Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By Toblerhaus
  • 1 Post By nsh
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Mama's bags for Hawaii

Mama's bags for Hawaii

Aloha! I'm thrilled to be packing for our first trip to Hawaii. We'll be on the Big Island for 10 days. While I can't call this a super light packing job, I did manage to appease my inner Girl Scout while keeping it carry on only.

My Aeronaut

IMG_9402 by agtobler, on Flickr

Opened up

IMG_9404 by agtobler, on Flickr

Contents out: quarter cube, 311 bag, 2 packing cubes, tripod, eye shades, mesh bag for laundry, floaty handle and waterproof case for iPhone and GoPro, packable sling bag, Keen sandals

IMG_9406 by agtobler, on Flickr

Inside cube #1 (clockwise from top left): Hypknoties convertible dress and bandeau, long sleeved sun shirt, skirt, 2 capris, 2 short sleeved shirts, and 4 tanks

IMG_9408 by agtobler, on Flickr

Inside cube #2 (clockwise from top left): sarong, skirted swim leggings, zippered swim jacket, Kooltie neck tie, 2 bras, 4 underwear, 3 socks, sun hat, swimsuit, swim tank

IMG_9412 by agtobler, on Flickr

Gear backpack (which has way too much gear, but I like my gadgets)

IMG_9417 by agtobler, on Flickr

Backpack contents (clockwise from top left): food bag, camera bag, pen, Kindle, iPad, Side Effect purse, red zip pouches with meds and first aid, stuff sacks with assorted plugs, cords and accessories, insulated mug, reusable grocery bag, and a Travel Tray.

IMG_9413 by agtobler, on Flickr

Finally, ALL the little stuff removed from camera bag, zip pouches, and stuff sacks.

IMG_9414 by agtobler, on Flickr

I'd love to cut back on my backpack contents at some point, but it's a slow process for me. Traveling with kids complicates things a bit, especially with their severe food allergies. They carry most of their own stuff, though. My biggest target for trimming down is to consider whether I could downsize my camera gear for travel, but I keep spending camera funds on Tom Bihn bags. ;-)

Thanks for letting me share my packing mania.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

nsh
    Aloha! I hope you share some pictures of your trip when you get back...the snowy landscape in New England has gotten a bit old (already) and some shots of sunshine, beaches, and palm trees sound way more exciting!
    PS- I went to Pearl Harbor shortly after the museum was renovated/revamped (in January 2011) and it was fantastic. It was my first time so I had no basis for comparison but my Mom had been to the older version of the exhibits in the decade prior and she said the new changes were great.

Aloha! Love the big island. Guessing you are staying on kona side. You may want to swap a pair of shorts for capris. It can be warm!
    It can be cool and wet at volcano. The sweater or jacket you wear on the plane is fine.

Fyi there are no jetways at Kona airport. depending on the airline, you will deplane via stairs or ramp.

Have a great time,

Ditto on what Hawaii says about sweater or light jacket. Aloha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Depending on where you are, it could be really wet (for example, in the ocean, haha; but seriously, it does rain with some frequency). If you have a really light shell that could be helpful. A light insulating layer is also not a bad idea, especially if you happen to enter an air-conditioned environment for any extended period of time. Have fun, and bring back coffee! I love your packing photos and lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!! Is the Aeronaut and Side Effect in black dyneema? I think they're black but the last photo of the SE in the steel travel tray threw me off...

Volunteer Moderator
    Not sure whether you need any advice, with all the other suggestions. Climate can vary a lot depending on where you are on the Big Island. "Hawaii Island contains perhaps the world’s greatest concentration of climate types in its 4038 square miles. From dry, coastal, desert strand to some of the wettest spots on earth, to hot humid tropical lushness to stark, barren, snow-capped mountains, our big island offers an astonishing array of climates. You have probably heard a similar oft-quoted line, “Hawaii has 11 of the world’s 13 climate zones.” " The Hilo (airport) (east) side is rainier compared to the Kona (airport) (west) side. Several light layers are always a good idea.

I don't know what kind of food allergies you need to watch out for, but you could try Island Naturals (among other stores) that are located around the Big Island for gluten-free and other such products. (There are other stores in other specific locations.)

Since you're an iPhone and iPad user, there's an app I like, and posted about in the Virtual Touristing in Hawaii thread under the Travel Tips forum. Their Explore Kilauea Volcano: Plants app is currently free, and you should get it if you'd like to know how to identify the plants around Volcano National Park, and also know how the Hawaiian names are pronounced. I like the Explore Kilauea Volcano app a lot as a way of revisiting the trails around Volcano National Park, after the fact. You can see all the different types of plants, trees, geological formations, etc. that are along the trails. (Probably, the first time you walked through, you weren't able to notice everything!). That app ($4.99) includes the geological and plant information, as well as three virtual trails. You can also buy apps for two of the individual trails (currently for $0.99 each). 10% of the sales from the apps go towards supporting Volcano National Park. I don't have any relation to this app -- I just happen to like it a lot. It'll work on your iPhone, but is nicer on the iPad.

HTH.

moriond

We made it to Hawaii! It was quite the travel day, with 6 adults, and 5 kids traveling together. We have 2 Aeronauts, 1 Brain Bag, and 4 Synapses between the three families. I need to get a picture of all those beautiful bags together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Aloha! Love the big island. Guessing you are staying on kona side. You may want to swap a pair of shorts for capris. It can be warm!
    It can be cool and wet at volcano. The sweater or jacket you wear on the plane is fine.

Fyi there are no jetways at Kona airport. depending on the airline, you will deplane via stairs or ramp.

Have a great time,
    Yes, we are staying on the Kona side. I don't own any shorts, but will probably use the skirt heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Depending on where you are, it could be really wet (for example, in the ocean, haha; but seriously, it does rain with some frequency). If you have a really light shell that could be helpful. A light insulating layer is also not a bad idea, especially if you happen to enter an air-conditioned environment for any extended period of time. Have fun, and bring back coffee! I love your packing photos and lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wore a super light wool sweater and linen pants on the flight. It was super windy and a little cool last night, so I know I'll be glad to have the layers.

Apparently, it rained 3 inches yesterday! After so many dry months in CA, I look forward to playing in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by blusquid View Post
    Nice!! Is the Aeronaut and Side Effect in black dyneema? I think they're black but the last photo of the SE in the steel travel tray threw me off...
    Yes, the Aeronaut and SE are black Dyneema. It is such a sharp looking fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Not sure whether you need any advice, with all the other suggestions. Climate can vary a lot depending on where you are on the Big Island. "Hawaii Island contains perhaps the world’s greatest concentration of climate types in its 4038 square miles. From dry, coastal, desert strand to some of the wettest spots on earth, to hot humid tropical lushness to stark, barren, snow-capped mountains, our big island offers an astonishing array of climates. You have probably heard a similar oft-quoted line, “Hawaii has 11 of the world’s 13 climate zones.” " The Hilo (airport) (east) side is rainier compared to the Kona (airport) (west) side. Several light layers are always a good idea.

I don't know what kind of food allergies you need to watch out for, but you could try Island Naturals (among other stores) that are located around the Big Island for gluten-free and other such products. (There are other stores in other specific locations.)

Since you're an iPhone and iPad user, there's an app I like, and posted about in the Virtual Touristing in Hawaii thread under the Travel Tips forum. Their Explore Kilauea Volcano: Plants app is currently free, and you should get it if you'd like to know how to identify the plants around Volcano National Park, and also know how the Hawaiian names are pronounced. I like the Explore Kilauea Volcano app a lot as a way of revisiting the trails around Volcano National Park, after the fact. You can see all the different types of plants, trees, geological formations, etc. that are along the trails. (Probably, the first time you walked through, you weren't able to notice everything!). That app ($4.99) includes the geological and plant information, as well as three virtual trails. You can also buy apps for two of the individual trails (currently for $0.99 each). 10% of the sales from the apps go towards supporting Volcano National Park. I don't have any relation to this app -- I just happen to like it a lot. It'll work on your iPhone, but is nicer on the iPad.

HTH.

moriond
    All of your advice is appreciated! I am so excited to get out and explore!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0