Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Toiletries

Toiletries

Admittedly, this information may be more granular than even the most intense travel geek has interest but here are the details of my toiletries.

Name:  IMG_1092.JPG
Views: 2270
Size:  135.0 KB

I use 3 small bags to organize my toiletries.
    1. Sea to Summit Small See Pouch for liquids
    2. A slim mesh bag for contacts.
    3. A small Tumi zippered pouch for everything else.

Name:  IMG_1095.JPG
Views: 1861
Size:  174.4 KB

Liquids
    I put my liquids into several Humangear 1.25 oz GoToobs. These are very functional and extremely well designed. I have used them for over a year and have never had a leak so I am not sure why I have read reports to the contrary. I love excellent design (I carry Tom Bihn!) and the Gotoobs are a perfect example. I generally carry 3 - Toothpaste, Shaving Cream (Burts Bees), and Hair Conditioner. Hotels almost always have soap and shampoo (which I also use to wash clothes) and I typically buy sunscreen if needed. However, the Sea to Summit bag has plenty of room for 1 or 2 more Gotoobs if I should feel the need.This pouch goes in the very top of my pack, Synapse 25, so I can easily pull it out at security.

Contacts
    I wear AccuView daily wear contacts and I like to keep them in a separate pouch. I have a very slim mesh bag that I received on an airplane once, which works perfectly. This goes in the bottom pocket of my S25.

Tumi Zippered Pouch
    This is another bag I received on an international flight. It is a small nylon bag that holds all of my other gear. This goes in the main pocket of my pack.

3 Small Humangear GoTubbs One for deodorant, one for hair product, and one for Ibuprofen (the only medicine I carry). As I mentioned before, I use Primal Pit Paste for deodorant. It is completely natural (it could probably be eaten it in a pinch!) and works great with only a small amount needed. These typically go in my Tumi pouch which I never remove at security. They never cause a problem.

Merkur Travel Razor this is a safety razor that breaks down to be packed into a small leather pouch. I like this razor for two reasons, it packs small and I can carry a bunch of blades in a very small space. The same number of blades from a regular razor would take up significantly more space.

Name:  IMG_1097.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  107.0 KB

Fuchs Travel Toothbrush this toothbrush packs inside the handle to conserve space and protect the bristles like many similar brands. However, I like this brand the best because it is cleverly designed to keep the bristles off of the counter no matter in which position it is laid down while open.

Spry Dental Floss with Xylitol this is my favorite floss. I like the taste, freshness, and the dental health benefits of the Xylitol.

I also carry a small travel mirror for contacts, nail clippers, and a small bottle opener.

In total, this makes for a pretty small and organized travel toiletries set-up. I refill everything as soon as I return home and keep them packed and ready. I never use my travel gear for regular at home use. That way I do not ever have to worry whether or not I have things ready to go. With this idea plus my travel gear list, I can literally pack for a month plus trip in 10 minutes!

I am looking forward to trying the tooth powder and shaving oil suggested by Mike and Martel (in the Round the World thread). With these I hope to be able to consolidate things further.

Felices viajes, amigos!

humangear - Home
    Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear
    Primal Pit Paste
    Amazon.com: Merkur Travel Razor, Chrome-Plated, in Leather Case: Health & Personal Care
    Amazon.com: Nylon Travel Pocket Toothbrush 1 Toothbrush: Health & Personal Care
    Amazon.com: Spry Sponge Floss With Xylitol - 1 ct - Floss: Health & Personal Care

This is always a great topic. How do you like the safety razor? Been thinking of switching from a two blade Gillette to Merkur but its a little intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by martel View Post
    This is always a great topic. How do you like the safety razor? Been thinking of switching from a two blade Gillette to Merkur but its a little intimidating.
    I like it and it is really no harder to use. At first, I used it with a lot of apprehension as well but now I don't even think about it. At home I still use a Gillette Fusion but the Merkur plus blades packs so small that it wins for travel hands down.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here who obsesses over toiletries.

I've seen those GoToobs around town but haven't picked one up yet. I may get one for conditioner, because I need a lot of conditioner, LOL...
    If you need a smaller container for toothpaste, I've found that those little tubes DIY cosmetics hobbyists use to package lip glosses work well. I use them for face sunblock and moisturizer as well, because I have sensitive girly skin and need to carry my own face sunblock and moisturizer on trips.

Name:  tubes.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  187.2 KB

TSA has never stopped you about the loose blades?

