Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Side Effect - My new constant companion

Side Effect - My new constant companion

Much has been written about the benefits of the side effect, my favorites are:

1) It’s simple – with no adornments of any kind. This means I can carry it in both business and casual settings. Being so “basic”, it can go with a suit and look ok doing it – basically it can go up to any level of dressiness that does not require sequins/shiny things… (yes, my world of clothes is that simple, events that require sequins, and everything else)
    2) The fabric is gorgeous. I love the ballistic fabric. It is a big part of why the bag “works” even as a business purse with a suit
    3) Surprisingly light weight. I carried it pretty loaded all day and never noticed I had it on
    4) It’s also surprisingly roomy. There always seems to be room for that one more tidbit I need to add
    5) There is no top flap to get in my way – it’s easy to access the zippers without an extra step
    6) One handed operation – I don’t know if this was intended, but it’s just the right “stiffness” that when wearing it cross-body I can unzip (always) and re-zip (usually) with one hand. Very helpful for getting things in and out while doing something else
    7) My Kindle will fit in it!! I have had similar bags (smallest purse category) that would not fit the Kindle, so had to go up a bag size if I wanted to have the reading option. This is not much bigger at all, but somehow manages to fit my Kindle so I don’t have to upsize to carry it.

End result(s):
    I am getting rid of at least 3 other bags that were “almost right” for this purpose, but never quite pleased me.

I am also resisting the urge to buy one in aubergine/wasabi… After all, classic black meets all my needs and can be carried on any occasion (but the purple speaks to my soul…)

What’s inside:

Keys
    Granola Bar
    Small bag of almonds
    Tissues
    “Wallet” pouch with credit cards, cash, nail clippers, chap stick, ibuprofen, hair tie
    Second wallet pouch with loyalty cards, etc.
    Checkbook
    Pen
    Stylus
    Business Cards
    iPhone earbuds
    iPhone (if my pockets are full/non-existent)
    Comb
    3X5 cards
    Receipts (usually a handful of some sort, not pictured)
    Lipstick (didn’t realize that was in there)
    Keys (yes, that is a Lego Yoda flashlight keychain)

And then in the “why not try?” category (every time I pack a TB bag and find space remaining, I do this, try to find the actual outer limits of the bag...) – I wondered if my camera (Panasonic DMC-TZ3 in case) would fit as well. Yes it did, although the almonds had to come out and it was tight.
    Name:  Side Effect Carry.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  209.0 KB

Wow! It never occurred to me to try my Kindle in my SE. Like you, the SE has become my ED purse. I carry keys; gym tags; TB wallet with credit cards and paper money, health insurance card, Starbucks card;
    clip-on sunglasses in hard case; mini clear organizer pouch with backup hearing aid batteries, allergy med, nail clipper, Stevia tablets, analgesic; a tiny moleskin notebook and pen; Xmas nano pouch with coins; and my Iphone. This pretty much fills up the bag but I can always stuff in a flat package of wipes and kleenex.

Like you, I think i'm going to offload all my other purses except my one dressup bag which is too gorgeous for words. Once I offload I'll give some thought to additional SEs to join my black/wasabi SE. I did purchase a steel dyneema/wasabi SE recently to suspend in my S25, but it can also be used for a warmer weather carry. The aubergine sounds fabulous to me and I wonder how long I can hold out before acquiring yet another SE.

What I appreciate so much about the SE is that it fits into both my CoPilot and Imago beautifully. This means I don't need to unpack the contents of the SE and repack in my larger bags when they're needed! And I still know exactly where to locate things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I am also resisting the urge to buy one in aubergine/wasabi… After all, classic black meets all my needs and can be carried on any occasion (but the purple speaks to my soul…)
    Go on, you know you want to...

