• 5 Post By Mausermama
  • 3 Post By dorayme
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By Miking
  • 2 Post By dorayme
  • 3 Post By Mausermama
  • 4 Post By Miking
  • 2 Post By JLE

Thread: So my Side Effect makes a good purse huh?

So my Side Effect makes a good purse huh?

There is something about a Tom Bihn bag that screams quality. Maybe it's the rich materials, maybe it is the transcendental craftsmanship that goes into every bag and accessory, perhaps it is the attention to design with flowing lines, fine details and perfectly placed pockets. Form and function twisting in a fervent dance, it's beauty juxtaposed with it's utilitarianism.

Whatever the reason it makes our bags coveted items. They fall prey to the scheming eyes of our friends and loved ones. Like the spotless yet well appointed bathroom of the seasoned bachelor they see it as a blank canvas for their stuff. It starts out innocently enough, you let them use it as a compact purse on a day trip. A while later when the zipper on their inferior purse breaks, you offer to let them use your under utilized bag and the next thing you know they have claimed it for their own!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  373.8 KB
    The culprit at dinner!

I am sure many of you can relate. To start a Tom Bihn forum tradition of shaming those that have stolen our bags and in honor of all who have had their bags and accessories stripped from them before they could take the time to realize their full potential I present: Take my bag and I will embarrass you by spreading out the contents of your purse for thousands of people to see!

It's about to get real kids!

Views: 806
Size:  475.8 KB
    Top to bottom, left to right

Blister pack of Reactine in Forest/Nordic pocket pouch- I never thought of using it for that but it fits perfectly.
    Keys, complete with Mj÷lnir. Forged deep in the hallowed halls of Ni­avellir and given away free with the purchase of a large soft drink at the theatre.
    Frog wallet. Takes up most of the Side Effect, could easily be replaced with clear organizer wallet.
    Pay stub. Mo money mo problems!
    Funny magnet. Funnier because they work there. (Heritage park is a western style historical village)
Views: 970
Size:  382.0 KB
    Some sort of first aid field dressing... shaped to be aerodynamic...smells like flowers...
    Bottle with pills and slips of paper inside that say "put down the hammer" and "vehicular manslaughter is wrong"
    Lottery ticket stubs, that will probably never be claimed.
    Pile of crumpled receipts, ready to be remitted to an accountant!

Views: 851
Size:  255.1 KB
    Part deux!
    Free range Reactine, it's supposed to be healthier for you. Hydrochlorides aren't meant to be cooped up.
    Expired McDonalds Monopoly tokens. Someone missed out on a muffin!
    One mint, now in my mouth.
    Reese's peanut butter cup wrapper
    McCafe reward card, only six more to go!
    Used Kleenex... Ewww
    Mail in rebate for Delorme personal locator beacon
    Anti-bacterial hand lotion, because people can't take a damn sick day!
    Asthma inhaler, ventolin flavored
    Leatherman Squirt, it slices it dices, it makes coleslaw out of cabbage... or the skin you pinch between the handles.
    Business cards and movie stubs, you will notice it is more orderly than the receipts.
    Edo Japan napkins, crumpled.

Well I hope you have all enjoyed this voyeuristic look into what can happen when you take someone's Tom Bihn stuff, and let this serve as a warning to those would-be bag thiefs!
    Last edited by Miking; 12-21-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Spelling

I know exactly what you mean. I just won a much-coveted cocoa/olive large cafe bag on eBay, and already my son is eyeing it like it's his! The nerve! I don't even have a cafe bag in any size other than this new arrival. Instead, I have been shuffling my gear in between an Imago, a Swift, a Synapse 19, a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, a Little Swift, and of course my ubiquitous Side Effect. Let's not go into the luggage or the accessories, shall we? So I think it is abundantly clear that I need this bag (besides, what the kid doesn't know yet is that he's getting a Brain Bag for Christmas!). A little sympathy here?

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    This is a clear shout out that the guilty parties need their own TB paraphanelia. I've been a fan of TB bags since '07. When I discovered the varying usefulness, I started planning which bags and accessories to buy for my children. They know the rules, and would never take without asking permission. At this stage, they don't/ have to, each child has small, medium and large (luggage sized) TB bags of their own.
    Of course, the oldest is 10 and he has no interest in stealing mommy's bags. My situation and subsequent feelings may be different when I'm dealing with teenagers.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I had myself quite a few chuckles over morning coffee with this thread, Miking. So....are you now morally obligated to make available detritus pouches for the SE because it is being daily besmirched by "stuff"? I use my SE as my daily purse and use the TB wallet. But, I don't know if I could give up that red eyed tree frog wallet in your photo, even for a TB product. That being the case, there isn't much room for anything else, is there? So maybe you're off the moral obligation hook.
    Miking likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Lucky kids!!!! Pretty spoiled if you ask me! And teenagers... No one understands teenagers, including the teenagers themselves! The tree frog wallet is pretty cool looking and fits in the side effect perfectly, it just doesn't leave tons of room for much else.

I tease her a lot but I'm glad that the side effect is getting daily use. I dont have much use for an "every day carry" bag, my EDC "load out" fits in my pockets. On a typical day that is bi-fold wallet with a flat pen tucked inside, keys with small knifeless Leatherman attached, wrist watch and an iPhone. If I want to go really extravagent and I am wearing a hoodie or jacket I will add a pocketable camera. If I am going on a short hike I will add a knife and small bic lighter. I would really be the most boring member of EDCforums.com!

On my next order I might order a few extra organizer pouches to help her wrangle the small things, and to make up for posting pictures of her feminine hygiene products in a public forum. I think with a little organization she could fit at least a small makeup kit in there as well.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    @ Miking, of course they are spoiled, that's our job as their parents to spoil them with all that we can give them. An introduction to their personal Lord and Savior, love, discipline, values and appropriate gifts are a part of what we have to offer to our children. I wouldn't feel as though I were being a good parent if I offered less.

btw, I covet the frog wallet.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

My boy is getting his first Tom Bihn. He's almost ready for college, and I expect it will be well-loved and appreciated.

@dorayme, all the pictures of your kids on the forum have them with giant smiles so you must be doing it right! It really shows how proud you are of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    My boy is getting his first Tom Bihn. He's almost ready for college, and I expect it will be well-loved and appreciated.
    I am sure he will love his brain bag, I also expect he will be the only one in his classes to make it all the way through college without ripping bag after bag to shreds hauling text books.

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post

On my next order I might order a few extra organizer pouches to help her wrangle the small things, and to make up for posting pictures of her feminine hygiene products in a public forum. I think with a little organization she could fit at least a small makeup kit in there as well.
    I have been really conflicted by this thread! . On the one hand, I know how it feels when one's TB bags are "borrowed" (a big shout out to my husband and my Tri Star). But on the other hand, you did post pictures of her personal items and everyone knows the contents of a lady's handbag are private....

I think some OPs are the least you could do....

Do they even haul textbooks anymore? I thought we were in the digital age now! As a homeschooler, I am woefully uninformed on this particular aspect of college life. I'm assuming he will need a backpack, though.

Speaking as a mom of a kid in college, oh, yes, they haul text books, big ones. And their cost will take your breath away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.