Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Going From 80 to -4 with my Western Flyer

A neck gaiter will stay in place better than a scarf (for me, anyway), contains only a fraction of the material, and can usually fit in a pocket. They are available in varying thicknesses.

Thanks, TavaPeak. I remember walking the hills of Lawrence, home of my alma mater the University of Kansas, in some bitter cold weather. Not looking forward to experiencing it again, but my daughter is excited. She's never experienced cold like this!

My dad went to KU and my mom went to K State. You can imagine our house during basketball season! So glad your daughter will see Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    My dad went to KU and my mom went to K State. You can imagine our house during basketball season! So glad your daughter will see Kansas.
    Similar story my way. I'm a KU grad and my sister is a K-State grad. It makes things spicy in our reunions!

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but if your daughter isn't helping load the RV, reclaim your jacket from her.

Also, try not to wear cotton next to your skin if possible. If you start to sweat you will get chilled instantly and as others have pointed out, hypothermia is no fun.

I just flew in this morning from DTW and had on my gore-tex hiking boots. They were fine on the plane and I certainly appreciated them once I got out of the airport. I don't think you would regret bringing them at all.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you going to be doing out in the cold? If you are moving around, actively walking back and forth to the RV carrying stuff, you might actually be warmer than you think, especially if you're in and out of the warm house. The downside to over-dressing is that you sweat, which then really makes you cold. How used you are to the cold is probably a factor, too, but overdressing is counter-productive.

YMMV, but if I were doing this, I'd wear a couple of light long-sleeved non-cotton layers (wool, quick-dry exercise shirts, something like that), a heavy fleece or wool sweater, long underwear and heavy pants (jeans or track pants), fingering-weight wool socks and whatever boots I had on hand. I'd add a wool hat (a tuque to us Canucks) and thin wool mitts, though I might end up taking off the mitts if my hands got too warm. If I got cold, I'd go inside for a few minutes and maybe throw on one more light layer.

Hypothermia is no fun, as people have said. It is dangerous. But it takes time for your body to lose enough heat for hypothermia to set in, and it would be quite unusual for a sensible adult to allow themselves to get dangerously cold when shelter is readily available.

Thanks terayon. I am packed up now. What I ended up bringing is the following:

1 wool knitted hat that covers my ears
    1 wool neckwarmer
    1 pair of thin gloves + 1 pair of wool fingerless mitts
    long underwear of the Cuddleduds variety, both top and bottoms
    1 Ibex long-sleeved wool t-shirt
    1 Polar Fleece running pullover top
    1 Lululemon running jacket (fitted, but should work)
    1 pair of jeans
    1 pair of Merrill snow boots (which I will be wearing on the plane because they took up way too much room in my WF

I have always been accustomed to the cold, but having lived in Florida for the past 6 years has definitely softened me. I am now quite chilly if the temps dip below 60.

My daughter is similarly clothed, but I have also loaned her my packable down coat (she's 12 and not even 100 pounds. She needs the insulation!)

I do expect to be robustly busy, so I think the exercise will keep me decently warm. I'm a little down because my Western Flyer is bulkier than usual, but a big portion of that is due to the extra warm weather gear plus I'm carrying shoes in it. I weighed it, and it came in at 13 pounds, and as I'm about 150, I think I'm good to go. I am also bringing along my new (received just last night) Pilot. It will function by holding onto my iPad, knitting, keyboard, water, Side Effect, and miscellaneous detritus.

Now, as long as my flight runs smoothly, and I'm guessing that's highly doubtful at this point, I'll be in good shape!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2