Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By jmoz
  • 2 Post By jmoz
  • 4 Post By JLE
  • 4 Post By jeffmac
  • 2 Post By jmoz

Thread: First trip with TS, input welcome, accessory suggestion

First trip with TS, input welcome, accessory suggestion

So, this is my fist trip with my new Navy/Solar TS (and my first TB trip). I wanted to show the packing list, solicit any feedback, and also make an accessory suggestions to the TB crew.

First: the fully-packed bag:
    Name:  IMG_20131116_084243885.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  81.4 KB
    A bit overloaded looking, I guess, but not too bad.

The contents of the front pockets:
    Name:  IMG_20131116_084501610.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  112.3 KB
    Kindle Touch, boarding pass, passport, Vapur water bottle, reading glasses....

Front section contents:
    Name:  IMG_20131116_084659051.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  142.7 KB
    Medium cube: Socks, underwear, work-out clothes
    Small cube: dressier shoes + case containing Headblade (razor for shaving head)

Back section:
    Name:  IMG_20131116_084859601.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  45.1 KB
    Folded sport jacket under straps
    Large packing cube containing: 3 dress shirts, 2 pair of dress pants

Middle section:
    Name:  IMG_20131116_085334726.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  80.1 KB
    Macbook Air (11") in cache (using rails)
    Belt
    Clear 3D organizer cube with toiletries (with the long keystrap)
    ***12.5L Patagonia MiniMass with chargers, etc.

First, I'm amazed at the TARDIS-like capabilities of this bag.

Second, if anyone has suggestions how to pack things differently that would be an improvement, that would be awesome.

Third, I have an accessory/bag suggestion for TB crew. I need the MiniMass because I need a briefcase to use at the conference, but it's still a bit bulky. I would LOVE a very small bag that meets the following requirements:
    1) Very compact. Packing-cube-like would be ideal.
    2) Will accept a cache which holds an 11" MBA
    3) Perhaps (?) clips into the Annex clips in the TS in such a way that it can still be used to be checkpoint friendly
    4) Will accept a shoulder strap (i.e. the Absolute I'm already carrying.)
    5) Will maybe hold a pair of glasses, a charger, and a program book for a conference.
    This would be beautiful out of the parapack, but even the Dyneema might work. Or does this exist and I'm missing it?

Thanks for everyone's patience with my first major post....

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post

Third, I have an accessory/bag suggestion for TB crew. I need the MiniMass because I need a briefcase to use at the conference, but it's still a bit bulky. I would LOVE a very small bag that meets the following requirements:
    1) Very compact. Packing-cube-like would be ideal.
    2) Will accept a cache which holds an 11" MBA
    3) Perhaps (?) clips into the Annex clips in the TS in such a way that it can still be used to be checkpoint friendly
    4) Will accept a shoulder strap (i.e. the Absolute I'm already carrying.)
    5) Will maybe hold a pair of glasses, a charger, and a program book for a conference.
    This would be beautiful out of the parapack, but even the Dyneema might work. Or does this exist and I'm missing it?

Thanks for everyone's patience with my first major post....
    It sounds like what your describing is a smaller version of the founders briefcase.
    (Without the annex clips)

Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    It sounds like what your describing is a smaller version of the founders briefcase.
    (Without the annex clips)
    Close, but not exactly. I'd prefer not to have all the organization of the founder's briefcase, and I'd like it to use the cache rather than a built-in laptop compartment. Really, I think a larger version of the PCSB with rail loops inside and the loops to connect to annex clips on the outside would be awesome. (I'd prefer parapack or ballistic nylon to dyneema, but I'd be ok with the dyneema.)

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Close, but not exactly. I'd prefer not to have all the organization of the founder's briefcase, and I'd like it to use the cache rather than a built-in laptop compartment. Really, I think a larger version of the PCSB with rail loops inside and the loops to connect to annex clips on the outside would be awesome. (I'd prefer parapack or ballistic nylon to dyneema, but I'd be ok with the dyneema.)
    I agree with this suggestion. I think the conceptual scheme of the TS would be complete with an ultra-slim laptop brief that fitted the central compartment. I'd make it out of parapack with no stiffening so it could be flattened inside the bag depending on the contents. I'd want the cache with rails system in it and a couple of interior pockets to hold chargers and other small items. And maybe a single flat pocket on the outside somewhere.

