Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By Ms. Ferret
  • 9 Post By Ms. Ferret
  • 1 Post By Ms. Ferret
  • 1 Post By Ms. Ferret

Thread: 2 weeks in Iceland/UK

2 weeks in Iceland/UK

I've been in Reykjavik since yesterday morning, and it is beautiful! I love the weather here -- sunny yesterday, snowing this morning -- it makes Seattle look almost predictable in comparison.

I was originally going to bring just my Synapse 19 on this trip, but since I'm bringing a bunch of American snacks for my UK friends (that Specter half-cube is full of junk food), I decided to buy a Co-Pilot to take as well (also, more room == more souvenirs).

Not pictured: S19, Co-Pilot, flip-flops, and the clothes I'm wearing today (jeans, wool T-shirt, wool hoodie, loden vest, cashmere shawl, boots).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ms. Ferret; 10-24-2013 at 03:35 AM.

OK, for some reason Tapatalk only uploaded the photo of my toiletries, and I did bring a bit more than that. Here's the full photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you tell us more about your non toiletries packing list?

What is on top the Teal Pouch with a Spork? The item is purple.

What kind of electronics did you bring?

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Can you tell us more about your non toiletries packing list?

What is on top the Teal Pouch with a Spork? The item is purple.

What kind of electronics did you bring?
    Sure! The top row is my SCB, teal laundry bag, small orange towel, 2 Specter quarter cubes (orange is socks/underwear/long underwear, green is swimsuit/sarong), nylon trousers, an extra wool shirt, a tank top, striped pajama bottoms, teal rain jacket, black wool hat/balaclava/thing, and a Specter half cube full of gift junk food.

The second row is my 3D toiletries bag, tiny tubes of toothpaste, moisturizer, and sunblock, motivational narwhal, bottle opener, small reusable shopping bag, folded water bottle, pen/pencil/eyeliners, small azalea digital camera on top of RWB Pocket Pouch (backpack, I think this is what you were asking about), electronics (iPod nano, mini phone holder/tripod, Nook HD cable, earbuds, microUSB SD card reader), and a Small OP with more electronics (adapter + USB charger, extra silicone earbud things in a plastic bag, microSD adapter, short USB cables).

Third row is more toiletries, a pink mesh zip pouch of laundry stuff (shaker bottle of Charlie's Soap and a clothesline) on top of a gray half Salux washcloth, bag o'vitamins, Small clear OP of stuff I really hope I won't need (medicine, moleskin, Lunette), TB wallet with interchangeable needles and knitting gear, Kiwi/Wasabi Pocket Pouch with lip balm/lipstick/Vitamin D drops/tiny flat aluminum mirror (below)/tweezers, Mini clear OP (makeup bag), Mini teal OP with spork, chopsticks, sunglasses, eyeglasses, folding BT keyboard, and my Nook HD.

Bottom row is my Black Dyneema SE with playing cards and a backscratcher, Passport & wallet in pouch, more stuff I hope I won't need (shoe grips, money belt, Howsarlock), homemade notebook, earplugs, and eye mask.

So far I feel like I brought just enough stuff (I also had room to buy some lightweight Icelandic wool accessories to supplement my cold-weather wardrobe today, since I am doing some nighttime tours). It was definitely nice to be able to get on airport shuttles first, since I didn't have to wait in line for the driver to stow my luggage.
    Hollie likes this.

motivational narwhal? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    Sure! The top row is my SCB, teal laundry bag, small orange towel, 2 Specter quarter cubes (orange is socks/underwear/long underwear, green is swimsuit/sarong), nylon trousers, an extra wool shirt, a tank top, striped pajama bottoms, teal rain jacket, black wool hat/balaclava/thing, and a Specter half cube full of gift junk food.

The second row is my 3D toiletries bag, tiny tubes of toothpaste, moisturizer, and sunblock, motivational narwhal, bottle opener, small reusable shopping bag, folded water bottle, pen/pencil/eyeliners, small azalea digital camera on top of RWB Pocket Pouch (backpack, I think this is what you were asking about), electronics (iPod nano, mini phone holder/tripod, Nook HD cable, earbuds, microUSB SD card reader), and a Small OP with more electronics (adapter + USB charger, extra silicone earbud things in a plastic bag, microSD adapter, short USB cables).

Third row is more toiletries, a pink mesh zip pouch of laundry stuff (shaker bottle of Charlie's Soap and a clothesline) on top of a gray half Salux washcloth, bag o'vitamins, Small clear OP of stuff I really hope I won't need (medicine, moleskin, Lunette), TB wallet with interchangeable needles and knitting gear, Kiwi/Wasabi Pocket Pouch with lip balm/lipstick/Vitamin D drops/tiny flat aluminum mirror (below)/tweezers, Mini clear OP (makeup bag), Mini teal OP with spork, chopsticks, sunglasses, eyeglasses, folding BT keyboard, and my Nook HD.

Bottom row is my Black Dyneema SE with playing cards and a backscratcher, Passport & wallet in pouch, more stuff I hope I won't need (shoe grips, money belt, Howsarlock), homemade notebook, earplugs, and eye mask.

So far I feel like I brought just enough stuff (I also had room to buy some lightweight Icelandic wool accessories to supplement my cold-weather wardrobe today, since I am doing some nighttime tours). It was definitely nice to be able to get on airport shuttles first, since I didn't have to wait in line for the driver to stow my luggage.
    Thank you so much!

I was indeed wondering what the Azalea camera was.

Where did you get the cute plush narwal, the back scratcher and the shoe grips?

I am extremely impressed at your ability to pack for Europe in a Synapse 19/Co Pilot pair.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Thank you so much!

I was indeed wondering what the Azalea camera was.

Where did you get the cute plush narwal, the back scratcher and the shoe grips?

I am extremely impressed at your ability to pack for Europe in a Synapse 19/Co Pilot pair.
    The little camera works great, but next time I think I'll be looking for a new one that charges via USB cable vs. external charger. I didn't bother bringing the separate battery charger with me as I figured I wouldn't need it, but my battery was a quarter gone after going on a few tours (admittedly I did waste quite a few shots trying to get pictures of the cute fluffy Icelandic sheep and horses) and I feel I conserved my "real camera" use more than I would have if I'd brought the charger.

The mini narwhal is from the Squishable website a while back -- I brought him along to represent Mr. Ferret since I did this trip solo. I picked up the telescoping back scratcher at a local chain drugstore in Seattle (they usually have them in the impulse buy section) and left it with my friend in London, since they don't seem to be as widely available there.

I got the shoe grips (Yaktrax) many years ago, so I think I got them at REI but I'm not sure. I'm super glad I brought these, as the long, steep path down to a waterfall I visited was iced over and would have been dangerous without them.

I have the world's most boring everyday wardrobe, so packing almost no extra clothes is easy for me (especially for cold weather -- people are only going to see my raincoat or hoodie/vest most of the time anyway). It was really nice to have so little to carry, as far as staying mobile in multiple cities (walking from the guesthouse to the bus station in Reykjavik was a piece of cake, as was navigating the Underground to/from Heathrow airport), but I did have to maintain pretty good shopping discipline and buy mostly tiny, portable gifts and souvenirs. I'm going to bring a packable down parka next time (Fall nighttime tours in Iceland are COLD), but I packed several things I didn't need this time, and I found that my raincoat can double as a backpack cover vs. being stowed inside, so I'll have enough room. Especially if I don't buy yarn.
    Hollie likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0