Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Round the World with a Synapse 25

what do you wear when you go to bed?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    what do you wear when you go to bed?
    Sonic 5 inch Shorts - Icebreaker (US)

I cut the liner out.

what about on your body? thanks.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Great list, I'm planning to pack similarly for my 6 month trip to South America. I'll probably get a Smart Alec though.

Quote Originally Posted by jppreston View Post
    1 Pair Havaianas flip flops I live in these!
    Just curious... why you choose Havaianas?
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I have now switched to Luna Mono Sandals and they are AWESOME!
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  13.8 KB

so, everyone LOVES the merino wool clothing. i have never seen it in person, and i find all wool sweaters to itch me like CRAZY, while my husband does not have this issue. how do these tshirts rate on the itchy scale?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    so, everyone LOVES the merino wool clothing. i have never seen it in person, and i find all wool sweaters to itch me like CRAZY, while my husband does not have this issue. how do these tshirts rate on the itchy scale?
    Merino wool feels like butter. The only fabric I like the feel of more than merino wool is silk. To me, my merino shirts and sweaters feel like my cotton/modal blend shirts or my 100% supima cotton shirts that have been time tested: cozy and comfortable. FWIW, I'm 50/50 about wool giving me the itchies, but I have never had a problem with merino wool.

If you live near a J.Crew, the store sells merino wool sweaters every year. They aren't the best compared to Icebreaker or Smartwool, but I find their selection to be more fashion-focused so it's a good trade off for me. I think the company rolls out its autumn/fall lineup in August, so you could pop into a store to feel the fabric.
    so far: small clear OP (steel), small padded OP, small and medium DOP (burnt orange), Side Effect (black/steel), Synapse 19 (burnt orange/steel), Synapse 25 (burnt orange/steel)

want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Volunteer Moderator
    I had a chance to see the Ibex Seventeen.5 Merino Wool Tee Shirts in person a couple of weeks ago at their store in Boston, and they are amazingly soft and smooth compared to any of the best all-cotton tees I've tried. I think if you tried these on you would not have been able to register these as itchy at all (or attribute it to being wool based on your skin reaction). Of course, they also list for $85 each! (There are also men's versions of the seventeen.5 tshirts, and there are long-sleeve versions).

As far as I know, Ibex only has stores in Seattle and Boston, and this was my first opportunity to see the fabrics, after buying 1 Ibex jersey (on sale, through the web) that I like very much (after reading the forum posts). I was specifically curious about the texture and potential itchiness of all the different fabrics. The seventeen.5 fabric line was distinctly the best, in that regard. I'd have said that the other light-weight tees were OK (probably not noticeable for anyone who does not find an extreme itching reaction to wool -- but for you, maybe 2 on the scale of 10 being the most itchy), but not as good as this fabric line, which was outstanding.

I can't say anything about the Icebreaker line, because I haven't seen these in person. Maybe you could try an REI store near you? (There aren't any in Hawaii.) HTH.

moriond

P.S. I wouldn't buy these at $85 each, but I might look out for them if they went on sale.

ETA I agree with Aeon's statement, at least about the seventeen.5 quality merino wool used for tshirts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Merino wool feels like butter. The only fabric I like the feel of more than merino wool is silk. To me, my merino shirts and sweaters feel like my cotton/modal blend shirts or my 100% supima cotton shirts that have been time tested: cozy and comfortable.
    I can tell the difference in itchiness in different grades of Merino wool, but most of these have been very good.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-22-2014 at 07:06 AM.

If any of you are in the Washington DC area anytime soon, a few months ago an Icebreaker store opened in Bethesda, Maryland, which is on the metro (red line) from DC--an easy trip. I've already invested quite a bit since they opened and now won't let myself go in there unless they are having a sale

Shoebuy.com regularly has coupons and sells Ibex and Icebreaker. Free shipping both ways if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    so, everyone LOVES the merino wool clothing. i have never seen it in person…
    @luvdabags, If you are in the Washington DC area, a web search shows there is an Icebreaker store in Bethesda, MD, so it should be within easy travel on the Metro system (red line Bethesda stop):
    BETHESDA
    ICEBREAKER TOUCHLAB
    4821 BETHESDA AVE
    BETHESDA AVE, MARYLAND
    UNITED STATES
    TEL: 001 301 913 0379

Oops, sorry, didn't see Holly's post. But I'll leave up the address.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Shoebuy.com regularly has coupons and sells Ibex and Icebreaker. Free shipping both ways if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 on purchasing Icebreaker at Shoebuy. I got a lot of mine with -30% coupon. I am fussy about fabrics on my skin and have never experienced itchiness with Icebreaker products from 150 weight to 320 wt. I wear it all year. Most of the Icebreaker items are machine washable too.

Ibex retail store locator link: Ibex Retail Store Locator

Patagonia makes some merino layers too. merino*by Patagonia
    Red Ram = Icebreaker. Try Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands..

Outdoor Gear & Clothing | Run, Camp, Bike & More | Backcountry.com has Ibex/Icebreaker/Smartwool products plus their own brand, Stoic. They run sales and sometimes offer 20% coupons on one item. Some merino items end up in their outlet.

CampSaver.com :: CampSaver.com might have something in stock. They have sales all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Outside the US there are a number of online stores that sell discounted and end-of-line Icebreaker clothing - just google "icebreaker merino (name of your country)". I bought my first Icebreaker items recently to take on a long-haul trip - a t-shirt, a camisole and two pairs of socks, all well under RRP and with free shipping!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

thanks, all for the great info!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0