Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Pilot's first solo trip - Overnight in Chicago

Pilot's first solo trip - Overnight in Chicago

I thought I'd post some photos of my Pilot fitted out for its first solo trip, and overnight to a meeting near the Chicago airport. In summary, the Pilot has worked PEREFECTLY for a very light overnight trip. I was able to fit it vertically under the seats on the plane, which is a very handy thing. I want to apologize for the quality of these pictures (taken with my cellphone) and for the bedspread, which is the fault of the Embassy Suites.

Packed out for the trip- very slightly bulgy, but not noticeably so, and about 11 lbs (5 kg)
    Name:  IMG_20140308_072935259.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  239.0 KB

And, the detail of what was contained:
    Name:  IMG_20140308_072418491.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  253.0 KB

Main compartment
    11" Macbook Air in Cache
    Large Pilot packing cube containing a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve knit shirt
    Business cards in pocket pouch

Water bottle pocket
    #2 travel stuff sack (Solar) containing socks and underwear, including a spare in case of flight cancellations. (I know, not REALLY necessary, but if that's my worst packing habit, I think I'm pretty okay)
    (As an aside: many thanks again to moriond for solving my backorder problem from her Strategic Tom Bihn Reserve (STBR)!)

Right pocket
    3D mesh organizer cube (olive parapack) containing chargers, dongles, pen, etc.
    3D clear organizer cube (navy parapack) containing toiletries (a somewhat minimal set: folding toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, floss, and Carmex.

Left pocket
    Navy parapack Side Effect (with double carabiners to attach to seatback pocket, which works brilliantly)
    Containing:
    Kindle Touch 3G in lighted case (waiting for Paperwhite 3 to upgrade)
    Reading glasses in case
    Bose QC20 noise canceling headphones (which, while expensive, are the best thing ever for traveling)
    Jackery bar (probably not necessary for a trip this short)
    3-4" charging cable (not pictures, but in the pocket)

It all worked very well, and if anyone has any questions, let me know!

When I get home tonight, it's time to pack for Pakistan (for anyone following my seemingly-unending saga!), which means the Pilot will join the Tri-Star. I don't know if I'll have a chance to document that as thoroughly, but the Pilot will be in a very different role. My goal, if possible, will be to fit the Pilot in the TS on the way out to make room for presents on the way back for my better half, who is patient about my slightly-excessive travel of late.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great pics, thank you. What is a Jackery bar please? Also, was your SE stuffed full and still fit in the pocket with the other items? Your right pocket description is great. I've been trying to determine exactly how big the pockets are.
    Moose

One more thing, was there room in the packing cube for a couple more pieces and still have it fit ok? So many questions...
    Last edited by Moose; 03-08-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@Moose: jackery is a company that makes external battery chargers for phones and other devices. The Bar is their mid-sized charger and it's great for getting 3 full charges on an iPhone. They make smaller sizes and bigger ones that can charge two devices or an iPad.

@jmoz, thank you for the pics. It's great to see the Pilot in use and it's starting to look like the perfect overnight business/meeting bag for those times when even a WF is overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moose and taminca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Great pics, thank you. What is a Jackery bar please? Also, was your SE stuffed full and still fit in the pocket with the other items? Your right pocket description is great. I've been trying to determine exactly how big the pockets are.
    Moose

One more thing, was there room in the packing cube for a couple more pieces and still have it fit ok? So many questions...
    The SE was pretty full, but not stuffed. i think I could probably fit a bit more in the pocket, but nothing particularly large. (All the items I listed were in the SE.) Badger already described the JackeryI Bar well. I first saw it somewhere on the forums here. It's worth adding that it's also a flashlight.

One could fit a bit more in the packing cube, but it would be a bit hard to shove in. I discovered putting the cache (still attached) in the magazine pocket makes it easier to shove the packing cube in if one adds more clothing.The cache then slides in pretty easily. Hopefully, that answers everything, but let me know if not. I should mention that I'm an academic, so I don't exactly need fancy clothing most of the time....

P.S. Last night, a colleague/friend who saw me get off the airport shuttle asked if I brought clothes, so it obviously didn't look overloaded at all.
    Moose and TavaPeak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Last night, a colleague/friend who saw me get off the airport shuttle asked if I brought clothes, so it obviously didn't look overloaded at all.
    I hope you said, "yes. I am wearing them", and just stared until s/he looked away.

jmoz, Badger, thank you for the education. I would love a smaller bag that I could make work fir an overnight or two. I've had my eye on the pilot since it came out.
    Moose

Thanks for sharing! I doubt I'll ever travel that light but it's nice to know that it's possible.
    I'm glad to hear you are finally going to Pakistan. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I hope you said, "yes. I am wearing them", and just stared until s/he looked away.
    What a wasted opportunity! Something about esprit de l'escalier....

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I doubt I'll ever travel that light but it's nice to know that it's possible.
    I'm glad to hear you are finally going to Pakistan. Good luck!
    Thanks! All the good wishes from people here have been very kind.

Great photos! I'm planning on taking my Pilot (Nordic/Solar) out tomorrow for its first official trip. It's a 2-night stay about 4 hours away, and I'll be driving. I'm also bringing along my Swift full of knitting, as I'll be visiting a knit shop in Sarasota. But I am planning on carrying all my overnight gear in the Pilot. My Swift will handle the knitting plus my iPad. I'll try to shoot some photos as well.

One last picture: my seat on an ERJ-145, which is an absurdly tiny regional jet, with very little space under the seat. Note the SE as a seat-back bag (as described elsewhere) and my Pilot sitting vertically under the seat! (Next to it is my red Mountain Hardwear down jacket.)

Name:  IMG_20140308_140830829.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  176.6 KB

Just got the navy parapack SE & 2 double carabiner clips for my son. Thanks for the photo!

Beautiful photo. What gorgeous colors are on your SE and Pilot?

The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Jmoz, wow, your Pilot looks MUCH bigger than I thought the bag was. I best get looking for more photos. I've seen many but your photo makes me pretty sure I now have to have one. Thanks' I think...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Beautiful photo. What gorgeous colors are on your SE and Pilot?
    Both are Navy, but the Pilot is Ballistic Nylon and the SE is parapackI . think the SE is, on average, a little darker than it looks in the photo.

I like to think of the Pilot as TARDIS colored, which is very appropriate for how it packs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0