Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Synapse 19 packing list for summer dayhikes

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Synapse 19 packing list for summer dayhikes

Here's what I'd carry in the Synapse 19 (original!) for a long day hike in the summer, assuming I'm carrying just for myself and no one else. Note that my packing list changes considerably based on the season. I'm not claiming to be the most expertly prepared hiker or anything like that... this is just the stuff I've found that works for me. My 7D w/a 50mm lens can fit in the Synapse with this packing list, but I tend towards the Smart Alec if I'm going to take my camera. In the Shop Bag to the left is what I'd bring to leave in the car (more on that later).

Name:  synapsesummerpackinglist1.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  128.9 KB

iPhone
    Clear Organizer Wallet (a paired down version of its usual contents)
    Water Bottle
    CocoHydro evaporated coconut water packet
    Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter in a Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack (you could squeeze the water filter into a Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack, but personally I'd rather have the extra room that a Size 3 gives so that I can shove the filter back in the stuff sack if I'm in a hurry, like if there's mosquitoes)
    Topo Map
    First Aid Kit
    Extra first aid stuff: blister things, extra Benedryl (for wasp stings for humans and dogs)
    Compass
    Extra Head Lamp (something I learned from Tom: watch for sales on cheap headlamps at places like Big 5 Sporting Goods, buy several, and always take an extra with you on hikes in case you run into fellow hikers coming out late who didn't plan ahead with their own headlamp.)
    Emergency Blanket
    3D Mesh Organizer Cube in Wasabi Dyneema w/14" Key Strap in Ultraviolet
    Emergency firestarter kit
    Extra Battery for my flashlight (see below)
    Peanut Butter/Cocoa/Date/Coconut energy balls (Unless I'm actually planning to eat dinner on a hike, I don't like to take a lot of food, or particularly bulky food. I'd rather have enough to get through the hike and then eat way too much Mexican food later when we're back. That said, IMHO, it's always important to take some calorically dense food, just in case.)
    Synapse 19 (original!)
    Keys clipped to the included 8" Key Strap
    Skeletool tethered to a 14" Utility Strap (obviously useful in many situations, including hiking with dogs in porcupine country… ouch)
    HDS EDC Executive 120 tethered to an 8" Utility Strap
    Wind/sun shell
    Buff, merino wool (this and the wind/sun shell stuff into the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack in Ultraviolet)
    It gets cold/I get stuck outside warm clothing: wool tights, synthetic/fleece top with hood, wool gloves (compresses very nicely into a Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack)

Here's everything kitted up and ready to be packed:

Name:  synapsesummerpackinglist2.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  110.8 KB

Even with all of that, there's still room for more stuff...

Name:  packed.jpg
Views: 3066
Size:  96.3 KB

And here's what the Synapse 19 (again, note that it's the Original) looks like packed with all of that stuff.

Name:  synapsepackedforhiking.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  115.0 KB

In the Shop Bag is a bunch of stuff I'm likely to toss together to keep in the car. Maybe I can get back to the car, but can't get back to town/home/whatever. Or, maybe I run into people who weren't as prepared as I was and might need some of this stuff. And some of it is just stuff that's nice to have at the end of a hike.

Name:  posthikestuff.jpg
Views: 4278
Size:  111.0 KB

Gallon of water
    Chacos (nice to wear after a day of hiking in boots)
    Cotton hooded sweatshirt (Yeah, I know, cotton kills (Kenny?)
    Down jacket
    Extra pair of socks
    Bigger First Aid Kit
    Chips
    1000+ calories of almond butter, honey, sea salt, coconut in a glass jar
    Spork
    Guardian Light w/lanyard
    MICROspike crampons (I might bring those on the hike depending on what it's looking like when I get to the trailhead..)
    Dog food (I guess you wouldn't bring this if you're not hiking with dog(s)
    Lightweight umbrella (I might bring this, again depending on what it's looking like at the trailhead..)
    Hat
    Another extra headlamp
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Oot but I love your porch or however you call that haha.