IMG_1965.jpg

(taken after seeing "The Maids", Sydney Theatre Co, starring "our Kate" .. touring in New York in 2014)

1) It’s simple – with no adornments of any kind. This means I can carry it in both business and casual settings. Being so “basic”, it can go with a suit and look ok doing it – basically it can go up to any level of dressiness that does not require sequins/shiny things… (yes, my world of clothes is that simple, events that require sequins, and everything else)
    This is exactly how I feel about mine ... (and sequins .... )
    Last edited by daisy; 01-19-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    List under construction ....

Enabler

I LOVE my SE in black/Iberian. It fits perfectly in my Swift, or I can just grab the SE and dash! Now, I do love its simplicity and that it can go from casual to business, BUT, I've been looking at the new TB carabiners and thinking I could use them for attaching a "dressier" strap for my SE to take it up to formal! I think Dorayme was playing with some bling for hers last year....
    Last edited by Melissa; 01-19-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Aubergine/wasabi is so pretty. It's a gorgeous color. (racking up those Bihn Enabler points). I find the included strap to be too narrow, so I borrow the strap from a Le Sportsac pocket bag.

@YodaSloth, I have: 1) a ZS3 2) a Yoda-nicknamed friend 😀

I also have found that I can live happily out of my N/I SE. I could still go for a S25 if I'm ever able to travel.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I LOVE my SE in black/Iberian. It fits perfectly in my Swift, or I can just grab the SE and dash! Now, I do love its simplicity and that it can go from casual to business, BUT, I've been looking at the new TB carabiners and thinking I could use them for attaching a "dressier" strap for my SE to take it up to formal! I think [dorayme](person) was playing with some bling for hers last year....
    Using the new TB carabiners for that purpose is genius, Melissa!

One of the cheapest way to make a dressier strap is to add chain links from the hardware store for the silver look, they can be dressed up with glittery gold, silver and copper paint.

I also found and pointed out on Dorayme's thread that silver and gold belts find themselves sold in bulk and at deep discounts to overstock stores like Ross or Marshalls in the U.S, or outlet stores. If they have links they can be slipped into the carabiners to become dressy straps.
    Any metal belt can be turned into a strap and other accessories if one is handy with a plier, has some jewellery clasps and wires as well as basic techniques on how to transform them or enough time and handiness to check instructional videos and make it happen.

I ordered a Sternum Strap assembly and could not help notice that the two areas that are used to thread the fabric for the straps can be used to thread ribbons of various widths making it an ideal and modular belt, shoulder strap or even a bracelet.

@roarmouse - wow! Always amazed at what we all have in common

Blinging the Bihn Bags - I had no idea I had missed threads on this - that would open up a whole new world of ideas

Yoda Sloth. You really do "need" a aubergine SE. It is beautiful. The new style and ballistic fabric are must haves.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I too love my SE; I've been carrying it every day since I received it (it's amazing how much it holds!)Name:  sideeffect_inside2314_medium.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  365.7 KB

Yoda, your contents look just like mine from the Vera Bradley accesories to the almonds. I am planning on getting the SE but was going to go with parapack (navy). All my bags are either ballistic or cordura, but after reading your post, I am going to stick with ballistic black just because it is beautiful.

Edit: I just ordered the Side Effect but I actually went with Navy ballistic.
    Last edited by MelissaL; 02-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25, Side Effect,small shop bag, large shop bag, travel tray, 3D Organizer Cube

I had the Aubergine/Wasabi SE on my Wish List and placed an order as soon as it was in stock again. It should arrive today...shall I post photos for you, Yoda Sloth? (Hey, I want Bihn Enabler points, too!)
    moriond likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I have a ridiculous number of SEs. What I don't have is a dynema one. Has anyone tried one? Do you like it? If this question is thread jacking, please just let me know and I'll delete.
    Thanks,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I have the steel Dyneema -- works great getting in and out of pilot. The clear 3D cube; not so much. The plastic sticks. I've got a mesh one enroute because I want to see what's inside.

I use the Dyneema SE as EDC for a wallet/personal items in and out of my larger TB bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moose likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0