I think it would be the perfect complement to the TS!

I have to agree that I would LOVE a briefcase that would fit perfectly in the middle section of a TS.

The trip is in-progress, and so-far, so good. No wrinkling of the jacket, and it was soooo easy/quick on Amtrak. (which is, to be honest, easy to begin with, but that's one of the perks of living in the Northeast.) Walking around the lines of people with rolling bags was a nice change.

The only "problem" was a weird sense of anxiety that I must have forgotten something with one bag (plus a poster tube, but that's unavoidable.) That said, I'm hoping that tomorrow (i.e. Monday), the TB people will look at the thread and weigh in on whether the briefcase idea might catch on.

I'm using my Smart Alec this weekend, and am on Amtrak right now, headed from Washington into NJ. It was a fantastic weekend getaway bag, and I'm glad I used it. I have to agree with you about the ease of travel on Amtrak here in the northeast - so much simpler than driving.

Have you looked at the co-pilot? I don't know if it will fit a cache, but I've read people fitting an 11in air in it. I was using a headporter 3way bag (it has hidden backpack straps and weighs a little more than 2lbs) and it fits perfectly in the center section while accommodating a 15inch macbook pro. What I envision is something like the brain cell just a tad thicker with a pouch in the back like the freudian slip, for some paper or a magazine, etc.

I don't like my dress shoes getting squished in the tristar so I stuff them with socks and underwear so the leather keeps its shape better. I've also packed a suit coat, dress pants, and dress shirts in the large packing cube with little to no wrinkling on the coat and pants, and wrinkling on the arms of the shirt, so I felt it was a success in that respect.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    Have you looked at the co-pilot? I don't know if it will fit a cache, but I've read people fitting an 11in air in it.
    You can fit an 11" MacBook Air into a CoPilot, but only just, and you don't have room to use a cache. You might be able to use a minimalist close-fitting plastic shell. There's currently nothing in the product line that is "briefcase-like" that would be a minimalist bag and fit in the center section of the Tri-Star.

I've used my Co-Pilot for carrying my 11" Air in a slim sleeve, and that's worked well for me.

There was a thread somewhere on the forums about someone getting the smaller 11"/iPad version of the cadet in the center TriStar compartment. I'm bad at searching the forums, but you may be able to find it on here somewhere.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fdiaz64 View Post
    There was a thread somewhere on the forums about someone getting the smaller 11"/iPad version of the cadet in the center TriStar compartment. I'm bad at searching the forums, but you may be able to find it on here somewhere.
    The problem is that the Cadet for the iPad/11" MacBook Air is no longer being made. I posted a link to an eBay auction that closed yesterday for one of these in the Cadet 15/13 not listed thread, since one of posters was asking for this. Closing price was $103.50, including shipping. I think we're all thinking of a more compact design, since with the padded walls the Cadet would take up a good chunk of the width of the central compartment of the Tri-Star.

I'm really thinking of a larger version of the packing cube shoulder bag, but maybe in the new Parapack and with the straps for the annex clips and the loops for the cache rails. I think everyone has a slightly different vision of what this should be, but there does seem to be something of a consensus that a solution will be useful, and the lighter/thinner, the better. That's why I'm thinking this should perhaps be kept more towards an accessory than a full bag.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The problem is that the Cadet for the iPad/11" MacBook Air is no longer being made. I posted a link to an eBay auction that closed yesterday for one of these in the Cadet 15/13 not listed thread, since one of posters was asking for this. Closing price was $103.50, including shipping. I think we're all thinking of a more compact design, since with the padded walls the Cadet would take up a good chunk of the width of the central compartment of the Tri-Star.
    Ah I had not realized that. I don't stalk the cadet page like I do the TriStar or Aeronaut page.

For the record, the trip was a success, and the Tri-Star served me quite well. I ended up having a few unexpected hours of free time before my train, so I was able to go to the Smithsonian (Natural History this time). Having the backpack straps meant the large amount of walking I did (~3 miles) was easy, while with a rolling bag, it would have been miserable (or impossible.) I'm thoroughly sold on the Tri-Star for my work travel.... (Probably my leisure travel, too, if I ever get time for leisure-travel.)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0