Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 2 weeks in Italy - planned list, feedback requested

I have to say you guys are awesome Thanks so much for all the advice.

Going to Italy has been a dream of mine for a long time but for various reasons, other trips took priority. I remember being in Greece and then in Switzerland and feeling like I could almost touch it. Then we sort of booked the trip on a whim a few weeks ago and I almost felt like I didn't have enough time to prepare. Then I read a suggestion to travel light, with something you can carry easily and decided to go with it but then I realized I had no idea how to travel light. I'm feeling better now though.
    Last edited by Leena; 04-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.

Stretch pants/tights are standard daily wear there.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Well.. I'm not much of a stretch pants/tights person at home unless it is for the gym. I don't have enough tunics that would be appropriate for such wear. I will make sure to keep the yoga pants on the list though just in case. Plus might be useful for the day we go to Mt. Vesuvius.

Fun! I hope you have a great time!

I agree with the other suggestions to narrow your clothing selection, but I'm not sure how much you should remove. What are you going to do in Italy? Staying in one place or moving around a lot? Do you have fancy dinners or events to go to?

I'm trying to picture your bag situation. What do you mean by "(packed)" and "(packed until in plane)"?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

No fancy dinners but I do plan to go to one nice restaurant in Rome which is why I'd like something a bit nicer. We are staying at 4 different hotels on the trip, mostly a lot of walking, some light hiking, regular tourist stuff.

And "packed" just means it is something I want to use on our trip but don't need until we get there so I want it in the luggage. For the backpack, I want to put that under our seats so that it has things easily accessible so I will put it into the Aeronaut until we are about to board.

And this morning my husband agreed to get a second kindle so that we won't have to carry around books! That is always the bane of our carry-ons with him carrying his various books.

For the toilet-paper: I always have a packet of tishus (?) (I mean one juse handkerchief in a small pack). They are for all kinds of emergencies and do double as toilet-paper at times.

Ilkyway
    (In Germany its the restrooms on the highways often without toilet-paper)

Same here - just about anywhere you go, there's a chance you'll find yourself in a stall that's just run out of TP. Tissues are your friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

We were in ROme at the end of March, and it was often sunny and mild. Short sleeved shirts and a light cotton knit jacket were what I wore, when it wasn't raining. Couldn't stand to wear long-sleeve tops. (Yes for sure take a light umbrella, or buy an overpriced one there.) It wasn't cold at night.

Ditto the advice on the Kleenex. None to be found in hotel rooms, and many stalls seemed to run out of TP. Rick Steves was a good guide for Rome - I ripped out the sections I knew we wouldn't use, to lighten that book. Except for RS in paper, you could probably depend on your Kindle rather than other books.

There was a fun department store (Upim?) across the street from Santa Maria Maggiore that had great scarves and fun clothes. Pack light, and shop there if you need to? I never got to the GABS Gabrieli store - wanted to see the bags that fold and morph. Guess that means another trip to Rome sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    And "packed" just means it is something I want to use on our trip but don't need until we get there so I want it in the luggage. For the backpack, I want to put that under our seats so that it has things easily accessible so I will put it into the Aeronaut until we are about to board.
    Hey Leena, just popping back to ask you: have you tried test-packing your Aeronaut with your stuff and then adding a semi-loaded S25? I can tell you that an empty S25 will take up substantial room in an Aeronaut, so unless your airline is super-strict about one bag only (and I don't think United is for international flights), you might just want to wear the S25 and carry the Aeronaut with the Absolute Strap. By distributing the weight you shouldn't have any trouble carrying the Aeronaut by hand.

Also, if you end up deciding to check your Aeronaut on the way home, there is a service at FCO I highly recommend. Before you check in, you can go to a kiosk where they'll wrap your bag in extra-thick plastic wrap. It does wonders to keep contents inside the bag and will also protect the bag's handles from getting snagged on conveyor belts and the like. It's just a couple Euro, if I recall correctly, and worth it to my mind.

Great list! I just got back from Israel and have a few lessons I learned from that trip.

1 - I didn't notice a sink stopper on your list. My sink didn't have a stopper and I tried to be creative to stop the drain so I could wash in the sink, but it was a pain. I think that'd be a great addition.

2 - I know many folks here go by the rule of 3, but for me, I needed more tops (it was a study tour and we went for twelve hours straight each day). I actually took 6 tops - four short sleeve and two long sleeve, and it was perfect. I needed two shirts a day due to the heat - one for touring all day, and another outfit for dinner and evening classes. I took three pants, one shirt and one pair of yoga pants. I could have gone without the skirt or the yoga pants, as I used one or the other as mainly the outfit on the plane or just being in the room with my roommate. I probably could've gone with three total pants, but I was grateful to go longer without washing every other night. The way our room was configured, we had almost no space between the ceiling and shower rod, and a very narrow window, so hanging things to dry was a creative task as well.

3 - I was very grateful to take my Aeronaut only half packed so that I had room for souvenirs. My bag weighed 15 pounds going and 22 coming home (many paper materials handed out in class, sadly!). One person suggested (after I left) packing a smaller duffel in the bottom of the Aeronaut for souvenirs. While I had no trouble on this trip because I shipped some things to family across the country, I plan to do that on my next trip. You could pack all your dirty laundry and non-breakables in one bag and check it, and use the other bag to carry breakables and valuables with you on the plane.

I hope this helps!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Yes, definitely a sink stopper. I take the large flat one that fits over all kinds of sink drains. Also a washcloth or whatever you use to wash yourself as they don't supply anything but towels. I also take several ziploc bags for damp or messy things or to compress clothes if i need to. Amazing how we think of things as we go along and one idea triggers another. Good idea asking 2 weeks ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hey Leena, just popping back to ask you: have you tried test-packing your Aeronaut with your stuff and then adding a semi-loaded S25? I can tell you that an empty S25 will take up substantial room in an Aeronaut, so unless your airline is super-strict about one bag only (and I don't think United is for international flights), you might just want to wear the S25 and carry the Aeronaut with the Absolute Strap. By distributing the weight you shouldn't have any trouble carrying the Aeronaut by hand.

Also, if you end up deciding to check your Aeronaut on the way home, there is a service at FCO I highly recommend. Before you check in, you can go to a kiosk where they'll wrap your bag in extra-thick plastic wrap. It does wonders to keep contents inside the bag and will also protect the bag's handles from getting snagged on conveyor belts and the like. It's just a couple Euro, if I recall correctly, and worth it to my mind.
    I was only putting the S25 in the aeronaut just for ease of handling. I actually don't have it yet. I do have another bag that would work to help test it but otherwise, I may leave it at home if it takes too much space.

I agree with all your reco's from Israel trip. They are things I do also!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

If you are trying to cut down the weight you could leave out some things that you can easily buy in Italy:

- toilet paper (you find it in every public place anyway)
    - sunscreen cream
    - shampoo
    - various soap types
    - deodorant

A travel clothes line is a good idea, especially the woven, stretchy kind (available on Amazon). You can string it anywhere and you don't need clothes pins. You just insert a little corner of the fabric into the weave of the line. And the sink stopper is a necessity if you sink wash. Some people wash their clothing right in the shower. Others use a large zip bag, fill with water and soap, zip, and agitate. I prefer soaking my wash a little bit as I am known to be a messy eater. You could soak in a bag but then are still faced with sink rinses. Thus, I travel with these two above items all the time and I'm glad to have them both. You can easily use bar soap to wash, but I love my little Woolite packets. Also, some people swear by inflatable hangers as they feel the clothes dry faster, but I'm not sold yet on these.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0