Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By monkeylady

Thread: A Week at Oregon Coast with Synapse 25 and Packing Cube with Shoulder Strap

Cool A Week at Oregon Coast with Synapse 25 and Packing Cube with Shoulder Strap

I recently returned from a car trip to the beautiful Oregon coast. As we had our lovely old lab Ella and food packed for an army (we were meeting up and bunking with my daughter's family of four), I decided to one-bag pack for the week with my new Synapse 25. In it went two pairs of pants, both convertible, 1 lightweight shirt, 3 LS tech Ts, underwear, socks, sandals, quarterzip pullover, rain shell, travel tray (containing bedtime miscellaneous, plus chargers for phone, ipad mini, and Kindle), toiletries kit, flashlights, large solar stuff sack (which my husband and I used to store dirty laundry). Into my UV packing cube with shoulder strap went Ipad mini, phone, Kindle, various organizer pouches (first aid kit, and other bits), pencil pouch, notebook, wallet. The Synapse did its job admirably as I knew it would, but I was blown away with the capacity and comfort of the little packing cube. During the day when shopping, I could also stuff in my rain jacket easily. Many people admired its UV color (it's gorgeous). The simple little shoulder strap that came with the Side Effect was very uncomfortable, so now I've ordered something heftier.

Although my husband and I have been one-bag travelers (with roll-aboards) for some time, I usually have "overflow" which finds its way into his bag. This time there was none of that and my guy was impressed.
    Darcy and backpack like this.

Oh, and I forgot, to indulge myself and because I had room in my Synapse, I also packed into into it my furry Acorn slippers and nightwear.
    Monkeylady

Nice work miss monkey! I am starting to plan for a longish trip ( for me anyway, 5 weeks to Australia from Western Canada) and posts like this give me confidence that I will be able to manage with my Synapse 25 with the Side Effect as a "pull out for the plane" bag. I will be posting here closer to departure to get feedback.

I love the coast of Oregon.

Wow! Australia! It's definitely a country on my bucket list.

If you are not needing to pack "business wear" or carry a laptop, I don't see why you couldn't easily manage 5 weeks in your Synapse. However, there are probably TBers out there who have managed big trips with laptops in their Synapses....For me, the trick is whittling down the tech gear, cameras, binocs, etc. I've noticed that in many photos of packing contents, about 75% of the pack is stuff unrelated to clothing. When we head to Ecuador in February, I'll need to carry an Imago as well, because, dang!, I can't talk myself out of my camera, my binoculars, my noise cancelling headphones, my Kindle, my iPad mini, my phone......

Laughing at your tech list - that is a nice lot of fun things! I am not so inclined but for sure need my iPad mini and maybe the iTouch. It will be strictly a casual, fun exploring trip so no business clothes or laptop.

Eucador in Feb has a nice ring to it. It is nice to get away from our wet coast for some sun in the winter.

[QUOTE=whisper;52653]Laughing at your tech list - that is a nice lot of fun things! I am not so inclined but for sure need my iPad mini and maybe the iTouch. /QUOTE]

I'm embarrassed that at my age I am into this tech stuff. I think about ditching the binocs but what if there is a spectacular bird to see or a jaguar hiding in the foliage?...ditto with the camera...what if I miss something splendid? (Actually I can't live without the camera.) The Kindle I can ditch because I can read on my ipad mini, except the screen keeps me awake at night....I could ditch the phone as my husband will carry his and actually read on his phone....I am hopeless with the tech decisions...

[QUOTE=monkeylady;52660]
    Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Laughing at your tech list - that is a nice lot of fun things! I am not so inclined but for sure need my iPad mini and maybe the iTouch. /QUOTE]

I'm embarrassed that at my age I am into this tech stuff. I think about ditching the binocs but what if there is a spectacular bird to see or a jaguar hiding in the foliage?...ditto with the camera...what if I miss something splendid? (Actually I can't live without the camera.) The Kindle I can ditch because I can read on my ipad mini, except the screen keeps me awake at night....I could ditch the phone as my husband will carry his and actually read on his phone....I am hopeless with the tech decisions...
    What kind of camera and binocular do you have monkeylady?

I have old Canon digital point and shoot, Cannon Power Shot S5 8 megapixels. I would like a smaller, lighter camera but haven't been able to justify the cost as yet.
    My binocs are great for dragging through the jungle, where we do most of our winter travel. I will not do an SLR because by the time I finish oohing and ahing about a wildlife siting, then set the camera up, the wildlife has moved on. Besides I don't want to be hauling all the gear in jungle temperatures. My honeypie husband bought me a pair of Minox 8x32 a few years back. They're small-ish, and not as heavy as grander binocs. There may well be lighter ones available that do as good a job. Dangling a camera and binocs around your neck while you're toting a pack in 90+ temps (with 90%+ humidity) is NOT fun for me. There are binoc harnesses available, but so far they have not incorporated the need to hang a camera the last time I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I have old Canon digital point and shoot, Cannon Power Shot S5 8 megapixels. I would like a smaller, lighter camera but haven't been able to justify the cost as yet.
    If and when you are ready to upgrade your camera you might want to check out the Sony DSC-RX100M2. It's about the size of a point and shoot but with much bigger sensor and a bunch of other features. A little pricey but great photos in a small package.

Good to know....I'll check it out.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0