Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By i_clavdivs
  • 1 Post By i_clavdivs
  • 5 Post By i_clavdivs
  • 1 Post By Beau
  • 1 Post By terayon

Thread: My new Tom Bihn gear

My new Tom Bihn gear

I received my first order from Tom Bihn last night, so have spent a bit of time getting to know my new luggage. I just did a practise pack (cos that's how I roll) for a short trip to SF at Xmas, and once 90% of the items were packed away, I hoisted the load easily onto my back and then shoulder without any issue. I'm going to take it out for a walk around the neighbourhood at the weekend just to see how comfortable it is, but I can't imagine any problems.

Here's my list:
    Day bag

Clothing
    Buff
    Glasses cleaning cloth
    Hoodies (wear 1, carry 1)
    Jacket (wear)
    Jocks & Socks
    Trousers (wear 1, carry 1)
    4 T-shirts
    Walking shoes (wear)
    Cap/hat

Toiletries
    Cotton buds
    Deodorant
    Lip Balm
    Medicine Anadin
    Toothbrush & Toothpaste
    Listerine Strips
    EDT

Gadgets
    Headtorch
    Monocular
    Sunglasses
    Book/Magazine/Kindle
    Driving Licence
    Ear plugs and eyemask
    Headphones
    iPhone
    Money
    Passport
    Personal Laptop & Mouse
    Camera
    Chargers (Camera, iPhone, Laptop, Kindle)
    International adapter

Printouts
    Car reservations
    Flight reservations
    Hotel reservations
    Itinerary & directions
    Route maps
    Travel Insurance

Photos to come...

Pictures

Name:  IMG_3355 (Small).JPG
Views: 899
Size:  85.6 KB
    1. The unboxening: What, no hand drawn picture?!

Name:  IMG_3356 (Small).JPG
Views: 905
Size:  113.9 KB
    2. Ooh, that's a lot of Dyneema!

Name:  IMG_3361 (Small).JPG
Views: 947
Size:  126.4 KB
    3. The complete collection. Clockwise from bottom: Aeronaut in Forest/Steel; size 1 Cache; 2 Clear Organizer Pouches in Iberian and possible Olive; 1 Travel Tray in Iberian; 1 Clear Quarter Packing Cube in Iberian; 1 Travel Stuff Sack Large in Iberian (I like red!); 1 Travel Stuff Sack Medium in Ultraviolet; 2 Small Packing Cubes.

Not pictured: the 4 key straps of various hues and you can just about make the Absolute strap attached to the Aeronaut.

Name:  IMG_3371 (Small).JPG
Views: 906
Size:  102.9 KB
    4. Most of my packing list for a week in SF.

Name:  IMG_3370 (Small).JPG
Views: 956
Size:  110.5 KB
    5. Left end pocket: Eagle Creek packing cube with underwear and socks. Nobody wants to see that. Also, clear ziplock bag with small liquid toiletries. I've used a ziplock for years, but I'll see how I feel about it after this trip, may need to get something more structured.

Name:  IMG_3369 (Small).JPG
Views: 929
Size:  157.5 KB
    6. Small stuff sack with various cables and gadgets. You can see the battery charger for my camera, my moncular, my adapter, my head torch, a pen and a plug. There's other stuff underneath it. Also, this sack will hold my money (in bank bags) and anything else I need to get in at the last moment.

Name:  IMG_3368 (Small).JPG
Views: 922
Size:  112.2 KB
    7. Right end pocket: Small stuff sack, a couple of key straps just in case and my Day Pack all rolled up (this rolls up into itself quite neatly, but I'm using it later so didn't bother). There's a load more room in here still.

Name:  IMG_3367 (Small).JPG
Views: 895
Size:  99.0 KB
    8. Small packing cube holding 4 rolled shirts and a buff. Again, could fit a lot more in here before it started to become a problem.

Name:  IMG_3366 (Small).JPG
Views: 890
Size:  152.3 KB
    9. Main compartment: on left, small packing cube as above; on right, hiking trousers and a hoody, both rolled. So. Much. Space.

Name:  IMG_3365 (Small).JPG
Views: 897
Size:  168.1 KB
    10. Cache on top of contents of previous photo in main compartment

Name:  IMG_3364 (Small).JPG
Views: 888
Size:  152.4 KB
    11. Organizer Pouches on top of Cache. One holds my passport and will also contain any e-tickets, reservations etc I have. The other at the moment holds my 'plane pack', so basically my Kindle, eye mask and head phones. Ear plugs, toothbrush, iPhone will also go in here on the actual trip. Both are connected to the O-ring in the main compartment. I'll probably swap these and the Cache on the trip as the Cache will need to come out at security.

Name:  IMG_3363 (Small).JPG
Views: 924
Size:  151.1 KB
    12. All zipped up and ready to go.

Not pictured: things I've not found a use for yet; the travel tray, the clear quarter org cube, the large travel sack. Also have a second small packing cube, but not needed on this trip.

Hope you enjoy the photos. I do have some questions that occurred to me as I packed:

1. What do people usually do with the strap when carrying the Aeronaut on their back? It just sort of hangs there? I'm guessing you unbuckle it and stuff it in the back pocket, but I'm open to other ideas.

2. What sorts of things are people putting in the outer pockets of an Aeronaut, in particular the one without the zipper? It's deep but quite narrow and anything in it is going to get knocked around by whatever is in the end pockets. Niether pocket is particuarly easy to get to with the Aeronaut on your back.

3. Also, what are people finding the top mesh flap useful for? I was thinking of putting the Org pouches in there, they fit ok, but getting them out involves folding.

4. I got a bag of zipper pulls with my order but the video on YT on how to construct is a little dark, is it just a case of pushing the cord into the inner bit from the side until it sticks?

Once I've lived out of these bags for a week, I'll come back and give my reviews but so far I'm not regretting the rather large investment, and already have a few things on my next order list.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    4. I got a bag of zipper pulls with my order but the video on YT on how to construct is a little dark, is it just a case of pushing the cord into the inner bit from the side until it sticks?
    That's right! With one end of the cord shoved into the side, weave the free end through that hollow plastic piece. Then, push the cord through the hole of the metal zipper, slip it back through the hollow plastic piece, and shove that free end into the other side of the clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    Hope you enjoy the photos. I do have some questions that occurred to me as I packed:

1. What do people usually do with the strap when carrying the Aeronaut on their back? It just sort of hangs there? I'm guessing you unbuckle it and stuff it in the back pocket, but I'm open to other ideas.
    I don't use the shoulder strap much - I mostly carry it on my back or by the handle - but I have just tossed the strap in the main compartment when I did bring it along.

2. What sorts of things are people putting in the outer pockets of an Aeronaut, in particular the one without the zipper? It's deep but quite narrow and anything in it is going to get knocked around by whatever is in the end pockets. Niether pocket is particuarly easy to get to with the Aeronaut on your back.
    I have put a folded magazine in those pockets. I could also see using them for travel documents, though I generally keep the important stuff like my passport on me.

3. Also, what are people finding the top mesh flap useful for? I was thinking of putting the Org pouches in there, they fit ok, but getting them out involves folding.
    I put non-311 toiletries and/or my iPad cord and tech stuff in there.

Can't help you here as I've never put those on myself.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0