Consider yourself very lucky.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I'm a fan of double edged razors too, but the blade issue is a pain. If I'm just going away for a night or two (by plane) I take a Wilkinson's sword triple blade razor, but for longer trips I have to be more inventive. Unfortunately this often means buying blades locally and that can be a bit hit or miss. Often I've ended up with Gillette or Wilkinson blades, which are bad enough, but I once ended up with a pack of no name supermarket blades which were as thick as a playing card and about as sharp too! At home I use Japanese Feather blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You're pretty happy with the primal pit -- I've never heard of it, and I'm intrigued -- but another option is one of the 'crystal' deodorants: Amazon.com: Thai Deodorants Thai Natural Crystal Deodorant Push-Up Stick 2.125 oz: Health & Personal Care

It's not a liquid at all, it's a chunk of salt, but it works great. I like it because I was having trouble finding something that 1) wasn't an antiperspirant 2) was smaller than 3 oz, and 3) didn't dehydrate during travel.

I've looked into the gotoobs. They are a great idea, but they seemed to be rather large for the amount of stuff contained. I might still get one for shampoo, but for toothpaste and meds I use something like these: Storage Stackable Clear Containers 6 For Beads Crafts Findings Other Small Items 2 " Round: Watches: Amazon.com

Each container holds 1oz, which is plenty of toothpaste for most trips. I could probably use one for the primal paste too, if I end up getting some.

What's the sephora thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    If you need a smaller container for toothpaste, I've found that those little tubes DIY cosmetics hobbyists use to package lip glosses work well. I use them for face sunblock and moisturizer as well, because I have sensitive girly skin and need to carry my own face sunblock and moisturizer on trips.
    Good idea! I will check them out - super tiny!
    I have found that the 1.25 oz GoToobs hold about the right amount for me. I like to be prepared to travel for at least a month. After that I can generally reload. Also, they just work so well - stay super clean and have a nice feel.Try one for your conditioner!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post

Maybe.... But I have been traveling basically non-stop for around 2 years and have been using this shaving set-up the entire time. Conservatively, I believe I have made something in the neighborhood of 50+ flights from US airports alone. In that time, I have never been stopped or questioned about my razor blades. However, I have had multiple tiny Swiss Army knives and small scissors taken from me (even once a nail clipper with a semi-sharp point) - sometimes out of the same little bag! So I believe those razor blades are under the threshold of the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You're pretty happy with the primal pit -- I've never heard of it, and I'm intrigued -- but another option is one of the 'crystal' deodorants: Amazon.com: Thai Deodorants Thai Natural Crystal Deodorant Push-Up Stick 2.125 oz: Health & Personal Care

It's not a liquid at all, it's a chunk of salt, but it works great. I like it because I was having trouble finding something that 1) wasn't an antiperspirant 2) was smaller than 3 oz, and 3) didn't dehydrate during travel.

I've looked into the gotoobs. They are a great idea, but they seemed to be rather large for the amount of stuff contained. I might still get one for shampoo, but for toothpaste and meds I use something like these: Storage Stackable Clear Containers 6 For Beads Crafts Findings Other Small Items 2 " Round: Watches: Amazon.com

Each container holds 1oz, which is plenty of toothpaste for most trips. I could probably use one for the primal paste too, if I end up getting some.

What's the sephora thing?
    Yes, I really like the PPP. It is coconut oil based, which has amazing properties, and can be packed into a small GoTubb making a very small package. Like you, I only want deodorant (I used Old Spice for something like 35 years!!)

I like your stackable containers but take a look at the GoTubbs. They come in two sizes (I use the small ones) and can be operated with one hand which is nice. The Humangear people put a lot of thought into the design of their products.

The Sephora thing is a little travel mirror. I need it because I wear contacts. Haha - the photo doesn't show it well!

Thanks, Mike!

I will look into the gotubbs... I haven't seen those before, and I admit the stackable things aren't ideal for everything. (They can leak a bit, and I worry toothpaste might dry out, although that didn't happen during my 3-week trip last month)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post

Frank
    BTW, I really like http://1bag1world.com. Lots of good info there!
    <=>
    JP
    Last edited by jppreston; 09-02-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one here who obsesses over toiletries.

I've seen those GoToobs around town but haven't picked one up yet. I may get one for conditioner, because I need a lot of conditioner, LOL...

Where did you get these? Perfect for sunscreen and small amounts of lotion etc...

Quote Originally Posted by martel View Post
    Where did you get these? Perfect for sunscreen and small amounts of lotion etc...
    I use about 2 ounces of moisturizer a year, so the 11ml size is perfect for me.
    I paid $5.25 for 10 tubes here:
    Squeezie

Lush makes the best deodorant. It's all natural, but it really works. I find that natural stick ones leave my clothes with a funky stink, and I get all sweaty. This stuff is powder, made with Tapioca and Coconut. Works better than anything I've ever tried.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  169.8 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0