Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 2 weeks in Italy - planned list, feedback requested

People of Medium or smaller sizes can easily shop in Europe.

Women can even score cuter foundation garments than in the U.S.

One can take the most threadbare foundation garments and loose them along the way to replace them with lovely finds.

Scarves, crushable hats, knitted items and accessories are must buy there and they make great souvenirs taking care of the retail therapy, wardrobe upgrade and gifts in one swoop.

Trying on clothes is also a great way to find out the impact of all the gourmet fare on the waistline but usually Americans loose weight in Europe.

As in many healthy areas of the U.S, people walk, take public transportation and bike all the time, using the great cuisine to build muscles and good looks, kind of like The Crew!
    Last edited by backpack; 04-17-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Not understanding your itinerary, I am hoping that the majority if your wardrobe dries overnight if you have to launder yourself...
    We are staying in hotels from 2-4 nights so not a lot of moving around but we are making sure all our stuff dries quickly.

Not much to add but your plan sounds good!! Lighter is def better. You can buy anything you need in just about every city you will visit, but I can totally understand not wanting to bother with trying to hunt things down when you have all the gorgeous sights and sounds (and food and wine!!) of Italy around you! Buon viaggio!!

Packing light is definitely a process. You are making a good start. I love taking only what i need and having room for shopping. I always buy bras at dedicated lingerie shops in Europe - beautiful and the salespeople actually know how to fit.

If you go to only one church in Rome, choose Santa Prassede near Santa Maria Majore. It was built in c7 and has spectacular mosaics. It is also small and quiet - a treat in busy Rome.

Gelateria Fassi on Principe Eugenio has delicious gelato with large servings. The sign is not obvious but the streams of people leaving there with their gelato are! We had nothing but gelato there for supper one evening and enjoyed watching the families and groups of friends come and go. Enjoy! I am envious.

Ditto on Santa Prassede! I was writing about those mosaics this week. I bought a 1/3" stack of postcards from the shop, and the man at the counter gave me a funny look. I nodded sweetly, then asked for the basilica guidebook, too.

Thanks for the church tip. Rick Steves has some excellent videos online of his show in both Rome and Naples/Amalfi. He mentions both on those videos and in his books about going into various churches just to look.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    There was a fun department store (Upim?) across the street from Santa Maria Maggiore that had great scarves and fun clothes. Pack light, and shop there if you need to? I never got to the GABS Gabrieli store - wanted to see the bags that fold and morph. Guess that means another trip to Rome sometime.
    Thank you for mentioning this company briefly. I'd never seen their bags before and I've been looking for a tote with shoulder strap similar to Longchamp Pilage or Planetes Silhouette but with a shoulder strap. The leather le cuir is just a bit too floppy for my taste and the Gabs C3 might be exactly what I'm looking for. I hope the shops are open after Ferriogosto in August because I'll be making a bee-line when I arrive in Italy. Useful and innovative things are one of my favorite kinds of souvenirs!

Collections Gabs - I Love Change

Until the trip, I'll be window shopping on their youTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/GABSFirenze

I'm in Rome now. It is awesome so far. I will check out the department store. Those Gabs bags look interesting but I am guessing they only come in leather. I like bags and purses... A lot but the prevalence of leather means I probably won't buy one here. I have other trinkets though in mind.

I did not get to the Gabs store when I was in Rome, and I really really regret it. The bags come in leather, cloth, nylon. It's hard to find Gabs in the US, except on Yoox or ebay. Their bags convert into all sorts of interesting and useful shapes (and they pack flat). If you get to the store - please check in! I have a nylon medium G3. great bag. It's almost as useful as the Side Effect. ;-)

LOL you hubby is going to look like Walter White getting on the plane, i.e.: no pants, just underwear, sock and sneakers, sorry just haven fun. have a great trip cheers

klb
    I loved this thread because I am visiting Italy in Sept for two weeks. Can you tell me how your trip went with your packing list? Did you feel like to forgot anything or took too much? Also, what were your favorite sites in the cities that you visited?? Details please!!!

klb
    Hi Leena! I am going to Italy in Sept. I would like to know how your trip went. Did you use everything that you packed?? I am going to try to use my Aeronaut for that trip (2 weeks) but want to know how it went for you!
    Also, what were your favorite sites in Italy??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0