but I've found a small stuff sack works better for me.

I also take a small pouch for receipts that I'll need when I get home.

That's about all I use every time. I always have a plastic bag for dirty laundry too, but that's non TB. A stuff sack might work for that.

Please let us know what you decide.
    Moose
    eWalker likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    @tdivcr, the store you are referring to is Muji.
    Thanks Ginko. Muji is the place. Fun stuff. The cube I use is the small Foldable Mesh Garment Bag. Lighter weight than TB stuff, but does the trick.

ewalker, 58 pieces, OMG TB heaven! Could we please have unboxing pictures? Pretty please?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    ewalker, 58 pieces, OMG TB heaven! Could we please have unboxing pictures? Pretty please?
    Moose
    Sure, but you will have to be patient... My order will only ship in July!

My friends see green and think of grass and the world cup, I see green and think of wasabi and Tom Bihn bags!

Canīt wait for this world cup to end!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0