Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Tetris packing the Synapse 25

Tetris packing the Synapse 25

Just returned from Ecuador and Panama on a 16 day jaunt, I am FED UP with hauling around stuff in hot, humid climates! Nothing like a vacation to prompt me to continually refine my packing lists. I did use a 20" roller bag and my Synapse 25. I am totally sick of the roller, although believe me, standing on security lines for hours is not fun without one. So my next strategy is this: if I have to take a backpack because we do nature travel, then I don't want to haul anything larger than my S25 as my main clothing bag. The introduction of Pilot makes this a very viable option for me, because like most people packing in this forum, the nonclothing GEAR is considerable, and it can all go in there. My question is: Has anyone tetris packed the S25 with clothing only? And what does it look like. I realize sizes may vary.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I have used the Synapse 25 as my one bag for two weeks in Italy. This isn't a good picture, but here it is on a vaporetto. I had a mixture of shirts, sweaters, and bottoms that all worked with each other, so I had plenty of outfits. I am small though.
    Name:  IMG_1457.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  528.2 KB

Monkeylady,

I don't want to come off as the poster child for the Guide's Pack,
    But have u considered it?

It's only a wee bit larger and you have the options for add ons and lash ons.

I find that when I "stuff" the S25 the "egg" thing happens vs when I stuff the Guides pack and it doesn't. (Internal frame)
    The S25 is great as long as u don't exceed a certain threshold where it bloats out no matter how well u pack it.
    For clothing using the Pcsb as a stuff sack seems to use the Guide's pack in an optimum fashion.
    You have 4 colors for coding purposes.

Plus in the lid compartment u could fit 4-3d cubes (stuffed) in there for accessories .
    ( I'm sure u have bunches of those) :-))))

Ps. I'm a men's large.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-17-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Trailhiker, how comfortable is the Guide's Pack when wearing it all day? It looks like it can get pretty heavy when loaded up and the accessories clipped on. With that being said I do not have a lot of experience with true hiking backpacks, especially with frames. I love my S25 but definitely know about the 'egg syndrome' when packed too full.
    eWalker likes this.
    Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch | Various Key Straps

I would point out that the Smart Alec in dyneema is as light as the Synapse 25, and can be packed quite full while still holding its shape and being comfortable to wear. It might be better for clothes because everything goes into the one compartment. I am not a 100% fan of the Smart Alec but it has its advantages, and one of those is that it can packed to absolute capacity without the part of the bag that touches your back changing shape much.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Trailhiker, how comfortable is the Guide's Pack when wearing it all day? It looks like it can get pretty heavy when loaded up and the accessories clipped on. With that being said I do not have a lot of experience with true hiking backpacks, especially with frames. I love my S25 but definitely know about the 'egg syndrome' when packed too full.
    Jeff,
    I'm 5'10" and the pack fits very comfortably. The longest I've hiked with it so far is about 4-5 hours and I'm giddy about the fit over that time span. With a change of clothes, food, a serious first aid kit, a leads pocket filled with compass, 500 lumen head lamp, 600 lumen hand light, multi tool etc, drawing materials, camera, jacket and vest. (I usually start out in the early morning where it's about 35 degrees- for SoCal that's cold) water, thermos with tea I clock in at about 25 - 30 pounds.
    And I don't bother with the hip straps, just the sternum strap.

At the moment I've switched my pockets so they zipper open towards the back of the backpack.( meaning that when u set down the pack with the back straps facing towards you u could then access the pockets - so u don't dirty up where your back goes, where after the sun pokes up could get a little moisture laden.

When I use my S19 or the S25 my optimum packing capacity for either is about 75 percent of its capacity.
    Jeff A and eWalker like this.

MonkeyLady, What is Tetris packing?

Jim
    eWalker likes this.

It's the arrangement of packing cubes and other accessories to take complete advantage of the packing space available, like the game of Tetris. I am curious about what size packing cubes people use
    and their layouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    It's the arrangement of packing cubes and other accessories to take complete advantage of the packing space available, like the game of Tetris. I am curious about what size packing cubes people use
    and their layouts.

I have a post somewhere about how I packed the Synapse 25 for two weeks. Here! Found it!
    Synapse 25 and Packing Cubes
    eWalker likes this.

Thanks a lot, Rocks! I think I'll take my S25 into the store and mess with cubes. Also check out the Pilot in person.

I am not a well-traveled person but I have commuted with my S25 to and from work with clothing and I can tell you that they key to the S25 is to pack as little as possible. Pick clothes you can wear often and that you can mix & match. Buy quick drying clothes and underwear. The S25 is cavernous in size but that teardrop shape doesn't allow the most efficient packing. However the shape of the bag is what I love most about the S25 because it doesn't scream "hiker!".

The front, bottom pocket is what I call the "bathroom": all toiletries should go in there.
    One side pocket should be the "vanity": all makeup and hair items.
    The other side pocket should be "the night table": mini alarm clock, tissues, glasses or sun glasses, watch, TB travel tray.
    The main pocket is the "closet": clothes, underwear and shoes.
    The top front, deep pocket should be an umbrella and collapsable water bottle.
    The top front. shallow pocket: Your cell phone and charger.

This is your bedroom in a Synapse 25.
    Last edited by MelissaL; 02-19-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Thanks a lot, Rocks! I think I'll take my S25 into the store and mess with cubes. Also check out the Pilot in person.
    Oh sure, just rub it in.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Melissa, What a great way to describe your approach to the Synapse! It's really helpful. I generally take very little, but I plan on taking even less on my nexr trip. I have ALL quick dry clothing and NONE of it dries overnight in a hot, steamy jungle. Try 3 days if you're lucky and it doesn't rain and increase the humidity. In this case, it helps to pack a few more tops and bottoms. I hate wearing wet clothes. But since this clothing is so light weight and nonbulky, it should work. If not, I'll have a new reason to acquire a Pilot...for the overflow.....any excuse, right?

eWalker likes this.

Rocks, Did you use cubes when you packed for Italy?

eWalker likes this.

Trailhiker, I don't plan on buying another backpack at this advanced stage of life and based on the frequency of my travel. I just need to make my Synapse work. My heavy load this past trip was due to a week in the Andes at high altitudes and lowish temps and a week in the Ecuador Amazon where everything is hot, hot, hot, and wet, wet, wet. So more of a variety of clothing was called for than our usual travel. We were also challenged with lack of laundry facilities. I carried way too much nonclothing gear and in the future some of it ( a greatly reduced inventory of toys) could be relegated to a Pilot.

eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0