Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RasJean
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By monkeylady

Thread: First time traveling to Africa. Aeronaut, 2 small TB PC and 2 large TB PC

First time traveling to Africa. Aeronaut, 2 small TB PC and 2 large TB PC

Greetings and Good Afternoon, I am traveling to Africa on the 28th until the 25th of Jan. The Following countries I will be visiting will be Tanzania, Kenya, and Ethiopia. Traveling at this magnitude is very new to me however I am confident that I can pull it off.

My layover countries\cities inbound will be Cairo and outbound will be Bahrain and London( Hoping to do some sightseeing during the Layovers)

I will be in Tanzania from Dec 30th to Jan 8th and from there I will be traveling to Mombasa, Kenya via bus for 3-4 days then to Nairobi for 3 days via Train soon after flying to Ethiopia .

lol, This is my first trip and I have no IDEA what to pack and how to pack.. Please help.. Thanks

* I would love to carry some small souvenirs if possible back. Also, a friend of mine meeting me there would love for me to bring a bag of Reeses pieces to them .
    Male from New York City.
    Last edited by RasJean; 12-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Darcy likes this.

What is the weather usually like there at this time of year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    RasJean likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

And what will be your activities?

What a trip!

RasJean likes this.

I will be visiting Zanzibar as well as doing a Safari etc- Tanzania. I plan to visit a Historical places as well as experience a dhow.-Kenya
    Ethiopia-Lalibela, Aksum,

According to a friend, It's usually pretty warm.

If you own any quick drying travel clothing, you'll do fine. (REI, Columbia, and ExOficio are all good sources), 3 pr underwear, 1-2 long pants (1 pr. Convertible is good), 1 pair shorts or capris, (not sure what the modesty standards are), no more than 4-5 tops (2 long sleeve qwik dry if in malaria/dengue areas), a wind/rain shell, merino top and bottom base layers in microweight (Icebreakers has great stuff), a fleece, 3 pr shoes, good walking shoes, hat, a daypack and you should be fine. Some pack flip flops for shower or just hanging out. You'll have more than enough room in your Aeronaut, maybe too much. If you're planning to do any nights on the town, then you'll have to consider an addition or two. Then there's the techno gear....wholly personal what each of us carries. If in malaria regions, consult your doc for meds for that anf other nastinesses. Hope this begins to help.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    If you own any quick drying travel clothing, you'll do fine. (REI, Columbia, and ExOficio are all good sources), 3 pr underwear, 1-2 long pants (1 pr. Convertible is good), 1 pair shorts or capris, (not sure what the modesty standards are), no more than 4-5 tops (2 long sleeve qwik dry if in malaria/dengue areas), a wind/rain shell, merino top and bottom base layers in microweight (Icebreakers has great stuff), a fleece, 3 pr shoes, good walking shoes, hat, a daypack and you should be fine. Some pack flip flops for shower or just hanging out. You'll have more than enough room in your Aeronaut, maybe too much. If you're planning to do any nights on the town, then you'll have to consider an addition or two. Then there's the techno gear....wholly personal what each of us carries. If in malaria regions, consult your doc for meds for that anf other nastinesses. Hope this begins to help.
    Yes , this is definitely a great start. I am a Man( I forgot to mention that lol). I plan to do perhaps 3 instances of partying so I would love to accomodate those activities. I don't own any quick drying clothing but I will put in an order ASAP. Thanks

Thanks for the start . I forgot to mention that I am a Man and I will be possibly be doing between 2-3 instances of Partying . I don't own ANY quick drying clothing yet however I will definitely stop by REI this weekend.

Many of our animal spotting trips started very early in the morning or in late afternoon, where the temperature out on the open plains dropped a few degrees.

A lot of people swear by merino wool (from Icebreakers) for both warm AND cool weather. Smart Wool is the brand that REI mostly carries and a few Icebreaker pieces. REI's house brand of quick dry clothing (shirts and pants) are good quality and significantly less expensive than well known travel labels. My husband travels with 2 pr. Convertible pants and one pair non-convertible which serves as dress up pants with a black wool short sleeve IceBreaker crew. He also takes a short sleeved merino wool crew, 2 REI qwik dry SS Tees, and two qwik dry long sleeved shirts with roll up sleeves. The long sleeves are all for sun protection and hopefully a barrier to bugs.

Oh, and his Tilley hat.

Oops. He takes a LS merino crew for dress up or a warmth layer.

Because of the humidity in Uganda (in July), I preferred cotton blend shirts, rather than "tech" fabrics. They took a long time to dry, but I couldn't bear polyester and don't tolerate wool. We were in Kampala in the city, rather than upcountry. Nasty mosquitoes were a problem at night, so I needed long sleeves and pants for protection. During the day, I wore skirts, as was the cultural expectation for our activities.

Thanks for all the Advice people, I was away for a bit .

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0