Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By UK-Limey
  • 1 Post By hamiltee

Thread: Packing the Tri-Star for a 4-day convention

Packing the Tri-Star for a 4-day convention

Today I did a test-pack of my Tri-Star, to see what I could plausibly take on my next two trips by plane (note - this is to SF conventions where I'll be in my role as author, hence the eclectic packing list!).

First I tried the "kitchen sink" approach, just to see how much the TS would take. The answer was - an awful lot!

* Renaissance gear - padded cotton doublet, big shirt, faux leather wrist guards, + (in SPC) knee-length faux suede boots
    * Black trousers to coordinate with above as well as with other clothes
    * 4 smart shirts, 2 cotton, 2 silk - in PCBP with trousers (along with Ren shirt)
    * 4 camisoles + 3 t-shirts - in MPC
    * Black leather belt
    * 2 clear organiser cubes for toiletries (one "wet" i.e. 3-1-1, one dry)
    * Makeup bag + foundation palette
    * Jewellery organiser
    * First-aid/medicine kit in Mini OP
    * Charger and cables in small OP
    * Travel tray

I didn't get around to packing underwear, but there was still space left in the Tri-Star! Also, this obviously doesn't include the clothes I'll travel in, as I'll be staying at a hotel and won't need to pack everything whilst I'm there. I plan on taking my MCB as my personal item, hence the list doesn't include my electronics and other odds and ends.

Unfortunately TBTBS meant that the Tri-Star would exceed Delta's carry-on size, so it might have to be checked. Still, worth taking a chance, though I might then structure it so it's easy to pull out a change of clothes and my toiletries, dump them in the PCBP and take that as my carry-on luggage. (After a friend recently spent half her holiday in Prague with no suitcase - and thus no change of clothes - I tend to be a bit paranoid about checked luggage!)

Removing the Ren gear, it easily went down to 23cm thick, so would definitely qualify for carry-on. So I guess it all depends on whether I get assigned to one of the Shakespeare panels

To show what a huge pile of stuff the TS holds, I took a photo of everything from the above list (plus my cat, who insists on being the centre of attention):

Name:  convention gear.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  48.2 KB
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The Tri-Star will fit in the overhead bin on any Delta plane (though if it's very very thick, it might be a squeeze on the smaller regional jets), and I've never had a gate agent look twice, even when it was seriously over-filed. Good luck!
    scribe likes this.

Packing the Tri-Star for a 4-day convention

Thanks! Hopefully I will be fine, then - this is a transatlantic flight (Heathrow - Minneapolis St Paul)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I think your cat wants you not to go?

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Thanks! Hopefully I will be fine, then - this is a transatlantic flight (Heathrow - Minneapolis St Paul)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's likely a 767, which means you could fit a small pony in the overhead bin with room to spare; you will be fine. Have a safe and pleasant trip!
    scribe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    You'll have no problem with a transatlantic flight with a TS as hand luggage and a MCB as a personal item. I've done this numerous times with a TS and Cadet, from London-Boston on BA flights. For me the TS holds enough for Monday to Friday at work.
    scribe likes this.

I like the Princess Bride T-shirt!
    scribe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I think your cat wants you not to go?
    She hates me going away, poor thing!

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    I like the Princess Bride T-shirt!
    Yes, it gets a lot of love (and a lot of staring at my chest - *lol*). I spotted it at a convention in Chicago and couldn't not buy it
    Collections:

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0