Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Going From 80 to -4 with my Western Flyer

Going From 80 to -4 with my Western Flyer

I'm heading out on Wednesday to Kansas, and I'm interested in some packing ideas. Apparently between now and then, the temp is supposed to dip quite low as well as deliver about a foot of snow. I'm in Florida, and currently it's 80. I will be traveling with my 12-year-old daughter and will be carrying my WF and my new Pilot, which is scheduled to arrive sometime TODAY! Two days after arrival, I'll be hopping on my dad's 36 foot RV to help him drive it down to Florida for his annual visit.

I don't want to pack heavily, so how should I account for the weather challenges? I'm letting daughter use my packable down coat as she is not prepared to deal with the weather which leaves me either wearing my heavy wool pea coat (I can't stand the idea of carrying that thing) or adjusting to the temps some other way. Is there a secret to doing this in layers with minimal discomfort? I will be out in the weather loading the RV, so it's not just quick dashes door to door. I could probably borrow a neighbor's coat, I suppose. My other choices are a denim jacket (cotton, holds moisture), a Lululemon running jacket with a light lining, or a Gander Mountain fleece jacket that is very fitted. I'm guessing the fleece jacket may be my best bet. I'll bring a hat and mittens as well.

For those who navigate these changes regularly, I'm interested in any tricks you may have picked up along the way. Thanks much!

Skip the denim jacket. That will make you freeze. I'd bring the fleece and the running jacket and layer them. You need a hat and gloves and a scarf. Double knot your shoes before you go outside. The last thing you want to do is take off your gloves to tie your shoes in the cold. Wear wool socks. I also recommend down. Not to scare you, but the cold is serious business. Ask a Minnesotan. I'm outside in this weather every day, and it doesn't mess around. Do a constant inventory: feet and hands will suffer first and also your face. If you can feel pain from the cold, you're still OK, but if you start to get numb, that's trouble.

Long underwear is probably the cheapest, most packable option. That alone will probably not get you all the way down to -4. If you added your fleece and another mid-weight jacket you would probably be able to cope. If you are only going to be in Kansas for a few days would you be able to borrow a coat from your father when you arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Do a constant inventory: feet and hands will suffer first and also your face. If you can feel pain from the cold, you're still OK, but if you start to get numb, that's trouble.
    Thanks for the reminder about the numbness. I am also from the Midwest. I grew up in Kansas, and lived in Ohio for 15 years, but the past 6 years in Florida have made me a softie for sure. As a knitter, I can amply supply wool wear. My socks that I'm traveling with are either handknit thick wool or Smartwool. I'll see about bringing both jackets. The Gander Mountain one is spandex and really conforms to my body, so perhaps the Lululemon will fit over it. I'll try it on to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    Long underwear is probably the cheapest, most packable option.
    I will head out today and pick some up. Not certain why I didn't think of that, but it's a great suggestion. Thanks! I can borrow a coat from Dad, so that will be ok. The drive from the airport is over an hour long, and if we experience car trouble (not expecting it I'll need it for certain. Because of that, I'll ask him to bring the coat with him to the airport.

This is what I recommend for traveling from warm to cold climes. I'm a person who gets cold easily and has to wear two layers of pants if I'm outside and the temperature is below 25 or 30F.
    • Long underwear. I'm guessing that even in Florida, you can pick up basic long underwear in the lingerie section of Target if you don't have any. Otherwise, get some footless tights and put them on under your pants. Try your pants on over the long underwear or tights. Choose your pants based on what's comfortable over your long underwear.
    • Two pairs of medium or one pair of medium and one of lightweight socks are better than one pair of thick socks. Make sure your socks aren't cotton and have a spare pair to change into if your feet sweat even when you're cold (like me). Just a little bit of dampness can make your feet even colder.
    • Shirts. Plan on wearing a tank top or camisole under a short or long-sleeve t-shirt (or slightly heavier weight, if you have one). Over that, you will want a lightweight or medium-weight sweater or sweatshirt. On top of that will go a vest if you have one, then your fleece. Some sort of windbreaker is good. If you have a tight one for running in Florida, you may need to wear it under your fleece.
    • Scarf. This will keep your neck and chin warm.
    • Mittens.
    • Hat that will cover your ears.

You should be able to wear the same sweater for several days, so you may only need to pack different undershirts. Try to pack a long-sleeve back-up and a short-sleeve back-up shirt. You can layer the undershirts if you're really cold.

The advice about borrowing a heavy coat when you get to Kansas is good.
    moriond likes this.

Are you flying up?

In any case, you guessed perfectly: "Lululemon running jacket with a light lining, a Gander Mountain fleece jacket that is very fitted. I'm guessing the fleece jacket may be my best bet. I'll bring a hat and mittens as well."

The secret is to layer, what one's own. Bring both the jacket and the fleece.

I would add a pair of yoga pants or leggings that you can layer under another pair of pants, in a pinch pyjama pants can do.