Quote Originally Posted by roadpotato View Post
    Oot but I love your porch or however you call that haha.
    Me too. It's a good porch.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Awesome list, pictures and porch! (Next TB forum meetup in Darcy's backyard?)
    Its so nice to have dry/clean clothes in the car after a big day of hiking! Old university sweatshirts and plaid pajama pants are all fair game after stripping off the gore-tex and polyester and kicking off the hiking boots!

The last time I did the wet coast *ahem west coast* trail I was the envy of my less prepared hiking partner when I had a full set of clean/dry clothes waiting in the car while he had to drive to Victoria in soggy boxer shorts with the blanket from his car emergency kit wrapped around him, I'm pretty sure the blanket was made of a blend of dryer lint and fiberglass insulation pressed together. When we got to Victoria, Walmart was the only store open so he left looking like a 13 year old skateboarder. Moral of the story, bring dry clothes!

Thanks for sharing your list Darcy! I hiked in CloudCroft NM several weeks ago and my water bottle was in the lower pocket of the Aeronaut PCBP and it leaked quit a bit. All of the water stayed inside of the pocket until I opened it!! I had no idea my backpack was gonna get my feet all wet! That's how water tight the PCBP is - WOW!
    Last edited by Anniegill; 07-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.

"1000+ calories of almond butter, honey, sea salt, coconut in a glass jar"

I am assuming that this is something you mix up yourself? Can you give approximate quantities of each ingredient and how long it will stay good?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    "1000+ calories of almond butter, honey, sea salt, coconut in a glass jar"

I am assuming that this is something you mix up yourself? Can you give approximate quantities of each ingredient and how long it will stay good?
    Sure... let me work on a recipe post. It's tasty stuff. BTW: if you take it on a hike with you, I'd recommend storing it in a Nalgene PC jar.

Awesome carry Darcy

I'll add a request for the date/coconut/awesomeness balls..

Loved your post and pics Darcy!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Wonderful post Darcy!

In some states, near parks and wilderness where bears are abundant, food need to be left in special bear resistant canisters in covered cars.

Black Bear - Olympic National Park

Which lead me there:http://www.nps.gov/olym/photosmultim...er-webcams.htm

And I was able to see the wonderful transformation of a man made lake to a beautiful meadow!
    NPS: Elwha River Restoration Project

Thank you for the inspiration Darcy!
    Last edited by backpack; 07-16-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Darcy, if you want to take your DSLR and your S19, you can put your camera+ lenses into a Crumpler Haven, then drop that into the Synapse. It's just the inside parts of a camera bag without the padded bag part around it. I too, am super interested in the almond butter recipe. Sounds like a good snack for long haul flights as well.
    Yam and Grandcache like this.

Thanks for the tip about the Crumpler Haven. It appears to be just what I have been looking for so I ordered a small yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing how it works with various TB bags. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the Crumpler Haven. It appears to be just what I have been looking for so I ordered a small yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing how it works with various TB bags. :-)
    So glad I could help. Upload some photos when it arrives so we can call see how it fits with TB gear? I dont actually own one, but when I get one, it will have to be large. It will be interesting to see how yours fits.

TOBaggirl...it arrived today, but it may be going back. First the good news...it appears to be durable, the interior dividers are easily reconfigured, and it is well padded. The little mesh exterior pockets are also a plus. Unfortunately, I am spoiled by the well thought out TB straps, attachment points, and Tardy factor. The Crumpler Haven "Small" takes up quite a bit of space...it fits inside the medium cafe bag, with very little space left over. It does fit in the Synapse19 main compartment, with some room left..but not in any of the other compartments. The real kicker is that there is no way to attach a shoulder strap or a waist strap to it, so it must always occupy space inside something else. This also means access is at least a 2 step process. If you are looking for camera protection and aren't concerned about stand alone portability, this may work for you. In my opinion, TB has spoiled me...I need a portable high function case that looks good and adds joy to my travels. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0