Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Grandcache
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 4 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By jmoz

Thread: Beach Vacation

Cool Beach Vacation

We were tired of winter in Virginia and decided spur of the moment to head south to sun and sand. A quick pack and an 8 hr drive put us on Amelia Island...and we have already extended our stay to avoid the next wave of winter at home. I literally threw stuff in packing cubes and stuffed my bags....In my Western Flyer: Back Slot ---Small packing cube 1--5sstshirts&2lsshirts, Small packing cube2:socks,undies,sleepwear,1pr water shorts; Wrapped around the 2packing cubes: 2 pr capris and slipped it all in a Packing Cube Backpack. In Divided Front Slot--Left Side: Beach shoes in Packing Cube Shoulder bag and Merino Zip in Stuff Sack; Right Side: Empty Dyneema Side Effect, 2 3D Cubes 1 Clear with 3-1-1 type contents and 1 Dyneema with other toiletries, Medium Pouch with passports (just in case). In my Synapse 19: Left Side pocket:Sunscreen; Right Side Pocket : 2 Organizer Pouches with chargers etc.; Small Front Pocket: Flashlight; Water bottle pocket: insulated Camelback Water Bottle; Bottom Pocket: Windreaker; Main Pocket--ipad2 in cache inside Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Lunchbot, Beach hat, large shop bag, Side Effect (PLO)...there was enough room left for knitting, but because we were driving, I just threw my swift in the car. :-). I wore LS Shirt, Slacks, Puffy Vest, Mary Jane Style Chacos and socks. We also tucked a canvas bag in the back with winter coats, wool hats, scarfs, and gloves in case we encountered bad weather while traveling.

In any case, I have to say it is all working quite well...we have already extended our stay by 3 nights to avoid the midweek storm in the forecast at home. It has been wonderful having the flexibility of my Synapse 19 and the packing cube shoulder bags...One PCSB has become my tech bag...iPad2 with the charger pouch in outside zip pocket. I swapped my PLO stuff into the Dyneema Side Effect (lighter, beach friendly) and sometimes tuck it into the other PCSB so I have additional space for maps, brochures, small purchases etc, or I can carry the SE separately and have more room in the PCSB. My Synapse19 is once again "Old Faithful"...I can comfortably carry whatever, wherever and always have what I need when I need it. The other bags/organizers ride along depending on the plans for the day.

Thank you Tom Bihn...I seem to have everything I need and was able to throw it all together quickly so that I can enjoy this reprieve while I wait for better weather at home...:-)
    Last edited by Grandcache; 02-10-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Side Effect (PLO)... I swapped my PLO stuff into the Dyneema Side Effect (lighter, beach friendly) and sometimes tuck it into the other PCSB so I have additional space for maps, brochures, small purchases etc, or I can carry the SE separately and have more room in the PCSB.
    Great list, and great, all-purpose bag combinations. A quick acronym translation for forum newbies: PLO is a term that dorayme coined in one of her posts for "purse like object", and can refer to different Tom Bihn bags being used as a "purse". Grandcache has been careful here to reference her Side Effect as the PLO in question, so you know which bag it is when you see PLO later in the thread (in swapping between Ballistic Nylon and Dyneema Side Effects), and she spells out bags before using their abbreviations (packing cube shoulder bag - PCSB, Side Effect - SE, etc.). So, given the "standard" acronyms of PCSB, SE, etc. that you can recognize from the names of Tom Bihn products, you might not recognize PLO, which sprang up from forum usage.
    taminca and jmoz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    .... A quick acronym translation for forum newbies: .... So, given the "standard" acronyms of PCSB, SE, etc. that you can recognize from the names of Tom Bihn products, you might not recognize PLO, which sprang up from forum usage.
    I'm amazed by moriond's encyclopedic knowledge of everything that happens on the forums, and as a relatively-recent newbie, I appreciate her frequent helpfulness. This one seemed like as good an instance as any to call out moriond for awesomeness.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I'm amazed by moriond's encyclopedic knowledge of everything that happens on the forums, and as a relatively-recent newbie, I appreciate her frequent helpfulness. This one seemed like as good an instance as any to call out moriond for awesomeness.
    Thanks, jmoz, but I confess that this acronym gave me pause the first time I read it in one of dorayme's posts, and I tried to immediately translate it into the names of Tom Bihn bags that I knew she had. When she decided to add a list of all the Tom Bihn products she had to her signature line, and found they wouldn't all fit, she went into extreme abbreviation/acronym mode with color coding. And since she posts frequently, often with awesome comparison pics (like those of the worn Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Synapse 25 and 19, Western Flyer, Smart Alec, Packing Cube Backpacks of both sorts, and Ruck's Sac in the Who says short people can't carry big bags? thread), she uses those acronyms all the time. Sometimes I have to infer whether "LS" refers to "Little Swift" or "Large Shop Bag" from the context of posts, since both "LS" and "LSB" can be used for the large shop bag.

Yes, moriond, but having a link to every thread everyone ever posted in your pocket is (A) incredibly useful, and (B) pretty amazing. Even with searching, I've found you need to know pretty precisely what you're searching for. Anyhow, sorry to call you out, but I wanted you to know that it's appreciated.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0