On the road, a sunny day can turn the car, or in your case, the RV cabin really toasty.

While a mild temperature but rainy/windy day calls for a rain shell on those necessary snacks and bathroom stops.

Layering is also a good idea when flying.

The trek through the airport is as good as a workout and wearing the basics layers is all that is needed.
    This also work on the tarmac, especially on a sunny day.

However, on take off until high altitudes are reached, the cabin is downright chilly, I always bundle up using outerwear, cardigan, hat and scarve as I would a blanket, draped around the shoulder the sleeves tied in front of me securing the garment.

During the day, cruising altitude is usually above cloud and sunny, after a while, all those layers are going to feel way too hot.

At night, the bundling up can be kept for the duration of the flight.

When flying from a warm or hot location to a cold or freezing one, it is smart to save one layer, usually the fleece, to wear outside in addition to the bundle up on the plane layers.

It is widely known that the most freezing, snowiest, windiest, rainiest or hottest days will be the ones when the rental cars, hotels, parking and terminal shuttles as well as train, tram or buses will be delayed.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-03-2014 at 01:31 PM.

I would also double up on the gloves or mittens.
    If your gloves get wet, they will not be fun to wear.

Hmm, unless I missed it I haven't seen any talk about your footwear you are bringing.
    Above the ankle boots might be a good start. :-/
    Gortex or some other brand of water resistance would be preferred.
    Again, it's that wetness thing.

If u catch yourself at some point standing around in the cold,
    The shaking hand warmer packets would come in handy.
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 02-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    I would also double up on the gloves or mittens.
    If your gloves get wet, they will not be fun to wear.

Hmm, unless I missed it I haven't seen any talk about your footwear you are bringing.
    I'm glad you thought of that. I originally planned to only bring one pair (the ones I was going to wear), which are Earth open back shoes. I'm dealing with a fair bit of plantar fasciitis right now, and these are the only pair that are light yet comfortable.

Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I do still have my snow boots (Merrill) from my days back in Ohio. I bought them brand new and only used them a couple of times before we moved. I'll just wear those through the airport, even though I suspect I'll be HOT, and then have them with me for the crazy snow and cold. Then, once we get in warmer climes (hopefully not long as we're planning on heading straight south) I'll trade them out for the Earths.

Being from the mid west you know this, layers are key. I love Cuddleduds. I have tops and bottoms but only wear the bottoms. A silk tank works wonders. Wool long sleeved tshirts are great. If your toes gets cold put on a hat. Smartwool socks do a pretty good job of keeping you warm too. Down is great but a windproof fleece can work wonders. I've spent most of my life in Minnesota, Colorado and Maine. I hate the cold, go figure...
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 02-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

As a native Cheesehead (Wisconsin for our foreign friends)...as Rocks points out, you want to layer. Land's End makes a great silk long underwear set. I used to wear these under uniforms and they are not bulky at all. They are easy to pack too. I still pack them when needed. A hat, gloves, and scarf are required. Hiking boots (double knotted) are great too. Don't mess around if you're not used to the cold. You must layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, you know you are getting cold and hypothermia is starting if it is difficult to touch your thumb to the tip of your pinky finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Being from the mid west you know this, layers are key. I love Cuddleduds.
    Moose
    Funny you should say that. I just got back from buying what I believe to be the last set of Cuddleduds in the city! The top is one size too big, but the pants fit just fine. I also found a top for my daughter, but no pants so we headed over to the exercise department and bought her some leggings. As our area just got over the shock of dipping into sub 30 degree weather, all the (already limited) thermal wear was sadly depleted. We are all set now, though.

I keep notes in a travel journal of things I should have packed (or should not have packed) so I can use these notes on the next trip to that destination or similar destination. I like to jot down things that worked or didn't work, and why. It's amazing how often I refer to my journal for every trip to help me remember the little things that can make a large impact on a trip.

My last trip to Flagstaff in November (16 degrees) I wrote a note on my travel journal:

"Expletive" the layering! Get a compression sack and pack a really warm down jacket!!

No matter how much I layered and covered every extremity, I could not get comfortable. Being a Southern California girl (5 generations in San Diego), I will admit that I am not used to the cold. Negative temperatures are worse. I be sure both you and your daughter have very warm jackets, as well as the wool/silk undies and liners.
    Last edited by Melissa; 02-03-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

I layer silk longjohns from Lands End under pants and Cuddleduds (tank or long sleeve) on top. An "indoor" scarf at my neck and fleece vest or jacket. At night I wear a tank under warm pj's, and socks.

For time on the road, you might want a bandanna. You can tie it around your neck, put it across your face if you have to be outside (say, to gas the rig), or use it for myriad other tasks, like rustling cattle.

The cold front in COlorado will be moving east by the time you arrive. We're expecting sub-zero temps at night, so you are really smart to plan ahead. It will be "cold enough to freeze a dog to the sidewalk," as they used to say in Missouri, when I was in college.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast