Much has been written about the benefits of the side effect, my favorites are:
1) It’s simple – with no adornments of any kind. This means I can carry it in both business and casual settings. Being so “basic”, it can go with a suit and look ok doing it – basically it can go up to any level of dressiness that does not require sequins/shiny things… (yes, my world of clothes is that simple, events that require sequins, and everything else)
2) The fabric is gorgeous. I love the ballistic fabric. It is a big part of why the bag “works” even as a business purse with a suit
3) Surprisingly light weight. I carried it pretty loaded all day and never noticed I had it on
4) It’s also surprisingly roomy. There always seems to be room for that one more tidbit I need to add
5) There is no top flap to get in my way – it’s easy to access the zippers without an extra step
6) One handed operation – I don’t know if this was intended, but it’s just the right “stiffness” that when wearing it cross-body I can unzip (always) and re-zip (usually) with one hand. Very helpful for getting things in and out while doing something else
7) My Kindle will fit in it!! I have had similar bags (smallest purse category) that would not fit the Kindle, so had to go up a bag size if I wanted to have the reading option. This is not much bigger at all, but somehow manages to fit my Kindle so I don’t have to upsize to carry it.
I am getting rid of at least 3 other bags that were “almost right” for this purpose, but never quite pleased me.
I am also resisting the urge to buy one in aubergine/wasabi… After all, classic black meets all my needs and can be carried on any occasion (but the purple speaks to my soul…)
Small bag of almonds
“Wallet” pouch with credit cards, cash, nail clippers, chap stick, ibuprofen, hair tie
Second wallet pouch with loyalty cards, etc.
iPhone (if my pockets are full/non-existent)
Receipts (usually a handful of some sort, not pictured)
Lipstick (didn’t realize that was in there)
Keys (yes, that is a Lego Yoda flashlight keychain)
And then in the “why not try?” category (every time I pack a TB bag and find space remaining, I do this, try to find the actual outer limits of the bag...) – I wondered if my camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ3 in case) would fit as well. Yes it did, although the almonds had to come out and it was tight.