Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree21Likes
  • 14 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By Tlacltme
  • 4 Post By terayon
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By Badger

Thread: Synapse 25 and Citizen Canine: 3 Snowy Days in Spectacular Schaumburg

Synapse 25 and Citizen Canine: 3 Snowy Days in Spectacular Schaumburg

For some reason, all of my recent work commitments have taken me to Chicagoland. I'm currently on a professional retreat in Schaumburg, IL. I had a business casual dinner last night and today, an all day deathmarch—erm, I mean, experience of team-building, subcommittee work, and drafting the amendments to my association's bylaws.

I packed all my stuff in my Black Dyneema/Iberian Synapse 25. A certain dwarfish someone has accompanied me, and you'll notice that he packs considerably lighter than I do. Let's get his list out of the way: in the Citizen Canine, there are poo bags, and spare poo bags. Also a few treats, because he is a good dog. (I packed his food/water bowls and baggies of pre-measured kibble into a grocery sack.)

It's been pretty cold lately, so I didn't try to take the absolute minimum. My clothing, which I packed into two Small Aeronaut Packing Cubes and then into the main compartment of the S25, is as follows:

Top: SoftStar Suede Roos in random freebie shoe bag (N.B.: links to different colorway);

Left: three pairs of chonies (see Janine? I brought extra this time) and two pairs of Smartwool socks—one normal pair and one pair with articulated toes;

Right: four T-shirts, a dress shirt, and a natty pink gingham tie (both the shirt and tie were horribly wrinkled so I packed them up small and availed myself of the hotel iron). Not pictured: the clothes I had on my person, which included pants (you're welcome), a hoody, hat, gloves, Gore-Tex boots, and my Patagonia Retro-X jacket, on which I have been most dependent in these inclement conditions.

In the front lower pocket, toiletries and drugs in Steel Dyneema and Black Parapack 3D Organizer Cubes. Nothing too much of interest to point out except that Tropical Emergen-C is the best flavor, and makes a rather tasty cocktail with vodka and OJ.

Contents of the left-side (ultrasuede-lined) pocket: sunglasses and normal glasses. Note mind-boggling thickness of the lenses on the normal glasses.

In the right-side pocket: my beloved Pilot G-2 Limited pen, freebie pen from random book publisher, Shure SE215 earbuds.

In the small front pocket: Field Notes, cough drops, ginger coconut candy (which if you can find by the way is the bomb diggety).

Three guesses of which pocket.

Also in the main compartment: 15" MBP in third-party, non-Cache/non-Rails sleeve; Jackery Bar and Lightning/USB cable in Small Black Ballistic Organizer Pouch; laptop brick and phone charger in Size 2 Iberian Stuff Sack.

Finally, also in the main compartment: my normal EDC accoutrements in Small Steel and Mini Solar Organizer Pouches.

While the S25 is quite full, it really doesn't feel too heavy when I'm wearing it, and I'm very happy to have the extra space to bring some indulgences like a second pair of shoes and a few extra layers, and, it goes without saying, to have Mr. Corgi with me. Well, gotta go build teams and stuff. Catch you all later!

Ha! Always love your posts, Badger. Impressive packing and wonderful photos, thanks.

Just in case your skin dries out in the cold...

Inspired (as always) by what people can fit in the Synapse 25... I am increasingly considering it as my main bag for a 10 day trip to Europe in April... (can't quite figure out how to pack the hiking boots in that scenario, but I digress)

Will have to respectfully disagree on this point:
    "Nothing too much of interest to point out except that Tropical Emergen-C is the best flavor, and makes a rather tasty cocktail with vodka and OJ."

I think Tropical is the worst flavor - as the hints of coconut make me feel like i am drinking sun screen... However, the addition of vodka as a "flavor enhancer" just might do the trick

At the risk of derailing the thread, I see you are carrying the : Shure SE215 earbuds. I keep seeing these popping up in various threads - how do they do on a plane? Does the sound isolation technology do a decent job of keeping out plane drone? I have been using noise canceling headphones, but am tired of carrying them due to size, so would love to find a smaller set - but only if it mutes all the plane noises...

The solution to the hiking shoes is to wear them onto the plane. You can take them off once on board and stuff them under the seat and put on your toms or fivefingers or softstars and be comfortable.

I refuse to concede on the awesomeness of tropical flavor emergen-c. I will have a duel with you. Well, probably not, but I will say that all emergen-c is good in screwdriver-type cocktails.

The Shures are good. I've only flown with this pair once, but I felt like they did a good job of blocking plane noise. NB: they do take a bit of getting used to because they wrap around your ear and then get inserted. It's hard to explain, but you can read the amazon reviews and get a sense of how un/comfortable people find them. In general I think the fit is fine and my hearing gets much less fatigued when I'm wearing them vs. my cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tCook likes this.

Well, wearing the boots would disturb my airport security Zen, but, it might be worth it to have less baggage. Hadn't thought of wearing Toms on the plane - thanks for that great idea! (and for the Shure feedback)

I think I can take you in a duel, as long as I don't drink the vodka until after...

These are great photos and packing. I always seem to learn something when reading these posts.

As far as my contribution to the noise isolation/cancellation. I have a friend who, up until recently, was in the industry. He let me try a few different models but the general consensus are that the Shures and Etymotic styles are the very best. They isolate the sound rather than cancel it and don't have any electronic circuitry, need batteries, and are much more travel friendly. I ended up with Etymotic HF5. They are fantastic although it does take some time to get used to wearing them. They also have an app (at least they do for iOS) called Awareness! which allows you to turn on the phone's microphone. This is really a cool feature when you need to talk to someone or want to monitor your surroundings. You can adjust the volume so its either really quiet in the background or you can use it to amplify everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    Well, wearing the boots would disturb my airport security Zen, but, it might be worth it to have less baggage. Hadn't thought of wearing Toms on the plane - thanks for that great idea! (and for the Shure feedback)

I think I can take you in a duel, as long as I don't drink the vodka until after...
    It's totally worth it to have less baggage. When I wear hiking boots onto the plane, here's how I manage:
    1) Before I even approach security, I empty my pockets, take off my belt, and loosen the laces on my shoes. I grab my boarding pass and ID.
    2) While in line, I pull out my laptop if I have the misfortune of carrying it, and my 311 bag if I'm not using a tethered Clear 3D OP.
    3) I show the TSA person my ID/pass and, while s/he is inspecting, slip off my shoes. Get my ID/pass back and stuff them in my bag with my pocket contents.
    4) Go through the laser-nudie/pat-down conga like usual, then reassemble myself on the other side.

Not very hard. I wear hiking shoes on about 50% of my flights and I don't think of them as really that much more difficult than any other footwear besides slippers (flip-flops, zori, what have you).

I advise you drink the vodka pre-duel, because only Badger has post-duel cocktails.
    SusanM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's totally worth it to have less baggage. When I wear hiking boots onto the plane, here's how I manage....
    The alternative is TSA Pre Check; leaving your shoes and belt on and your liquids and laptop in you bag is a breath of fresh air. It's included with Global Entry, which is $100 for 5 years (and a bit of privacy, but let's not kid ourselves and pretend privacy exists anyone.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0